“Best meal of our trip...”
Review of Glen Ellen Star

Glen Ellen Star
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Glen Ellen
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Amazing fresh foods cooked in a wood-fired oven.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Be sure to sit at the bar to watch all of the action in this tiny, perfect restaurant. The entire team made us feel welcome. Service and food were outstanding.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I had our first trip together out without our children for our 13th anniversary! I called to make a reservation and can't remember who i spoke to, but it was a woman. I wanted to make the reservation for 7pm. She told me that they don't take reservations between 6:15 and 7:45. I asked if they would make an acception due to the special occasion and she said "we don't make acceptions". I was about to just not go there, but we decided to go because of all the great reviews about their food and I figured that she was probably just having a bad day. When we arrived for our reservation about 5 minutes early and the woman that was at the hostess stand was in no way friendly. She didn't even smile, or say hello when we walked up. She just said "do you have a reservation" but they way she said it made it seem like we were interrupting her and us being there was a huge inconvenience. When we gave her our name she told us we were too early for our table and had to wait. She was just so rude that I told my husband I didn't even want to eat here. So we just walked away and ended up at the Fig Cafe just a few doors down from them and that was an amazing experience and totally made up for the rudeness of the Glen Ellen Star.

4  Thank Molly S
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This small restaurant that focuses on local, seasonal ingredients has become very popular since it opened a few months ago, for good reason. The wood-fired stove cranks out delicious pizzas as wells as meats and veggies, the compact menu is eclectic and the overall energy vibrant. We enjoyed a white pizza with guanciale, figs and arugula that was outstanding with a thin, crispy crust, just the right amount of hot, oozing cheese, the sweet figs, arugula and salt balancing each other perfectly--a hit. Roasted lamb meatballs on cous cous was also a hit with spicy, complex Morrocan flavors. The brick chicken was good, but the lentils were a bit undercooked and the carmelized sunchoke soup topped with fried sage was smooth and creamy but a little bland. Service started off attentive but dropped off a bit with 3 of us being served at once, with a significant delay for the main course soup, which seemed odd--wasn't that just ladled out of a pot? It was busy so they can be forgiven, and the ambiance was friendly and not stuffy. Overall we really enjoyed the whole experience.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The food was really really good. Everything we had was great, the pizza, the iron steak, the corn!
Casual dining in a very cousy setting, you almost feel at home. You can dine at the kitchen bar looking straight at how your meal is beeing prepared with all organic and fresh components.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

There are relatively few options for eating out in Glen Ellen, but there appears to be a high standard set in general. The Star has only been going since May, the lovechild of Ari Weismasser, who's CV is impressive and includes the French Laundry, and Errin Benziger, of local legendary family winery lineage. I cannot compare the Star to other local options, as once we had eaten here at the 'chef's table' (the bar around the cooking area) we went nowhere else. The staff are spot on, the ambience warm and welcoming, but of course the main attraction is the food, cooked to perfection in fornt of your eyes. Other reviewers make reference to the excellent wood-fired vegetables, the sea bass was to die for, the wine list impressive as you would expect - yet of 75 wines, only 3 are from the Benziger winery. The Star is quite small, doesn't take bookings and is always deservedly busy. If you take your own wine, they charge a corkage fee of 15 Euros, other restaurants nearby charge no corkage. As I started, there are great options in Glen Ellen, but the Star is right up there.