“Amazing history”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Georgetown
Lincoln, California
“Amazing history”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed there back in 1980 or so, don't know the exact year but it was really wonderful to stay there. We were doing a photography assignment for college that required us to take photos at night without using a flash. I set my camera up on a tripod and took a picture of the front of the inn. It wasn't until we developed the film that we noticed a picture of a woman, standing by the window in one of the photos. She was dressed like they used to dress back in the olden days. I surmised that it had to have been a ghost but my wife didn't agree. Several years later we took the photo to the inn and asked if the people that worked there ever dressed like that. She, the woman in charge, said no. She said the they have a ghost that's been there at the inn for several years and that the woman was probably his girl friend. There is a lot more to this story but I am just going on and on.
Just wanted to say that it was the best time that we had ever spent in a B&B. They are friendly ghosts and so are the owners.
Frank A.

Room Tip: Take your camera.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Frank A

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Escalon, California
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Came to Georgetown for a planned day of wine tasting in the surrounding area. The American River Inn is probably the most attractive building in this sleepy old mining town of about 1100 pop.
Looking at all of the antiques which include all of the furnishings, you are taken back in time to the period which this Inn represents. The staff here are more than willing to make you stay at the Inn as pleasant as it could be. Any visitor, I think, would not be dissapointed in their stay. Definitely not a five star by today's standards as compared to San Francisco, L.A., or NYC., but definitely a five star for this mining town and the period it represents.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AL O
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We found out about the American River in through a Living Social deal. Since it was within a close distance and got good reviews, we decided to go for it. We were the only guests on Friday night and Will and Maria greeted is with a glass of wine. They are certainly talkers, who reminded us a bit of parents on a 90's sitcom. Our room was cozy and the bed very comfortable. We were lucky to have an en suite and the claw foot tub/ shower was a nice touch. Another reviewer mentioned not having soap, towels, etc. That was not the case for us, nor in the other bathrooms I saw. Breakfast was good, nothing out of this world, but a nice warm start to our days. They restored the inn and put in all of the plumbing and electric, it is clear that they care about their property in the well maintained grounds and immaculate rooms. It has a Victorian country feel that very much fits the building and town. Georgetown itself doesn't have that much going for it, but it was reasonable drive to the Apple Hill area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MegReno
Roseville, California
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This house is filled with lots of things to look at. The antiques are beautiful and there are tons of knick knacks everywhere. It was fun just walking around and exploring the house. The doors of rooms not being used are left open in order for patrons to check out the rooms. I really enjoyed looking at all the beautiful furniture. This was originally a boarding house, so many of the pieces in there are original. The afternoon appetizers and wine was quite filling and delicious. Both nights we stayed there, we didn't go out to dinner feeling quite full from all the appetizers we had. Breakfast was also very good. Across the street is the Georgetown Saloon and the barkeeper makes awesome drinks. We plan on going back there again when we want a quick getaway. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants to enjoy some quiet time with a loved one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tina C
Newark, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for two nights for the labor day weekend. The rooms are gorgeous and the service was unbelievable. Ms Betty was very understanding and helpful as we had two little boys with us. Our room opened into a porch and our boys loved going in and out of the room. The location of the inn is good, closer to a lot of places nearby. Breakfast was great. We even enjoyed the backyard as well as the hot tub. We truly felt that we weren't in a hotel but a guest in a friend's home. I would definitely recommend this B & B.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Harinder K
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We bought a living social voucher for this inn and were planning on making a trip sometime in December. But unfortunately, I was feeling under the weather on the day we were supposed to go to the inn and my husband called them and asked if we could postpone the reservation for some other time. The lady on the other end said that this was perfectly ok and was nice about it.

Today, I called the inn to make a reservation. The man on the other end yelled at me for cancelling the last time and grudgingly gave me available dates for room #5 that I was interested in. When I asked if room #2 was available for a certain date, he said "don't push it" and was absolutely rude. I told him that we did not mean to inconvenience him, which is why we asked the lady if it's possible to postpone - if it wasn't, we would have gone there anyway. The man wanted proof if I was actually sick the last time! He asked me if I had seen a doctor and how I could make a reservation when I was sick (as if I can predict when I will fall sick). He also tried to give me just one night stay at the inn with the voucher instead of two that I was supposed to get!!

Anyway, stay away from this place. If the owner can be so rude and mean on the phone, imaging how awful he will be when you're actually staying at the inn and what kind of customer service you can expect. I am glad living social refunded me my money because I wouldn't have gone anyway.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sankal
Dahab
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful house, lovely furnishings, warm hospitality.Georgetown is pretty skanky, but in a lovely location. Top tip - ask for the rooms away from the busy road. Top tip 2- eat at the buckeye. Top tip 3 - go to the lake at stumpy meadows, but avoid locals carrying handguns?

Lovely hot tub in the garden. Dodgy karaoke across the road!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rowbagsdahab
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Historic Cary House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cameron Park
Mother Lode Motel
Mother Lode Motel
#4 of 5 in Placerville

Been to The Historic American River Inn? Share your experiences!