“Not Your Standard Embassy Suite”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles Glendale
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I am somewhat of a road warrior and have stayed in Embassy Suites in Lake Buena Vista (Disneyworld), South DFW, Arcadia California, and San Diego to name a few.

This Embassy Suites was finished being built new in late 2008. It is across the parking lot from my company's corporate office All the other Embassy's I have stayed in are quite a bit older.

It is a very nice hotel but the rooms are not what you expect. Most Embassy Suites are built around an central enclosed atrium. There may be a few left over out there that are not, but that is their standard configuration. The rooms in a standard Embassy Suites are laid out in what is called a "shotgun" configuration where you enter the living room from the front door and go through the living room into the bedroom which is in back. Most have windows in the living room that look out on the walkway and atrium and windows in the bedroom that look outside the hotel.

At this new Embassy Suites in Glendale, this is not the case. There are no windows along the walkway. The rooms are laid out in what is called "side by side". When you enter the suite, the living room is on the left (or right) and the bedroom is through the door in front of you. The windows in both rooms of my suite looked outside of the hotel. But, there are some rooms where the windows look out into the atrium of the hotel.

There are a few things about this hotel that I have a problem with. The room I stayed in was a single king and a double queen may be different. If you are planning on staying for a length of time and want to unpack your belongings, there is almost no drawer space available. There is none in the living room for anybody who wants to sleep on the fold out couch. In the bedroom, there was one small drawer in each bedside table and two small drawers about the same size in the TV stand. That is the total usable drawer space for the suite.

There is a closet with a rod in the living room and one in the bedroom about the size of a coat closet in most average homes. And in one of the closets was a luggage rack which I was able to put my suite case on to live out of.

Another interesting feature with this suite was that it had only one bathroom sink and that was in the bathroom. Most, if not all the other Embassy Suites I have stayed in had an additional bathroom sink outside the bathroom so that two people can use a sink at the same time. It did have a small bar sink like most other Embassy Suites.

There is another problem with the bathroom which they may correct in the future if enough people complain. There are no towel racks, rings or hooks in the bathroom. There is a bathrobe (if you brought your own) hook. The counter space around the sink is not that large. Because there are no towel racks, the face cloths, hand towels, tissue box, water glasses and the standard bathroom amenities take up most of the counter top so you have almost not place to put your tooth paste and shave cream. On the open shelf below are the bath towels and hair dryer. A female colleague of mine commented that her 50 pounds of beauty would end up some place else.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed April 25, 2009

I hope this review gets read by a lot of people, especially the Hilton's CEO. If he or she hasn't read this, please feel free to forward this to them. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Glendale, California. It is simply a beautiful hotel with beautiful suites. It felt like being in a ritzy condo that was super clean and chic. I wouldn't even call it a suite, as it felt like a bigger one bedroom place. There is nothing bad to say at all about the quality of the look of the Embassy Suites hotel here in Glendale. The decor was great and it actually had nice hip carpeting, not that horrible cheesy, floral, gaudy carpeting like some hotels have. I think some chains think the brighter and gaudier the floral pattern, the better. This hotel wasn't like that. Upon check-in, we were treated absolutely like celebrities even though we're not by a person named Gerry. He really made our check-in great and gave us a lovely room with a wonderful view simply because I asked for a room with a mountain view. I wish everyone could be as good as he at their job, me included. They had a nice complementary cocktail reception in the evening and our bartender Joe was very personable and equally treated us very well. He did seem super careful though about checking to make sure we were really staying there asking if we had just checked in because he didn't see us on whatever list he had to check. He was just doing his job though and I have nothing bad to say about that.

The next day, that's when it all went downhill. My husband and I got up for the lovely complimentary breakfast. It was a really nice spread with fresh fruit, and made to order omlettes and waffles. I love the places that have waffles as it's just that nice extra treat that you don't have time to ever do at home. They also had the nice sides such as pancakes, scramled eggs, breads/bagels, hashbrowns, pastries, cereals, yogurts, etc. It was a 10 out of 10 in terms of the quality of food. It was so nice in fact, that I talked with my husband about inviting my brother who lives in town to possibly join us the next day. Since we were visiting from out of town, I thought we could have some quality time with my little bro who lives here in Southern California. I had to go back up to the room to get something, so I called downstairs to ask if my brother could join us the next day and if there was an extra charge for that as there were two of us staying in the room currently. The woman at the front desk said it would be free as there were only two adults in the room. I then said, "are you sure, I don't want to come down tomorrow with my brother and there be an issue, etc. Can you please double check that". She said she would double check and I was put on hold. Then she came back and said, "It will be $9.95 (or whatever the price was) unless he was staying in the room." I said, so if he stays in the room he eats for free, but if he doesn't, then there's an extra charge." She said that was correct. Mind you, the reason I asked was to obviously be honest and on the up and up. The second reason I asked was that there was such a ruckus going on with the staff trying to police the breakfast area from potential freeloaders who perhaps weren't staying there. As we were enjoying our breakfast that morning, the breakfast police were there harrassing another group of people eating breakfast inquiring whether they were really staying there, etc. It made me very uncomfortable sitting there listening to a CSI type of investigation by hotel staff to the small group of people behind me. It's not the kind of thing you want to hear when you are trying to enjoy a fine cup of Starbucks coffee first thing in the morning. I go on vacation to not think aout work and stress...If Embassy Suites wants to police breakfast rights, then they need to figure out a better way to do that. Here's a suggestion, don't allow anyone into the area until you've verified that they are staying there. There was a woman working at the podium stand taking names down, etc., but clearly, this group of 4 had slipped through--otherwise, why would she have been interrogating them? Even if they weren't staying at the hotel, I don't want to feel uncomfortable listening to people get in trouble. Just let them stuff their faces til their hearts content on the nice buffet since clearly they somehow just got in. I don't want to have to listen to people getting grilled. You would have thought they committed a felony, not breakfast buffet overstuffing homicide. My husband on the other hand found it entertaining watching people "get busted" by the breakfast police. He likes to watch people get busted by police for some reason as it's like reality TV to him. It's an upscale hotel and an upscale hotel should figure out a better way to deal with potential breakfast buffet violators. I say the word "potential" because who knows what the story with the people sitting behind us was. Maybe they had been given the wrong information by the same woman at the front desk...who knows!!! Perhaps there was a bit of a language barrier as well and they could have been innocent. I felt bad for them either way.

Anyway, after I came back downstairs to enjoy the rest of my nice omlette and coffee, we chatted with the friendly staff, etc. and went to leave. My husband noticed our last name with our room number and number of guests (2) written out by itself on a separate piece of paper at the breakfast police podium--like we were criminals or potential would be breakfast buffet criminals for the next day. He commented to me, "Look, they wrote out our name because you called down asking about your brother." At first, I said, "noooohhhhh, they wouldn't do that. I was being HONEST and called down to ask about him for tomorrow". Then I saw what he was talking about when I looked at the breakfast police podium. I was so offended that I immediately went to the front desk (my husband said to let it go and he was going to go and relax in the room) and she did say she had called the breakfast police lady to tell them how many people in our party, etc. (she didn't actually use the term of art "breakfast police" as my husband gets credit for that term). I then told her how I was absolutely offended because I was honest enough to call her that morning. She really looked dumfounded because she was frankly just a kid and I'm guessing this was just her first job. She didn't say anything more. Poor thing. I then went to the breakfast police lady at the podium and she acted like they take a list count of everyone which true, but didn't answer why our name was signaled out on a separate piece of paper by itself with the number in our room, and that no other party after us had been written out on a separate piece of paper. When I "outted" her on this, she admitted that they have an issue with people sneaking in. I was so offended again (and my husband was right) that they had singled us out that I explained that it was me who called down earlier not too long before to ask about possibly adding another person to our party for breakfast for the next day and what the cost would be. I then explained how the lady at the front desk was wrong saying it was free and that I asked her to double check and then was given the cost, etc. She said how the lady had the wrong information at the front desk and feebly said she was sorry. I didn't care about a charge the next day, but cared that our name was added to a special list. Clearly, she was just doing what she was told and trying to prevent breakfast buffet violators I guess...This is a Embassy Suites management issue, not her issue. She needs perhaps buffet back up units to help her prevent buffet offense perpetrators. I have some tips later on how to help her.
Frankly I think she was stunned that my husband noticed our name had been added to a separate piece of paper and that I called it to her attention that I wasn't happy about that. To be clear, I could care less that there would be an extra charge for my brother if he wanted to even join us the next day. What was really annoying is that we were thought of as "would be breakfast buffet criminals" for the next day. I guess Embassy/Hilton doesn't differentiate between regular guests, non-guests, and silver/ frequest guests like my husband...

I simply think it was completely disrespectful to do such a thing like add our names to a separte list in anticipation of Embassy staff thinking we were going to sneak my brother in the next day for breakfast... Regardless of what they say, this is what we experienced and we caught them on it. My husband stays at Embassy Suites a lot for business and I don't want to stay at a Hilton owned chain again like an Embassy Suites again.

I asked the front desk lady to talk to a manager, but one wasn't in at the time she said. I would think a manager would be in the hotel at all times, but apparently not...When the manager Grace came in, she got the issue. Thank you Grace. I didn't need to explain why I was so offended because she got it. She made me laugh when I told her about the breakfast buffet ruckus with the other party being busted. She said she'd comp my brother for the next day, but I said we didn't need or want it, but she said she would anyway. She did say though she'd talk to both individuals to see what happened. Truly dislike when managers say that because you know they'll get an entirely different story from their staff...It's like breakfast buffet court. Her guess on why our name was singled out was in case we had any questions. It didn't really make sense, but I think she was just trying to do her job in such an unsual situation. I did say obviously we wouldn't have any questions since I had called down to the desk. Since we are still staying at the hotel because we frankly don't feel like changing hotels at the end of our vacation and are using hotel points since my husband is silver class with the chain, my husband thinks because I'm writing this review that now we'll lose our complimentary cocktail privilege pass (he's just kidding). I think Embassy should just give a shiny badge to the breakfast buffet hostess. I don't mean to get her in trouble or anyone else, but clearly Embassy has an issue with people sneaking in and it shouldn't mean that others have to feel uncomfortable...like they are trying to pull a fast one (or have to watch others getting interrogated) Guests shouldn't even know there is an issue. It should all be "behind the scenes stuff". To summarize to the Hilton/Embassy CEO if they even care about our experience on April 25th, 2009 1. there's a lack of proper training with the basics with certain staff as I didn't ask a very complicated question to the front desk. 2. there appears to be a lack of proper security in the hotel because if you can't police the breakfast buffet area, I can't image what the rest of the hotel security is like...Simple walkie talkies could be used to check names with the front desk if you care that much about the breakfast buffett before letting people in. Or, they could put a velvet rope (that would be more upscale than a metal turnstyle thing) that could only be opened by the breakfast cop. My husband said they could just get a lap top at the breakfast podium and they could identify how many people in each room at that moment. In my opinion in all seriousness for better over all security outside of the buffet, your plastic key card should be needed to go up the elevator and on to your floor like the W does.
I'd love to share my prior experience at another Hilton hotel because that story beats this one two fold, but I'm too tired to write it out. If the CEO actually cared about that other experience, they can contact me as Grace probably recalls our name. I frankly forgot Hilton owns Embassy, and if I had remembered that, perhaps we would have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
19  Thank hailes
Reviewed April 20, 2009

HOTEL REVIEW # 171 Embassy Suites, Glendale

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Good, walking distance to restaurants.

TYPE OF ROOM: Standard suite

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Bed was comfortable but not as good as a Heavenly bed. Pillows were very good down and the linens were of good quality.

LIGHTING: Good lighting in bedroom, bathroom, and living room.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Nice looking but the entire floor would get soaked with water after a shower. Water pressure is medium with consistently hot water. I didn’t like that the shower floor towel was placed on the toilet prior to use.

TOILETRIES: Nice, probably worth taking home.

CLEANLINESS: Hotel is very new and everything is very clean.

A/C: Never used.

CLOSET SPACE: Didn’t use.

STYLE OF ROOM: The living area was a bit smaller than other Embassy suites that I have stayed at but the room was very comfortable.

COMMON AREA: Nice, not much of a place to hang out, just eat and check-in.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: I had a top floor room which was very quiet. The curtains would block all morning light.

FOOD: Breakfast is included and impressive for no additional charge. Cooked omelets, pancakes, cereals, muffins, juices. Way better than a typical no cost hotel buffet.

TV/INTERNET: Many stations but they took too long to switch from one channel to the next. Didn’t use the internet.

SERVICE: Staff was nice but no unusual requests were requested.

SUMMARY: Probably the best place in Glendale to stay and even though there are some issues. Upper floor rooms have a decent view of the hills and city and definitely try to stay away from the rooms that look into the courtyard as opposed to the outside. Also there is a $15/day parking charge whether you valet or self park.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2009

We stayed here the last two nights of our spring break also having stayed at the Embassy Suites in Anaheim(south) and Valencia while we hit all the theme parks. I'm an Honors member and book Embassy when traveling with our teenagers for the two room suites, breakfasts, and knowing we can pack light with laundry rooms available. On my room preferences for all Hilton family hotels I have away from elevator as my request. Upon check-in we were given a room directly across from the elevator. We we're too tired from our day and didn't ask to be moved. I had been doing a load of laundry each morning when I went to the fitness center during our trip since I get up a couple hours earlier than the rest of my family. Well they didn't have laundry facilities here, told me I could do my laundry at the Hilton. Well if I'd known that, I'd have booked the Hilton. And if I hadn't booked and paid the advance rate at Embassy's website, we'd have moved to the Hilton. Using their requests on arrival on the website I had also requested extra towels (four in our traveling party). When I went to hit the shower after working out, I realized we only had 3 towels, and no batmat. So I got dressed again since no one else was awake yet, called the front desk to get another towel and a bathmat, and waited for them to be delivered ( I think I waited 15 minutes) and then showered. Upon coming home and checking my Honors account I found that the property had only given me 10% of the points I should have earned in my Honors account and I had to call Hilton and initiate a case to get my points. Of the 3 Embassy Suites we stayed at, this was the most expensive and had the worst service. I highly recommend staying elsewhere until they can get their issues figured out.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2009

Our family of four (2 adults and 2 boys, ages 13 and 9) stayed at the Embassy Suites in Glendale in March 2009 for 3 nights. We like Embassy Suites because of the separate living room/bedroom areas, and the free breakfasts and afternoon manager’s reception. This hotel did not disappoint, and we enjoyed our stay.

Check-in was no problem. Front desk staff was courteous. We were given a room that overlooked the atrium. I was not happy with this, as I wanted a room with a view and natural light. My husband went down to the front desk to request the change, and was given a new room with no problems. We were lucky—the hotel was relatively empty while we were there. A room change might not be possible on a busy day/weekend. Room was great—everything was brand new. Pull-out sofa didn’t have sheets on it, so we called housekeeping and they were there within minutes. One day housekeeping did not leave clean cups or replenish the coffee. I mentioned this to the front desk, and it was, again, taken care of immediately.

We parked in the parking garage under the hotel. Charge was $15/day (I think). Wasn’t crazy about this, but paying to park seems to be the norm in the LA area. The hotel is located just a block north of the 134/Ventura Freeway. It was very easy to get to off of the Fwy. You can see the hotel from the highway. Traffic noise was not a problem for us in our room, as we were on the opposite side of the hotel, facing the mountains.

Atrium and Lobby: As typical for the Embassy Suites chain, the lobby area was large and open. Roof was 11 stories up and the area was always bright. There is a waterfall and coy pond in the lobby. My 2 boys loved going there to watch the fish—they even gave a few of them names. There are stepping stones in the pond, which they used, after asking the front desk if they could.

Breakfast & Afternoon Manager’s Reception: Area is new and clean. Staff was very nice and constantly cleaning and replenishing items. Because the hotel was not booked we didn’t have to wait for anything. The make-your-own omelet station was great: All of the ingredients (approx 10-12, all fresh) were in separate bowls, and you put the items you wanted into a small bowl and then handed the bowl to the cook. Starbucks coffee is used. Also out in the morning: bagels, bread, Danish, yogurt, eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, potatoes, etc. In the afternoon, beer, wine, drinks and soft drinks are available for no charge from 5:30 to 7:30pm. They also put out a fresh veggie platter and 1 hot item: we had Swedish meatballs one night, and then 2 different pizzas the next 2 nights. Pizza was good! Made from scratch (I think….tasted like it!) from fresh sub rolls (tasted better than it sounds).

Pool Area/Fitness center: The pool and hot tub are outside. This surprised me, as usually the pool is inside in an Embassy Suites. One son loves to swim, so we went down to the pool to “check it out.” Since the weather during our visit was only 60-65 degrees, they must heat the pool, because he went right it. It felt fine to me. It is covered, and enclosed on 3 of the four sides. Hot tub is adjacent to pool. Fitness center is next to this area, and overlooks it and the street. (Didn’t use the equipment, so I can’t comment on it.) Where they placed the pool, in the complex, was odd. It was on the second floor, in the corner of the building that overlooks the busy street and driveway to enter the hotel. So, it was quite noisy and didn’t seem very private.

I don't think their business center is open, however they did have a conference table area set-up with 2 computers that you could use free-of-charge. We just asked the front desk for the password...it was nice to have it available. Don't know about WiFi in room-- didn't have a need for it.

Glendale Area: After sightseeing all day, we did not want to drive anywhere in the evening for dinner. So, all 3 nights, we walked to dinner. Brand Avenue—where all of the restaurants are-- is an easy 6-8 block walk. We walked over the Freeway with no problems. Just watch the lights and pedestrian signals for crossing the exit/entrance ramps. Felt very safe in the neighborhood. There are many excellent restaurants to choose from. We ate at El Morfi Grill (South American cuisine) and Damons (excellent steaks & prime rib). Both I recommend. The 3rd evening we ate at a 24-hour restaurant right next to the hotel. (I can’t remember the name.) It reminded me of an up-scale Denny’s. Staff was nice, food OK. Porto’s Bakery, on Brand Ave., is supposed to be excellent, but we never made it in. By the time we finished our dinners, they were closed.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel. Please see photos I have posted with this review.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Sue_Va44
Reviewed February 24, 2009

This is a brand new hotel, so everything is very nice, clean and new. The rooms are typical Embassy Suites with a small living room and separate bedroom. One thing that isn't typical is the fact that many of the rooms overlook the atrium. Instead of a view of the mountains or street or anything else outside, we had a view of the hallway and elevator out our windows. A big disappointment. Make sure you book a room with an outside view if you plan to stay here.

The manager's reception was better than most Embassy Suites. They actually had hot pizza-type snacks. And breakfast was great.

The valet parking is up and running, and the attendants were very good. Make sure to call ahead for your car, though. Ours was waiting for us when we got down there, but other people were waiting.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Calif0rnia_traveller
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Brand new hotel so it is extremely clean, modern, and up to date. I had a 1 bedroom suite, kids slept on the pullout sofa bed. Excellent value and free breakfast is not just bagels and coffee. Hot buffet breakfast with an egg chef for omelettes and fresh waffles. Used as location for time at Universal Studios attraction. Also near America Way shopping/restaurant district.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Bears70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glendale
Hilton Los Angeles North / Glendale & Executive Meeting CTR
#4 of 18 in Glendale
Hotel Xilo Glendale
Hotel Xilo Glendale
#14 of 18 in Glendale

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles Glendale? Share your experiences!