“Horrible customer service and housekeeping!”

Hampton Inn and Suites Los Angeles - Anaheim - Garden Grove
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed August 17, 2006

We were a big group and rented 3 rooms for 3 nights. The first night we arrived to a hot and stuffy lobby because the air conditioning went out. This was during the heat wave when the average temperature was over 100°F. Good thing it was limited to the lobby and it was fixed by morning.

The young man and young woman working the front desk were pleasant but extremely inept. Took them forever to give us the rooms facing north so we could the fireworks from Disneyland (We couldn't see anything anyway). They only could find 2 rooms facing north which was okay by us. It was only after we got to the rooms, some of us unpacked and took shower, that we realized they got the direction reversed. After much complaints they finally upgraded one of our rooms to a suite so we could all face north. We all ended up on the same floor with adjoining rooms (one is the suite) which we discovered to our surprise and delight. Apparently they didn't even realized that they gave us adjoining rooms. It was nice to have a suite where we all gathered. The rooms are of decent size and clean. My toilet didn't work very well though. I had to lift the top off and touched the lever inside the container to get the water to fill up again every single time.

That night I tried the free wireless internet. I had to call to get the security code and the young woman told me that I could only access the internet in the lobby. She told me to bring my laptop down. Well, apparently she had no idea what she was talking about, but I went to see her anyway. Well, the young man was there, gave me the code and verified that it could be accessed anywhere in the hotel. I did have a little trouble getting to the security code screen because I was too impatient to wait for it to show up. They couldn't help me and gave me the technical support phone number. I went back to my room and this time waited long enough for the security code screen to kick in, then entered the code. Code expired! Called them and was put on hold forever so I hung up and called again. They told me they would call me back in half an hour to give me the new code. They never did and I went to bed. I finally got it the next day from another young man working the front desk.

Housekeeping was inadequate. The first day, I came back in the afternoon to find the room half way cleaned. The dirty towels were gone, but not replaced. The same goes with the pillow cases. I waited to see if they ever came back to finish the job. They never did and I had to call down the lobby to get it done. The other two rooms didn't have any problem though. During my stay, I encountered an incidence in the lobby where a guest was practically yelling at a housekeeping staff for not cleaning her room at all. I kind of felt sorry for the staff. I think they must have been short-handed.

Breakfast was good enough with 2 hot items along with other typical continental breakfast items like juices, pastries, bagels, etc. Having coffee (and tea also, I believe) ready 24-hr a day was nice. The kids also enjoyed the pools and the jacuzzi. Parking spaces were rather limited but not impossible. You can also use the computers in the lobby to access the internet for free.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The facility was nice and clean. It's the staff that needs to be put through extensive training again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ahmeha
Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed July 14, 2006

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Garden Grove for 10 days during our visit to Disneyland, Laguna Beach, Santa Monica, Hollywood and Irvine. This has to be one of the BEST hotels we have ever stayed at. The value for what we paid ($107 to $113 +tax per night) was excellent. The pillow-top beds and fluffy white comforters are the most comfortable of any hotel we visited (and we travel ALOT).
The proximity to Disneyland is perfect and the free parking (others get $10 per night) and free breakfast are superior! The standard room has a nice fridge/freezer and a microwave.
TIP: Freeze a few bottles of water the night before going to the parks and save yourself $3.00 per bottle of water in the park! There is a TARGET just across the street as well as a Carls Jr, Del Taco, Buca De Beppo, IHOP, and quickie mart within a few blocks.
The FREE breakfast variety was great: eggs, biscuits, different meats each day, breads, pastries, free coffee and tea all day, delicious fresh fruit salad, whole friuts, bagels, four kinds of cereal, juices, cocoa, oatmeal, and yogurt are offered every morning from 6-10 am. They also have free grab-n-go breakfasts during the week as well as cookies or popcorn in the afternoon Monday through Friday.
The pools are very nice and exceptionally clean. They have towels at the pooside, but they are small, bring your room towels. The gym includes 3 cardiovascular machines but given the amount of walking we did, we passed on the trip to the gym.
The Resort bus runs from the parking lot. Most people seemed to have rental cars or their personal cars.
There are at total of 4 coin-operated washing machines and 3 dryers (1 is broken). I would have preferred more laundry machines. Considering our long stay, I needed to do laundry twice and there was a sort wait for other guests to finish using the machines.
The room was cleaned impeccibly every day. The sheets were changed, bathroom mopped and the room vacuumed. The front desk staff was prompt and very courteous!
We have no complaints and would definitely stay here again. We priced many many many hotels in the area and are amazed at how Hampton Inn Garden Grove far exceeded our expectations.
Hope that you found this review helpful and enjoy your stay in Orange County!!!

• Stayed: July 2006
23  Thank familyoffourNJ
Reviewed June 9, 2006

The Hampton Inn is a very family friendly hotel. We stayed a week and were very pleased with our rooms. Our room had 2 double beds. Each room has a microwave and mini refridgerator. There were 3 phones, one between the beds, one on the table with two chairs, and one in the bathroom. The beds were heavenly. Fresh (new) linens and lots of pillows.

In the lobby they have 2 computers set up with internet access and printers. I used them a few times, every time I wanted to check email there was usually already someone there. It seemed less crowded at night to use the computers. Every morning there is a breakfast buffet. They had a little of everything. Biscuits, scrambled eggs, assorted muffins and cereals, milk, juices, doughnuts and other pastries. They also have coffee brewing 24 hours a day. The coffee was really good, hot and fresh. They also have an area where you can dine outside.
The lobby is decorated beuatifully and they have lots of pictures that children drew of Disneyland. My daughter drew one and they gave her a Mickey keychain. The hotel also has a gift shop with Disney items, snacks, drinks, and other things you might need, if you forgot them. (tylenol, laundry detergent, band-aids, etc.)

There are two laundry rooms located on the 2nd and 3rd floors. It is a dollar to wash and a dollar to dry. I found it convienient to be able to wash clothes while we were there.
The pools are pretty, there are two. One that is large and about five feet deep and a toddler pool that is only a foot deep. The hot tub is on the far end. I decided not to get in any of the pools because they just didn't seem clean enough to me. I know chlorine will kill anything, but maybe it was just me. The hotel and grounds are extremely clean- it was just the pools that bothered me a little, my daughter and nephew had a blast swimming.

Disneyland is about a five minute drive from the hotel. We took the ART. (anaheim resort transit) the bus stop is a short walk across the hampton parking lot. It stops in front of the Embassy Suites next door. You must have a bus ticket (purchased in front of the Embassy) or a bus pass already bought with your travel package to ride.

We had a great time and I recommend staying here, I would definitely stay here again. It is not fancy, but it is very comfortable and kid friendly.

• Stayed: June 2006
13  Thank faeriegraves
Reviewed May 24, 2006

A two night stay in May 2006; after checking various sites online for prices, it was cheapest to book directly through the hotel (on the phone or online, did not matter). Originally booked at $160.00 a night w/AAA, I watched the rates over the next two weeks and they dropped to $149.00 two days prior to our arrival. I called the hotel, mentioned the new rate and as he was checking to make the change, he said he could get us the same room for $134.00 a night. WHAT A DEAL!

I requested upper floor (hotel has 7 floors)...we got the upper floor and a view of the park, in the event fireworks were being done. Unfortunately the nights we stayed, no fireworks were taking place.

Having two kids (4 & 6 years old), we wanted enough space for when we had to stay in the room, that we were not on top of each other (and kids fighting over space, tv shows, etc). We reserved their two room "suite" that had 2 queen beds plus sofa bed and full size kitchen.

The hotel was recently remodeled (Feb 2006) so everything still had that "new" smell and feel to it. The faint smell of paint in the hallway and the new carpet smell, did not bother any of us.

Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel shares the same parking lot with other "Hilton" family hotels: Embassy Suites & Hilton Garden, along with Buca Di Bepo Italian restaurant. Parking can be a tight squeeze (especially in a large SUV) but there was never a shortage of spaces close by.

Very impressed when we first walked into our room. Clean and everything in order!

Two of the most comfortable "pillow top" queen size beds ever. I prefer firm bed, husband prefers softer and neither of us could complain! Tons of pillows on each bed (firm and soft), along with extra fluffy and snuggly comforters. These beds were like you would find at home or high class hotel..... There was a full size closet (with mirrored doors), small desk w/chair, tv on dresser with three drawers and a reclining chair. Bedroom had its own a/c system (different from the "living room").

Bathroom had the vanity/sink area outside of the toilet/shower/tub area. Bathroom was well lit and came with blow dryer, toiletries and extra toilet paper/kleenex. Again, very much like home.

Bathroom tub area was standard except it did have the curved shower curtain rod which is a plus so you do not have the curtain clinging to you while showers. Our biggest "pet peeve" has always been shower heads so low that someone taller needs to duck down to get their head wet or hit their head. The shower head was up high, high, high! Okay, shorter people may need help reaching the top to adjust but it does have the massager head with various sprays. Lots of towels for the entire family so no extra were even needed. (Phone in bathroom, in the event you cannot be without one!)

The "living" room area had its own tv set along with the nintendo (pay to use). It sat on a dresser that included three more drawers. I large silk tree in the corner by the sliding door (which leads to nice size balcony w/two chairs & table). (Pack your game cube or other type of plug in the tv game and save that money).

This room also has its own a/c unit as well. (Both rooms have black out drapes to enable you to sleep in!).

The sofa bed opens to a double size bed. Made up simple and there are extra pillows/blankets in the bedroom closet for your use. The bed, like most sofa beds cannot be comfortable to too many adults (due to the thin mattress and that bar!) but it is PERFECT for kids and my son loved having his own bed, in his own room.

Due to occassional bed wetting, we did bring a waterproof pad at home and slipped it under the sheets before he went to bed.

A coffee table is up against the wall, which allows more walking room and there is a small end table next to the sofa and the recliner chair. Again, silk plants on these tables too.

Now, the kitchen. The other best feature (aside from the beds)....a FULL SIZE fridge so you should pack your ice chest with whatever and bring it from home. This will save you a fortune! Regular size freezer as well.....if you don't want to bring from home, then locate a local grocery store and buy the small things you may need.

The kitchen has a 2 burner (electric) cooktop, full size sink (with disposal) and dishwasher. A 4 cup coffee pot is on the countertop with coffee, creamer, etc but there is coffee available downstairs in the "dining" area 24/7. They also left 1 bag of microwave popcorn for us, to use in the microwave that was located above the cooktop.

Utensils for 3-4 people....along with pot holders, cooking utensils, etc in the drawer.

Plates, bowls, coffee cups, drinking glasses for 4-6 people are in the cupboard, along with 3 different size pots (perfect for whipping up pasta/sauce). Two larger bowls for salad/fruit, etc are in the lower cupboard. It is possible that more silverware was once in the drawers and has just been accidently taken over the years. Call the front desk or housekeeping and no doubt, they will bring you more of what you need. I did not see a frying pan either, but I'm sure there must have been one there at some point in time. Oh, the three pots, are nice solid ones....not cheap ones!

I brought two nightlights from home, so the kids would have enough light when getting up to use the bathroom. Plenty of extra cupboard space for your "goodies" from home and lighting for cooking, reading, etc.

Each floor has working ice machine & soda machine.

Breakfast is served daily downstairs in their "dining" room. Coffee is available 24/7, along with hot chocolate packages for the kids (and hot water) and tea bags. Flavored creamer, sugar, etc.

Breakfast for the two days we were there was very nice: various pastries/muffins, bagels and thick sliced bread. Pop whatever you want in the toaster and wait for yours to be ready. Small individual containers with butter, honey, jam/jelly, cream cheese and peanut butter was there for your liking. Juice machine served OJ, Apple and Cranberry juices for breakfast. Fresh bananas/apples were always out for you to help yourself and fresh fruit was cut up each morning and served chilled (melon, oranges, grapes, pineapple). Various cold cereals were there as well as skim milk, whole milk and 2%...again, something for everyone. Hot dishes varied.....eggs were there both days and were okay. Since they have no real kitchen (that we could see)....they must have been powdered type eggs that get mixed and stuck in the microwave. Hubby and kids both enjoyed them and said they were not bad. Biscuits one morning, waffles the next and sausage patties were also served.

Plenty of space to sit and enjoy breakfast...both inside and outside. Breakfast is served from 6-10am and they contstantly replinish whatever is missing during those times.

Apparently an "afternoon" snack is also provided (weekdays only) but we only saw a popcorn maker (like you see at the movie theater).....

There is a flat screen tv in the dining room that shows cartoons in the morning for the kids (sit close so you can hear it).........and plenty of seating for eating and even more in the lobby for relaxing.

A small gift type shop is there so you can buy frozen meals, ice cream, snacks, t-shirts, etc. Prices did not seem that unreasonable.

Our previous experience in this type of hotel was their "sister" hotel just across the street (Homewood Suites). It has been about 2 years since staying there, but at the time we thoroughly enjoyed that as well. Now, unless they have recently remodeled, without a doubt, we will come back to the Hampton Inn again and highly recommend it to friends/family (and you).

Oh, the website does not mention that they have a "kids" room at this hotel but learned about it from their "information" booklet in the room. The kids room is a regular room, maybe a tad bigger that has a king size bed PLUS bunk beds. All share the same room and have the standard mini fridge, coffee pot, etc. The price difference (at this time) between the kids room and the suite we got was only about $30.00 a night and the extra we spent, was well worth it.

Housekeeping was wonderful.....any dishes that happen to be in the sink, the placed into the dishwasher and ran it prior to us coming back to the room.

Running late the morning of check out, we were told we could stay until 2pm (check out is noon) and if we needed additional time, to call the front desk.

Walls were WELL INSULATED so you did not hear the people next door....which is always a complaint at hotels!

Got any questions, feel free to contact me!

24  Thank kalliekoko
Reviewed May 19, 2006

I knew from previous stays in the Garden Grove/Anaheim ares that there are 3 Hilton properties within 1 Block of each other: Hilton Garden Inn (HG), Embassy Suites (ES) and Hampton Inn (HI). In fact, they share the same big parking lot & use the same shuttle service. I've stayed in all 3 so here's a comparison:
- Hampton Inn is slightly more expensive ($120) than the Hilton Garden ($99); but about $10-$20 less than the ES ($140). Hampton it's the most "kid friendly" - lots of drawings by young "Artists in residence" in the lobby. It's cleaner than the ES but not as clean as the HG. This is probably because the Hilton Garden is newer; but also there are fewer families with kids staying there.
- HI's breakfast was good: fresh friuit, decent pastries, flavored, regular, "robust" and decaf coffee, juice machine, cereals, french toast sticks and sausage patties. (The HG does not have a free buffet breakfast like the HI and the ES). The dining area at the Hampton is smaller; but nicer and quieter than the ES.
- Rooms in the HG, HI & ES all have microwaves and mini-fridges.
- Outdoor Pool area in the HI is nicer than the ES. Hampton's pool is long . Pool area at HG is nicer and quieter; but pool is smaller at the HG than the ES & HI. All 3 have outdoor jacuzzi's.
- Comfortable beds in all 3;Nicer toiletries in the HI; free parking at all three.
- Gym in the HG is a stationery bike, treadmill and universal machine. HI's gym is a treadmill, stepper and bike. There's a golf driving range with free ( beat-up) clubs to use behind the 3 facilites. All three hotels are two miles from Anaheim Angels stadium and Duck Pond
- I think the service at the HG is the best of the 3. Friendlier and quicker to correct problems.
My phone did not work at the Hampton inn for the 30 hours I was there despite asking some one to correct it three times.
- Make sure you ask for a room that is wired for the internet if you don't have a wireless computer connection. All 3 hotels offer free internet connection. I experienced frustrating delays and problems with my e-mail connectivity at all 3 hotels (and with the nearby Hilton Anaheim).
- Bottom line: if you care about the free breakfast ( the breakfast buffet is a zoo at the ES, by the way); and are traveling with kids but don't need a suite; stay at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
10  Thank Royzee
Reviewed May 19, 2006

We stayed at the hotel from May 15th to the 18th. We had the best time!!! Their was a pool, hot tub, free courtesy breakfast and evening snacks. Shuttle service was provided to Disneyland.
The lobby was bright and inviting, Their were also two computers, with printers, that we used to print our airplane boarding passes and mapquest directions. The staff was so friendly and sincere, they asked us if we needed anything, to just ask. The elevator was big and clean, the hallways were bright and had a big selection of soda/water/ice/snack machines. The room was so nice and big. We stayed in a standard room, with two queen beds. Dont get me started about the linens/mattresses/pillows... It felt like sleeping on a cloud!! The TV was great, the bathroom was great, with all kinds of shampoo/conditioner/lotion/soaps!! Extra towels in the bathroom, extra pillows and blankets and a dirty laundry bag in the closet, with an iron/ironing board, for the wrinkled clothes you have after unpacking came in handy. The housekeeping was wounderful and unintrosive. The air/fan was working fine and had no problems. I forgot my razor and the front desk gave me one at no charge!! They also had a small gift counter area at the front desk. It was a wonderful time and I highly reccommend that you stay their. Their were several resturants, a target,Walgreens,Am/PM gas right near by also... Oh and Disney was only five minutes away!!! Enjoy!!

• Stayed: May 2006
12  Thank Mare W
A TripAdvisor Member
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2006

Loved the Hotel. Service was great. Breakfasts, included, were great. Could also get a bag lunch to go. Free internet was helpful every morning. Pool is heated along with hot tub. We went (8 of us) to Disneyland and used the shuttle out front to get there.

Will use this Hotel again and highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: May 2006