“Great Eats, Steep Prices”
Review of Bashan Restaurant - CLOSED

Bashan Restaurant
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We enjoyed appetizers and desserts at Bashan last night. The food was uniformly excellent. We had the lobster ravioli, cauliflower soup, mushroom risotto and a few salads. For dessert, we had the chocolate bread pudding.

The cost for 8 appetizers and 2 desserts was $140--pretty expensive (that does not include tip or corkage). You get 4 lobster raviolis in a serving for $19--very expensive.

The service was attentive, not in you face.

This is a great restaurant for a special meal, but not an every day place.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hubby and I finally got here---our Groupon was about to expire! Overall, a very enjoyable experience. Quite pricey, but everything was really delicious. I had a spoonful of Hubby's cauliflower soup and it was delicious. I had the duck breast---outstanding! Hubby had pork tenderloin I believe, and said it was very good, not dry (even though he asked them to cook it WELL). Then we shared the panna cotta. Really good. Service was great even though they were very busy. It's a small place with a difficult entry, but I did not feel cramped nor hurried. Wish it was closer (and maybe a little less $$) to us!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

You can tell immediately that you are in for a good experience. The friendly greeting, the great service and the innovative dishes make it worth driving to Glendale. It is a small space and not as comfortable as I would have liked. The parking is on the street, no valet. I didn't see a bar so I assume it is only wine and beer. I recommend reservations because it is busy and I saw some people waiting outside for over half an hour for a table. There is no room to wait inside. I would have rated 5 star if not for the above objections. Probably better to keep it small and easy for the chef to handle than to expand and have to depend on others for help. Go with what is successful.
Entrees average about $28. Dinner which was one salad, 2 entrees, 1 dessert,1 tea w. tax and tip $110. Pricey for a storefront restaurant.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Bashan's does not look like much from the outside, but inside is some of the most creative food in Glendale. Maybe the most creative. Be prepared to spend about $50 or more per person. And is often the case with fancy food, the portions are small. However, the food is so rich that you end up feeling more than satisfied. The appetizers are spectacular--the squid and albacore sashimi we had last night were among the best versions of those dishes we have ever had. And the olive oil poached salmon was a revelation. Be sure to make reservations as their small dining room is almost always booked in advance.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

A recent review stated that people who go here are "food lovers who can't believe a place of this quality exists in Montrose." There are many good restaurants in Montrose and this has to be one of the best for food. As a local, it really is in Montrose, not Glendale. This visit was on our traditional Thursday "date night." We had been here before, but not for a long time. Our date nights usually are not so pricy. We had the three course prix fixe with wine pairings. Our main entrees were scallops and salmon. The interesting wine pairings were a Chardonnay with the salmon (ok) but a Pinot noir with the scallops (odd). The scallops had a fairly hearty sauce with chorizo, so I could see the logic, but I did not find it a good match. The Chardonnay was quite oaky, which my wife does not care for, so --- we switched wines. We arrived early and were only the second table occupied, but by the time we left the place was nearly full. A good sign for such a small hidden place. The service was very good, except I couldn't help notice a few slights: our wine pours seemed light compared to others I saw go by, plus others got a lemon slice in their water and we did not. Unimportant really, but for the price, one expects perfection. It was a "special" date night.