“Don't skip this excellent restaurant!”

la Hacienda Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 126 Restaurants in Gilroy
Cuisines: Mexican
“Don't skip this excellent restaurant!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Our dinner at La Hacienda was a wonderful surprise. Plain on the outside, the inside is nicely decorated with tile and artifacts. The food was the best Mexican food I have ever had. It was fresh, beautifully presented and truly delicious.

Gilroy, California
“Great place for non-chain food”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We're not find of many of the chain restaurants in Gilroy so finding La Hacienda was great for us. They always have friendly staff, decent prices, and we enjoy their food.

Visited December 2012
North Fork, California
“Loved most everything but there is something about the cheese”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My mom and I went in to have dinner. She and my stepdad used to go there all the time, and even had a special table they always sat at. The food was tasty and the service was good, but both of us almost choked trying to eat the melted but very rubbery cheese that was in our rellenos and over our beans. We chewed and chewed and chewed, after trying to bring the fork up to our mouths without the cheese strand getting longer and longer. No matter how much we pulled, the strands just stayed together and got longer! I actually had to pinch each strand of cheese off with my fingernails, or try to cut it with a knife. When we swallowed, we almost choked right there in the restaurant! My mom asked the waiter about the cheese and said she had eaten there many, many times in the past, and wondered about the change in type of cheese used.

He insisted that there had been no changes made and that the cheese was the same type they'd always used. Well, something was different ... maybe it was too hot or not hot enough? Whatever the reason, I hope other diners do not have the same difficulty eating their meals that we did.

Service and ambiance was very good, the place was very clean and the workers were attentive and friendly. It's just that darn cheese!

Visited September 2012
San Francisco, California
“Good food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The food and the service are neither good nor bad. It's your average Mexican place with average everything else. For a heavily Latino community like Gilroy, you'd expect better. As it is, you would find the same kind of food at Chevy's. If you don't want to sit down, I'd suggest getting tacos at Mi Pueblo across the street. Really good, but it's just a supermarket so the ambience is nonexistent.

Visited August 2012