“Asian-influenced secluded getaway-Great Breakfast!”

Gaige House + Ryokan, a Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Glen Ellen B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2008

My girlfriend and I were on a whirlwind tour driving from LA up the PCH to Sonoma and Napa. We stayed one night in off-the-beaten path Glen Ellen and loved our stay! We were upgraded to a suite (complimentary), and stayed in Woodside, which had a nice Zen-like modern bed and breakfast elegance. The suite had an idyllic bamboo leaf-filled private backyard with 2 chaise lounges overlooking a creek. The bed was comfortable, dimmable lighting throughout, roaring gas fireplace warmed up a chilly night, the provided CDs set a nice lounge mood. There was a fridge with bar sink and requisite wine opener. The Japanese bathroom featured a freestanding stainless soaking tub for 2 w/ bamboo tub filler, stainless freestanding washstand, and bamboo towel rack. Room had complimentary wireless internet and a lounge area.

The morning breakfast for $15/pp was excellent. Fruit salad on a maize pastry, freshly baked scones, poached egg in hollandaise sauce and prosciutto with a nice side salad and fresh squeezed OJ. Cookies, coffee, tea left in the lounge for a midnight snack.

We also booked massages for the 2 of us. Reasonably priced at $120/pp for an hour. I didn't like the reflexology-it was just a glorified foot massage, but my GF enjoyed the deep tissue massage.

Great location minutes away from the vineyards, but in a quiet section of the valley.

Front desk was friendly and helpful with directions and recommendations of vineyards.

Highly recommended.

How we booked it: Travelocity. $280.00

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VertigoSeoul

Reviewed January 6, 2008

Great place! This is where I got engaged and it was worth it!
I went all out and booked the Gaige room suite. Great room! Had its own private balcony and a huge bathroom with very large tub an even bigger shower. Free wine tasting each evening which is nice. This is a great location in quiet Glen Ellen. Walking distance to a few very good restaurants.
Breakfast at the hotel is ok. It use to be included which would make it better but now you pay (about $30/ea) for it. It is average, not great. If you stay for a few nights only do it once. They have a nice quiet pool that rarely has anyone in it.
I would go back. The staff it's the best but you don't really have to deal with them.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mattlincoln49
Reviewed December 14, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Gaige House during our recent trip to wine country. The location was great, the staff - though at times pretentious - were helpful and friendly, and the room was furnished very nicely. I don't like the frilly Victorian look that a lot of B&B's go for, so this place, in terms of design, was right up my alley. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that we were invited down to breakfast and then charged at the very end. Don't get me wrong, the food and coffee were pretty amazing, but I hate being surprised by bills I'm not expecting.

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Every guide book raves about the Gaige House in Sonoma Valley, CA, and honestly, it is not a bad place to stay, but it is far from the amazing experience one might expect given all the hype. I suspect all the raves are based on the newer, standalone suites behind the main, historic inn. These start at $500 a night, however, so my hubbie and I opted for the "affordable" ($300/night with tax) rooms in the main house. Our room was spacious and nicely decorated--but it was just at the top of the stairs with the bed by the door. A surprising amount of road noise wafted in from the bathroom window. And a huge amount of space was taken up by a walk-in closet that few weekend travelers can have much use for.

Oh, and breakfast was not included in that $300 pricetag--it cost us $30 more for two plates of fancy eggs. Service was sniffy--no one ever asked if we had questions or what we thought of the place.

My advice: go deluxe or don't bother.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kelli K
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Just back from Sonoma and stayed at the Gaige. The website makes it look wonderful. What they don't tell you is that the main photo is a small section where some newer suites were located. The rest of the facility is much different.

We arrived to find a B&B literally next to shanty homes on one side, a property with a horse and manure bordering the pool area, and a house across the street with a boat on trailer and a barking dog......hardly lux.

A middle aged woman checked us in who had major attitiude. We were escorted to our room, which was practically in a basement, small, dark and had a double bed (they said a queen). After much fussing, they begrudgingly switched our room to one with a larger bed but a terrible bathroom (old, some mold in the grout and hot water interrupted). The new room had a view of the shanty houses in disrepair. Hardly spa like.

The breakfasts were good (the ONLY highlight) but the place was a real disappointment. There are so many better places to stay for $400.00 per night. Trust me. Unless you like funky grunge and attitude, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank denaliNewYork
Reviewed October 27, 2007

We were on a driving vacation early in September, from Tacoma to San Luis Obisbo and back to San Francisco, along the coast and wanted to stay in the Napa/Sonoma area. We picked up on the Gaige House after staying at as very nice B&B in Mendocino. Although a little on the pricey side, we got a discount when we called for reservations and it turned out to be fabulous. The food was first rate, the grounds and the pool were beautiful and the service in general was terrific.
It was walking distance from several other very nice restaurants and it was peaceful and quiet. In room Hispeed was very fast and I don't recall paying extra for it either. The next day we visited several nearby wineries and explored a narrow winding road (Trinity Rd, off Hwt 12 a few miles north) that took us over the hills separating the Sonoma Valley from the Napa Valley. This is a place we will definitely go back to the next time we want to spend time in this part of California. By the way, they are now part of a small boutique
hotel chain, Thompson Hotels with properties in New York and Hollywoood.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank koliba
Reviewed October 16, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed at the Gaige House during a weekend trip to Napa/Sonoma for crush. Given the time of season we paid $400 plus tax per night for a standard room. We stayed in the main house, which was adequantely furnished - nothing special other than an interesting piece of art over the bed. The bed was very comfortable and linens were in good condition. The bathroom was a little dated, but the toilet and shower head had been updated to be more modern. My only compliant about the room was that it was in the front of the house so we heard a lot of road noise since the house sits on Arnold Drive. I'm sure rooms in the rest of the house or out back don't have this problem. Given the price, this left a bad taste in my mouth, but this was the cheapest room available at the property even several months in advance.

The staff is very attentive without being overbearing. There is a nightly wine service in the main house and cookies, sodas and coffee available 24 hours a day. We didn't get the chance to experience breakfast, but we heard rave reviews from others.

The property is walking distance to Glen Ellen although there isn't much there save a few restaurants. We spent most of our time in Napa, but drove the 15 minutes to Sonoma for dinner one night. Overall, if you want to explore the wineries in the Sonoma Valley or further north, this isn't a bad option - especially if you can go mid-week and get a lower rate. Had we paid $200 a night I would have no complaints.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
#3 of 11 in Sonoma
Vintners Inn
Vintners Inn
#2 of 25 in Santa Rosa

Been to Gaige House + Ryokan, a Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!