“Light lunch in L.A.”

Cuisines: Japanese
melbourne
“Light lunch in L.A.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Had lunch here with family and you know it is a good Japanese restaurant when there are lots of Japanese customers. The entrance had pictures of various celebrities who have eaten here. The menu is varied, with hot and cold versions of their famous home made noodles, all reasonably priced. They had a very refreshing iced Barley tea. The Soba noodles were very good, along with a small serving of tempura, lightly battered. The meals were not heavy but hit the spot. If I have an opportunity, I would like to return and try the other dishes.

• Visited March 2013

Monterey Park, California
“Homemade Noodles”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

What I like about this place is the homemade noodle dishes. The broth is perfectly seasoned, and there are so many noodle variations you can choose from. What is rare is that they serve the cold Japanese barley tea which is really uncommon in restaurants. All restaurants that I know serve cold water. I had the tempura udon, and they bring the tempura on the side so that you can dip into your broth. You can also order the dishes with soba which is the buckwheat noodles. Most of the clientele is from Japan so it is top notch. There menu has expanded so there is much to choose from, but I highly recommend any of their noodle dishes. Noodle dishes range from 12 to 15 dollars.

• Visited December 2012
Los Angeles, California
“So far my favorite Udon place in LA”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

When I crave for Japanese food, sushi is not my first thought. I think of other dishes such as Udon or Soba noodles. Sanuki no sato was very simple in a wonderful sense. I was very pleased with the taste and the several people I interacted with from the moment I entered to the moment I left. It has a very welcoming vibe. The pleasing taste of its dishes has made it my top choice for Udon. I have yet to explore most of its menu but I really do not mind at all having exactly the same food I ordered on my first visit. Since then I have realized that several of my friends also love this place very much. They should have told me about it too!

• Visited December 2011
Los Angeles
“Authentic Japanese noodle house”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

The restaurant is located in a strip mall on the corner of 182nd and Western Ave. We arrived just before they opened and I wondered about the place because the parking lot was empty. Two other groups arrived immediately after us and started assembling by the front door.

There was a slight hesitation in getting us seated, but once we were seated and looking at the menus, the restaurant was already half full. 90% Japanese clientele - a good thing because I knew the food would be good.

We were seated in the middle of the restaurant on bench seats. My friend had trouble sitting upright in the seat as it was apparently sloped downward having him to shift himself upright every few minutes.

The ice tea was served immediately. It's Japanese-style ice tea (weak in flavor) and not sweetened. The food came soon after.

I had the komo udon which was udon topped with duck and Tokyo green onions. If you don't care for green onions, this is not the dish to order. I enjoyed it immensely as the udon as very fresh and the soup base had very good flavor. The duck was tender and not fatty.

Other dishes we had included the tempura udon and the chicken katsu. The latter was served with chawanmushi (Japanese steamed egg custard) and a small bowl of udon. The katsu was surprisingly good. The exterior batter was light and had a nice texture to it. It was also served with a side salad with honey mustard dressing.

This is not a place to impress a date unless s/he is interested in going to a Japanese noodle house. It's about eating great Japanese noodle dishes. While we had udon because it was a bit chilly, you can also order soba (cold Japanese buckwheat) noodles.

If you have a visitor from Japan, s/he would feel comfortable here.

• Visited December 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good selection of menu. My favorite is the Bukkake Udon, yumm...”
Reviewed August 10, 2009

good selection of menu. My favorite is the Bukkake Udon, yumm...

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook