“Great place, but a couple weird flaws”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles Glendale
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This was my first time staying at the ESLA, and it is a very nice hotel. I was there for business for two nights, and was upgraded to 1225, a mountain view suite right in front of the elevators on the top floor. Excellent location right off the freeway, close to BUR, Studio City, downtown LA, Zoo, Hollywood Bowl and everything you want to do while in LA.

Staff is very pleasant, with the exception of the front desk which is mixed. I stood at the front desk to check in for about 5 minutes before being acknowledged or even eyeballed. Once in the room, which was clean and spacious, all was well. Only a couple things I would change:

1. TVs take forever to warm up. You think they aren't working--just turn them on and sit down and wait for a couple of minutes. They should pop on. This was an issue with both flat screen TVs--not sure if it is a Direct TV issue or what.

2. Elevators smell really bad. Like airport bathroom bad. A back office admin employee asked me in the garage elevator on her way home how things were with my stay and I mentioned "great, except the elevators all have a bad smell". She was surprised, but said she would say something. About an hour later, I returned to that elevator and it was obvious someone had sprayed it down. I was impressed she went ahead and made a call and had it fixed--albeit temporarily.

3. Breakfast average and typical for a ES--it's free and generally plentiful.

4. Happy Hour/Drinks are provided with what appears to be a full bar. Nice for many--but EVERYONE was ordering cilantro margarita drinks, and the line was really really really long, as the bartender was making them fresh. I'm sure they were good, but very annoying for those in line, especially those just wanting a beer or wine. They either need another bartender or need to cut down on the specialty drinks.

5. Internet is wired only, and not as fast as I would have liked. They were updating the internet when I checked out on 9/16, so not sure if they were increasing the wireless coverage. This is not convenient, especially in today's world with multiple wireless connections needed.

Everything else was great. It seems to be a very new hotel, with convenient, cheap (by LA standards-$15/nt) parking. I'd go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,404)

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We recently returned from our trip to Southern California and enjoyed a couple nights at this hotel. The rooms are spacious, clean and well-kept. We were on the eighth floor and didn't notice any noise from traffic, etc. The location of this hotel is awesome to enjoy all that LA offers. It's only about 15 minutes away (at most) from Griffith Observatory - we went up there both nights during our stay. Also, it's close to Hollywood. We enjoyed touring the Forest Lawn Cemetary, Hollywood walk of Fame, and I was in the Price is Right audience one afternoon. We also spent an afternoon in Beverly Hills looking at the stars homes (although most of them can't be seen well) There is an awesome park in Beverly Hills (Greystone Mansion) that was beutiful.

The breakfast was awesome here and is a definite advantage to choosing this hotel. The omelet chef will make a gigantic omelet for you, or you can have cereal, oatmeal, fruit or anything else. The happy hour was also great and we enjoyed beer/wine each night and some tasty hors d'oeurves.

The only thing I wasn't impressed with here was the gym - it's really, really small. But my wife who has travelled extensively tells me that's not unusual for an Embassy Suites.

Overall we were very pleased with this hotel and would return.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at this Embassy Suites and I felt welcomed from the moment of checkin. Their customer service was amazing and we felt like home especially with their complementary breakfast. After first day the staff knew where we would sit, how many people and if we wanted coffee. We look forward to going back in April 2012.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an exterior room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I am a light sleeper so I don't like sharing a room with the kids. ;-) We typically only stay at hotels that offer 1 bedroom suites, so that my 2 kids can sleep in the living room/pull out sofa. My favorite hotels are Embassy Suites because they are reasonably price, generally look nice and because of the fantastic free hot breakfast. This hotel is located in a commercial/business district directly off the freeway, but there is a restaurant within walking distance. The decor of the hotel is beautiful. The lobby is large and open with an awesome koi pond with turtles and a few stepping stones. My kids loved it! Our room was beautiful and spacious as well. Granite sinks/expresso furniture. The gym is 24 hours and each piece of cardio equipment has an individual TV. (2 treadmills, 2 elliptical, 2 bikes, free weights). The pool was AWESOME!!! The warmest pool I have ever been in. I'm cold natured and don't really like having to get my body temp acclimated to pool temps, so I rarely use pools. The pool was unbelievably warm! The staff was nice and responsive. We were coming from the east coast so I woke up at 4:00 PST to go to the gym. There was no water in the dispenser. I called the front desk since their is a telephone in the gym and they brought water and extra towels. When we travel back to LA we will defintely always stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank areuready
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel on a free certificate. The property has a very pleasant appearance and appear to be fairly new. It has rooms on either side of the isle, with one side facing the outside of the building (King rooms) and the other facing the atrium (double rooms). The double rooms are a bit cramped and narrow compared to most Embassy Suites. The two beautify flat screen TVs did not work. Signal would fade in and out and after a short while, we gave up. However, the hotel does have a wonderful breakfast. There is a parking fee of $15.

During checkin, I requested if an upgrade to a corner room would be possible. I'm a Hilton Diamond member and although an upgrade is not a privilege at Embassy Suites, when I'm travelling with my family, I ask for one to make the stay special. Typically a clerk would then check for room availability and either offer me an upgrade or state that none was available. Usually if an upgrade is available, especially late in the evening, one will be offered to me. I have been offered wonderful upgrades at hotels much better than this one. In this case, the response was rather rude. In a rather rude manner, the clerk stated that the rate for the corner rooms were $400+ per night. Perhaps she felt that my request was inappropriate and she had to take it upon herself to protect the interest of the hotel. Since her response did not directly answer my request, I have to surmise that this rather rude and untrained clerk must be having a bad evening. I was so flabbergasted by her response that I did not press further.

So, for the hotel itself I would give it a rating of 4.5, and for the service, a rating of 0, which results in a rather generous rating of 2. A service business has a responsibility to employ trained service professionals. In this case, the clerk was neither trained nor professional.

1  Thank davelnca
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Had the family stay here for 2 nights due to construction in our house in nearby Burbank.
The hotel was nice and I was suprised that this Embassy Suites had INTERIOR rooms with NO outside view..that was somewhat ok because we live here - not mentioned on the website.

What was NOT ok was the rude breakfast cook who referred to my wife as ( [--] and then some, in spanish) not knowing that my wife ( who is blonde with green eyes) understands spanish slang and bad words. I expressed my concern with Vincent who was great. With Glendale being a melting pot, I would suggest that the staff speak in one language and refrain form insulting their customers in a different language..Ed, Burbank [--] - looking forward to a call from the Hotel manager soon. I will also be making a corporate complaint on this- unacceptable.

1  Thank Ed P
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Glendale for a wedding we were attending at Occidental College on July 30, 2011. What a truly lovely hotel. Our two room suite was very comfortable and spacious. The lobby is beautiful and family friendly. They have a pond in the entry that has stepping stones to walk out and view the fish. In the morning we enjoyed a full breakfast cooked to order. Our stay at the hotel really enhanced the wedding and made it seem like a vacation weekend. Thank you Embassy Suites & staff!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glendale
Hilton Los Angeles North / Glendale & Executive Meeting CTR
#7 of 18 in Glendale
3 mi away
SpringHill Suites Los Angeles Burbank/Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Burbank Downtown

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles Glendale? Share your experiences!