“This place always just feels like home”
Review of Beltane Ranch

Beltane Ranch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We have stayed at Beltane Ranch a number of times and continue to find it the ideal place to unwind. There are many fine wineries nearby (including the Beltane's own superlative sauvignon blanc), rural walks out the back door, Jack London State Park five minutes away, restaurants of all types and the Glen Ellen market for top rate picnic ingredients. Most of all, it is the ambience of the house and ranch and the hospitality of everyone who works and/or lives at the ranch, simply a genuine interest in every guest having a great experience at the ranch and in the region.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 10, 2011

The grounds are beautiful. Our room was clean and cozy-- not perfect, not top notch, but has a homey feel and overall a nice atmosphere and good deal. The other people we bumped into staying there were friendly and we had some pleasant conversation. Breakfast was very good. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The gardens are beautiful, but the owner made me and my family feel terribly unwelcome and uncomfortable. I have never been treated so rudely by someone in the "hospitality" business ever in my life, and I travel a lot. The owners were more interested in looking for a way to make money than in pleasing their guests and generating future referrals. Sad.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank quickescapes_11
Reviewed June 5, 2011

My mother is 71 years old and has been a widow for the last twelve. Rather than spend her remaining years lamenting her loss, she dusted herself off and vowed to approach the next stage of her life with energy, enthusiasm and an open mind. About 4 years ago she met a wonderful man who had suffered a similar fate. They fell in love, they traveled and they planned for the future.

A year ago they decided to host a wedding. As is customary for them, the event was more about introducing the two sets of children than about shining the spotlight on themselves. They rented t all of the rooms at a small bed and breakfast in Sonoma County called the Beltane Ranch. Plans were made for three days of hiking, wine tasting and festive dinners. On Saturday, the group was to gather in the garden for 20 minutes, offer a few blessings, pronounce them man and wife and retire to a local restaurant for dinner.

About three hours before the wedding, my mom knocked on the door of my room and was visibly shaken. The proprietress of the Beltane Ranch had slipped an ‘Event Contract’ under her door outlining various requirements in order for the wedding to proceed including a demand for $1200. I vowed to take care of the problem and that everything would be OK for her wedding day.

I assumed that this must be a simple misunderstanding and went down to visit the proprietress. I explained that everyone at the wedding was already a paying guest of her establishment, there would be no additional cars, no moving of furniture, no caterers, no lighting, no dancing and no drunken college kids trampling her flower beds. My brother would be officiating.

My mother and her fiancé come from frugal northeastern stock, but would never imagine not paying for services that were rendered. On the other hand, if they can do something themselves they would be reluctant to pay money to have others do it for them. I explained that if the Beltane Ranch was in any way inconvenienced or had to incur any expense, she would be fully compensated.

Unfortunately, this did not settle the problem. Rather than seeing a romantic story, the proprietress was incensed that she was missing an incremental revenue opportunity. She could not contain her anger at what she called a ‘bootleg wedding’ and demanded that we pay her fee or move the wedding at the last minute.

At this point, we no longer felt welcome and I found a lovely park about a mile down the road. The park ranger was sympathetic and agreed to bend the rules to allow us to hold our brief ceremony under a tree in the field. By this point, we were actually laughing about ‘Love on the Run’ at a ‘bootleg wedding.’

While we scrambled and managed to solve the problem, I am left wondering whether the proprietress has chosen the right line of work. Running a bed and breakfast requires a certain disposition that few of us possess. Even before our incident, it was clear that guest relations was more of a chore than a joy for her. Some research revealed that the property had been in her family for 80 years. I assume that she feels the need to open a bed and breakfast in order to pay the bills, but her heart is clearly not in this endeavor.

The grounds and the yard are immaculately maintained with beautiful flowers. The rooms on the other hand seem to aim for rustic but end up more in the category of ratty. The grungy plastic shower stalls and mildew-covered bathroom ceilings are far from attractive. There are plenty of charming places in Sonoma County and far more hospitable owners. I recommend that people take their business elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank Brad564
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Our first night at Beltane was cancelled due to power outages. The staff found us a very suitable place to stay in Sonoma but we were so pleased to be able to go there for our second night when power returned. The rooms are homey, very clean and comfortable. The next day it poured rain and Alexa lit a fire in the living room and we read all morning. The views and grounds are outstanding and breakfast delicious and varied. We had smoked trout/vegetable pancakes one morning and it was yummy.

Rather than head into San Fran for our planned next night in the midst of the financial district, we stayed an extra night and didn't want to leave. It is a little expensive, but worth every penny. We will definitely make it our home on our next and hopefully longer trip to Sonoma. Thanks Ann and Alexa!

Bob and Louise Winnipeg Canada

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louchaboola
Reviewed December 1, 2010

We stayed in the cottage in June 2010. The grounds were beautiful and our daughter loved the cows and horses. The fresh baked cookies were a nice touch! The cottage was nice and quite clean. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of attention to detail at the ranch given the rates. The bathroom in the cottage could use a new floor and shower as they are funky and not in charming way. Some nice Aveda toiletries and complementary bottle of wine would have added the bit of luxury I was looking for. If you are planning to visit, I would recommend staying in one of the cheaper rooms where you could enjoy the ranch but at a more reasonable price. If you are looking for a great meal head to Saffron in Glen Ellen.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Its hard to sum up Beltane in just a few words. I stayed there for my 40th birthday with my entire family and we all agreed that it was an almost magical place. The rooms, grounds, staff, food, and experience were all amazing. I stay at quite a few B and B's and this one tops them all. Hats off to the staff at Beltane for making all of their guests feel at home and like family while staying with them.

• Stayed: October 2010
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Inn at Sonoma, A Four Sisters Inn
Gaige House + Ryokan, a Four Sisters Inn

Been to Beltane Ranch? Share your experiences!