“Stay away from this place!”

The Historic American River Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Georgetown
Sunnyvale, California
“Stay away from this place!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We bought a living social voucher for this inn and were planning on making a trip sometime in December. But unfortunately, I was feeling under the weather on the day we were supposed to go to the inn and my husband called them and asked if we could postpone the reservation for some other time. The lady on the other end said that this was perfectly ok and was nice about it.

Today, I called the inn to make a reservation. The man on the other end yelled at me for cancelling the last time and grudgingly gave me available dates for room #5 that I was interested in. When I asked if room #2 was available for a certain date, he said "don't push it" and was absolutely rude. I told him that we did not mean to inconvenience him, which is why we asked the lady if it's possible to postpone - if it wasn't, we would have gone there anyway. The man wanted proof if I was actually sick the last time! He asked me if I had seen a doctor and how I could make a reservation when I was sick (as if I can predict when I will fall sick). He also tried to give me just one night stay at the inn with the voucher instead of two that I was supposed to get!!

Anyway, stay away from this place. If the owner can be so rude and mean on the phone, imaging how awful he will be when you're actually staying at the inn and what kind of customer service you can expect. I am glad living social refunded me my money because I wouldn't have gone anyway.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sankal

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dahab
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful house, lovely furnishings, warm hospitality.Georgetown is pretty skanky, but in a lovely location. Top tip - ask for the rooms away from the busy road. Top tip 2- eat at the buckeye. Top tip 3 - go to the lake at stumpy meadows, but avoid locals carrying handguns?

Lovely hot tub in the garden. Dodgy karaoke across the road!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rowbagsdahab
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Well maintained and nicely appointed. We stayed here and really enjoyed it. Our room was comfortable on opened on to the 2nd floor porch, which the dogs loved, they could sit with us and watch the whole town go by. The whole hotel has lots of nice touches, lots of antiques and it is fun to look around, There is a really nice yard, with a number of seating areas and a couple of hammocks. The breakfast was very fresh and good (cinnamon apple pancakes) and the wine and appetizers in the evening were good and a fun way to meet other guests.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mabh1504
Coloma, California
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My wife and I have stayed many times at the AMI and loved it each and every time.
We have experienced B and B's in many locations throughout the U.S. and Europe and this place is definetly on the must do list.

The Inn is furnished throughout with antiques and the experience of staying in an old Inn and coming down to a great breakfast in the morning is one you will relish.

We are now Georgetown residents after moving from SoCal a few years ago. We always looked forward to our Inn visits as well as wandering the few streets of the town.

Georgetown is a friendly place to ALL visitors and the staff of the American River Inn is not an exception.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nsgw
Windsor, California
Reviewed March 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here over President's Weekend and we could not have been treated better. Will and his wife, the owners, really go out of their way to be wonderful hosts. The charming victorian is very clean, breakfasts and service were great and so was the vino in the evening. If anyone has a problem here they can only blame themselves. I felt very comfortable the whole time we were there and felt good about the private parking area they provide.
We look forward to our next year's visit.
Bob and Cindy Clopton

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank BobandCyn
Sacramento
Reviewed February 8, 2012

What a wonderful place to stay!! I was taken on to this trip up to the foothills for my birthday weekend. We were treated like royalty, breakfast was fantastic the two mornings we were there, and the innkeeper felt like family. Rooms were lavishly period-furnished and service was fantastic. We loved the 'happy hour' as well as the whole atmosphere of Georgetown. We WILL return!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RiverRanchTravels
San Jose, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in the American River Inn in Georgetown, Ca for 1 night with 5 friends on the way to Gold Country. The Hotel is so lovely, there are only 12 rooms all decorated in Victorian style. Some rooms have bathrooms, some don't but this is typical for and old fashioned house (there are 2 common bathrooms in the hallway). Each room has it's own "face", very lovely and cosy. In the evening the owners Mary and Will provide complimentary sandwiches and wine, you can also relax in the backyard with jacuzzi, hamacks and lounge chairs. The breakfast is served in the traditional English style, on beautiful China, delicious and plenty. I felt home in this beautifull hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Undecided7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Historic Cary House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cameron Park
Mother Lode Motel
Mother Lode Motel
#4 of 5 in Placerville

Been to The Historic American River Inn? Share your experiences!