Hope-Merrill House Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Geyserville B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 26, 2010

This was our last stop after a 2-week road trip, and we certainly saved the best for last. Our hosts were friendly and accommodating. The rooms were so comfortable--the houses were old enough to feel like staying at grandma's house, but way better mattresses, linens, service and silk-screened wallpaper (run your fingertips over the surface, ooh la la). No problems with sinks or toilets, in case you were wondering. The 2 inns are across the street from one another, and every afternoon there's a wine tasting. Here we were, in the backyard among the flowers and the garden, so very relaxing, interesting conversations with fellow travelers. We got to take the rest of the open bottle back to the room with us. Afterwards, the pizza at Diavolo (all we had clothes for) was really really good and the mussels, well, they went so fast we had to have a second round. Each house has breakfast promptly at 9. You don't sit down at the table until then, and what a loaded table it was. I haven't had a breakfast like that since I don't know when. Homemade jams and tortes with fruits from the garden and breads and what about that sausage and...It was an inspiration. I was holding a family reunion for 30 at my house a week after coming home and I had all the meals covered except the breakfasts. Now that's how you do it if you want your guests to be happy. PS. A famous basketball player had stayed in the room my teenage boys stayed in. I bet he liked the low-key personal attention too.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed October 27, 2009

We had 4 weeks to find a new location for our wedding, reception/dinner, and lodging for 10 couples after our original location lost its license. We were so fortunate to find a real gem in the Hope-Merrill House B&B. It far exceeded our expectations, and anything that our original location could have done.

The innkeepers, Ron and Cosette, are every charming and helpful. They worked with our caterers to get the best use of the property. And the property is so beautiful, perfect for a casual yet elegant wine country wedding. We were married under an ancient walnut tree at the back, had an out door cocktail reception by the pool, and dinner for 30 among the vines, by the gazebo. The property accommodated all of this without any sense of crowding at all.

The rooms are more beautiful than the web site shows, and the houses (there are two, across the street from each other) are elegant and beautifully furnished. Breakfast is for all guests together, and sumptuous. Almost everything served is home made, and uses ingredients from their gardens.

The Hope-Merrill House is a wonderful B&B, in a great location for wine lovers. And the innkeepers Ron and Cosette make it a personal and warm place to enjoy a few very special days. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Nice place, the William Morris theme is a bit overwhelming, but amazing at the same time.

Don't think all rooms have TV so if that's important get the right room. Swimming pool out back looked nice (but I didn't bring my trunks).

Breakfast was very nice - single sitting and you got what you were given. This happened a coupde of times this trip and it almost makes you feel you have to eat - whether you want to or not!

Geyserville itself is not a place to head for but there was a very nice Italian restuarant and nearby bigger towns (6 miles) offer plenty of options

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2009

This was our third time staying with Cosette and Ron spanning a seven year period. Each time has been WONDERFUL! This time we splurged and booked the Sterling Suite - what a romantic place to celebrate a birthday (mine) plus my retirement. The suite was spacious, spotless, and well decorated with a comfortable relaxing feel. My wife loves to swim in their heated pool. Cosette's breakfasts are THE best of any B and B anywhere - gourmet to the max. We went wine tasting at our 3 favorite wineries: Silver Oak, Ridge, and Preston which are a short distance. Dinner at Santi's down the street was fabulous. Can't say enough good things about the entire weekend and the hospitality of the Hope Merrill House!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I have to note several things that I loved or liked about the Hope-Merrill house (I didn't even walk into the Hope-Bosworth house and it could be a completely different experience...):

-An amazing breakfast with such delicious options like a cherry tart, chili eggs, homemade scones, local honey-butter, on and on...
-Great location- I had never been to Geyserville before and I LOVE it now! And the b and b is within walking distance to several chic, tasty wine country restaurants.
-We had a last minute special that basically got us half-price on our room (the Sterling Suite), which we really appreciated.

That being said, I would never stay there again (unless I learned that the Hope-Bosworth is different in several respects). The Sterling Suite normally costs $280. I know that there are many expensive hotel rooms in Napa/Sonoma, but this is quite expensive for a bed and breakfast in the area that its in, and there is no jacuzzi (or even a bath!), no wine hour at night, no stereo system/dvd/videos, etc, there was a general lack of privacy, and honestly, I didn't want to walk barefoot or sit on the chairs. It just felt dingy and dirty. I don't like writing reviews like this, especially about a bed and breakfast because it just feels like a personal insult, but honestly, this bed and breakfast needs to pick it up a few notches if they want to charge anything over $100 for these rooms. Well, given the exceptional breakfast, I guess I'll make that anything above $125. I'm sure some people have loved it, but we have been to so many other, better options in wine country that cost less or are at least similarly priced.
Questions? Feel free to message me- love to help with your trip!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BrookMeakins
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Dear Cosette and Ron,

We hope this will convey to you how much we enjoyed being included in your wine maker's dinner. What a great evening!

The scene is warm and welcoming.
Embracing you as a warm sea does
—with a sigh—effervescent and comforting.
The wine flows,
and with a spark from our hosts,
the fire of conversation is illuminated,
bathing the gathering in a glow of fascination.
The laden table entices
in the way a candle-lit cottage beckons
as it appears around a bend
on a snowy, moonlit path…
And the spirit of fellowship wraps us
in a cloak of friendship and joy
that is simply
the best that life has to offer.
…with heartfelt thanks for including us,

Jack & Ann

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wine_country_artist
Reviewed May 2, 2008

The room we stayed in was dark & depressing and not well maintained. The fireplace didn't work, the wind blew through the old windows ( making for a cold night ), the soaking tub was well worn and the clothes hangers are permanently fixed in the closet (something a cheap hotel would do). The breakfast was good but it didn't make up for the dingy room.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Mercedes46
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geyserville
Geyserville Inn
Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort
Calderwood Inn
Calderwood Inn
#6 of 16 in Healdsburg

Been to Hope-Merrill House Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!