“Great breakfast find in Gilroy”
Review of Garlic City Cafe

Garlic City Cafe
Ranked #3 of 127 Restaurants in Gilroy
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Wonderful breakfast. Garden omelet was the best I hace had in a long time. Husband's ham steak amf eggs good amd generous. Be sure to stop here.

1  Thank Dawn H

Reviewed May 18, 2012

We just happened upon this restaurant for lunch and were pleasantly surprised. The service was quick and friendly (even if delivery of the food was a bit prolonged) and the meal was very tasty. The water and iced tea glasses were always full. You could tell the chef took a little extra time with each of our meals because each of us had nothing but praises for the preparation. I had a chicken with portabella mushrooms sandwich and my friend had a pastrami sandwich. I'll definitely go back.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Small mom and pop place on Gilroy’s main drag. We arrived during a particularly bad lunch rush, and so my review is a bit biased because we waited a long time (over 40 minutes) for our food and still the waitress forgot part of the order.
They did set us up on the sidewalk, which was nice. The inside was full and they helped us to sit sooner. Our orders were taken quickly.

Food:
The cafe's Cream of Garlic Soup is to die for. Creamy, buttery garlicky goodness (think garlic that is properly carmelized to that lovely nutty flavor)

The seared salmon Caesar salad – the salmon was fine. The homemade caesar was good but not great.

Cobb salad. Good apple wood smoked bacon (yeah!), egg, cheese, turkey was of the sandwich luncheon variety (meh) and then the lettuce. One of my pet peeves is when a restaurant uses bags of prewashed greens. That is fine, but for pete’s sake make sure what you use is fresh! If I see gummy wilted lettuce, that kind of puts me off. Do you really think the customer doesn’t notice? Yuck! Check your dishes before they leave the kitchen.

The waitress forgot the order of garlic fries. We re-ordered and waited and waited. We took them to go. They were big fat home-cut fries with lots of garlic. Good. We had time to wait but I can’t say it was worth it for such a long wait. The waitress was apologetic, and she did what she could. It happens, I get it. Kitchen and staff backed up. Just make sure that when food comes out, it is done right. Lose the wilted gummy lettuce please.

They do make their own baked goods, which included fresh cookies and I can attest they are delicious.
So, mixed. I would give them another chance. This was not their best.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Went to Garlic City Cafe with my son, his wife and my two grandkids (ages 9 and 12) for my birthday celebration - had a great experience! My son had Penne with Prawns Florentine and my daughter-in-law had Cannellone with Tomato Cream Sauce - my dinner was Chicken Marsala - we loved our meals. Our waitress was charming and so helpful with the kid choices - which they also thoroughly enjoyed. The bread was warm and the meals were served hot/fresh from the oven - topped by a wonderful carrot cake - a truly wonderful experience - highly recommend!

Reviewed March 9, 2012

My husband and I went here on a Thursday evening, without knowing anything about Gilroy, and were advised to go to Milias. We saw the menu there, and thought it was a bit too expensive for us, so we thought we'd try a different place. We caught the sign for the Garlic City Cafe driving by, it was on the same street. There was no one in the restaraunt when we arrived, so we were a bith skeptical. But the decor was nice, so we decided to stay. I had Fettucine Puttanesca, and my husband had Garlic Shrimp Florentine. we also had a whole roasted garlic appetizer, a spinach salad, the dinners also came with soup or salad. The shrimp were perfect, the sauce was rich with a very good seafood taste, I was very impressed. My own was very good, also, I've never had puttanesca before, but I love capers and kalamata olives, and anchovies, so I thought I would try it. My preference is the shrimp, though (my favorite food anyways)