“House of Ports!”
Review of Trentadue Winery

Trentadue Winery
Ranked #6 of 29 things to do in Geyserville
More attraction details
Owner description: Winery in Sonoma County.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Trentadue Winery is a great experience from start to finish. This house of ports was impressive from the moment we pulled in the parking lot, which is much larger than most other wineries. As you walk towards the tasting room one can’t help but be drawn to the beautiful grounds. There is a large picnic area which can be rented for parties or weddings and would serve as a wonderful backdrop for either.

We went to Trentadue because we had heard so much about their port selection, but there is something else that strikes you as you enter the door to the tasting room; Trentadue’s etched wine bottles. As a college sports fan I was thrilled to see these cool bottles with my favorite schools logos on them. They have all the major schools and will custom make anything they don’t have. These make great gifts for college grads or can provide a one of a kind conversation piece at your tailgate party. Now on to the wine.

As stated before, we went to Trentadue because we had heard so much about the ports but they have a lot of other very good varietals as well. For me the Old Patch Red blend and the Merlot were my favorites. All of the ports were good but the Zinfandel Port and Chocolate Amore stood out in the crowd. Our pourer, Shane, was quite knowledgeable and took the time to answer all of our questions regarding the winery.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Trentadue Winery is probably less known than some of the other big name wineries in Sonoma, but don't pass it up. The driveway to the buildings is lined with vineyards neatly pruned, and the actual grounds surrounding the tasting rooms are impeccably maintained. The tasting room is small, but I have never experienced it being crowded. Although I have purchased wine from Trentadue, they really hit a home run with their port. If you have never tried a fine port wine, you need to try it here. They have an excellent petite sirah port, a chocolate port, and my favorite - the Viogner (pronounced vee-own-yea). I eagerly signed up for the port club, in which they send shipments of a variety of ports to your door a few times per year. That was when I lived in California. Now that I have moved to Arizona, they won't ship to me. They tell me that each state requires a permit to ship wine into the state, but that Arizona is one of nine states that the permit cost is higher than normal. Woe is me - no more port shipped to my door, and I can't find the stuff in stores. So each time I visit Sonoma, I grab some from the Trentadue winery. If you are lucky enough to be able to receive them in your state, I would encourage you to try it. You can always cancel if you feel like it. Anyway, this winery is one of my top five favorites and is worth a visit. I can't wait to return.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Very welcoming entrance with extremely friendly and well informed staff. Generous tastings and free for buyers.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Visited Trentadue one fine Sunday morning. Very lovely grounds, with a stately drive and a nice tasting room. The wines were a mixed bag. A couple were quite good; others not so much.

The $5 tasting flight lets you pick your 4 wines to taste, which beats Coppola across the highway, where the flights are pre-selected. We found a couple worth buying (prices aren't bad), and am sipping one as I write.

The sparkling wine is a Charmat-process wine that is fermented in bulk, rather than in bottle, made from French Colombard and Chenin Blanc, rather than pinot noir, chardonnay and/or pinot meunier. But it was surprisingly good, and at $13, not outrageously priced. The most disconcerting part was that they lable it as "Champagne," which is, in my view, deceptive. If I made wine in my bathtub in Virginia and called it "Napa Valley" red or "Anderson Valley" white, the locals here would be up in arms and sue me for mislabeling. But somehow, calling an Anderson Valley sparkling wine "Champagne" is OK. No, it's not. Champagne is a very small area encompassing Epernay and Reims northeast of Paris, not an area off the 101 in Northern California.

But I digress. The Cuvee 32 (2009) was actually quite good, too. The port wines need more work, as we found some flaws in the two we tried (the viognier port and the zinfandel port). The viognier (just plain old viognier, not the late harvest 13% residual sugar one they made into port) had a nice nose, but didn't follow through on the palate.

For a young winery, they have made a good start. They have a couple of decent wines, along with some we weren't as happy with, and with some attention to detail going forward, they could be interesting.

2  Thank luv2travl003
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Deciding to tour some wineries in the Geyserville area, we stopped by this one because our friends had returned home with custom made wine bottles featuring their college mascots. While we admired many of those bottles once we got there, we stayed for a tasting...and continued staying for a glass of wine afterwards. The tasting room is small but tasteful, and the ports are excellent. Make sure to try the Viogner port...delicious!

1  Thank jcath07