“Authentic As It Gets”

Cuisines: Mexican
Gardena, California, Usa
“Authentic As It Gets”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Just a note: The kitchen burnt down. Ironic right considering it's named Burnt Tortilla. The TO GO restaurant is open but the main restaurant will have to be fixed before it opens up again.

Came here with some co-workers for lunch and after much bragging that this place is better than El Pescador. It's actually pretty good. They have great menu choices and all at decent prices. I wasn't really that hungry so I ordered medium size albondiga soup. I always use my moms soup as a standard for evaluating albondiga soup at restuarants. Burnt Tortilla did a pretty good dang job measuring up to my moms soup. My coworker ordered the enchilada and taco combo. She let me try some of her enchilada. I'm really not a red enchilada sauce person but these babies were really really good! I was second guessing what I ordered, haha. The service was fast and helpful and very attentive. I would love to come back for happy hour as they have great specials.

• Visited April 2014

lewpe
“One of our favorite go-too's”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Good local place for margaritas and decent Mexican food. We have been going to this restaurant at their various locations for over 20 years.

• Visited January 2014
Manhattan Beach, California
“Iv'e Found It!”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

A a third generation native Californian, I've had over fifty years of eating Mexican food around L.A. and So Cal. Everything from Senior Alberto's in Oceanside (try the Cali burrito with roast beef and french fries - killer!) to the Border Grill in Santa Monica (overpriced El Torito like) to the Garden's of Taxco on Santa Monica Boulevard (real Mole, tortilla's and tequila) as well as the good ol' 'El Cholo' on Western and recently on Wilshire (quality still there even if portions are smaller; same great Margarita's) and a lot of places the old brain can't recall! I don't eat 'chain' Mexican or do Chapotle, so I can't comment on them. But, if you're looking for killer, original Mexican food head to Burnt Tortilla and fast. The parking lot will be full but don't be dissuaded. Slide into a seat and order a Margarita, preferably at Happy Hour. That night they were very good. The salsa is excellent and we got a bowl of warm enchilada sauce when requested. We ordered a burrito, a chile rellano combination plate, some taco's, an order of nachos (that was sent back to heat but came back with more cheese!) and had enough for leftovers which were incorporated into next day's breakfast. The food that passed us by, was all tempting and looked well made. The chicken in our tacos was moist and plentiful and the rellano was top drawer. You can't go wrong with anything on a vast menu and if you want to make your own margarita's at home, the Burnt Tortilla has a separate building just for take out orders. Perfect!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Gregory M
Newport Beach, California
“Best Mexican Food in So. California!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I ask my customer to pick the restaurant. . . you never know what you will get!

This was the BEST Mexican Food I have had. . Combo plate with bean and rice.
Shredded beef crisp taco was perfection and the chicken enchilada was cut chicken that was first rate. . no so . .so chicken here. The refried beans couldn't have been any better and spanish was flavored with just the right amount of tomato. . . The seasoning was just right. . just a little hot. I will drive across So. CA again to eat there.
(the customer said had been in a smaller place before, but this was new.) With attention given to us from the hostess to the busy boy(who said hi) to the great waiter, it is now a lunch I will forget! ! ! ! !

What food! ! ! !

• Visited October 2013
Perth, Australia
“Didn't know whether to eat or jump over the burrito”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Quality food in huge portions. Terrific and reasonably priced food and drink. Incredibly friendly and a real good experience.

• Visited August 2013