“Less than Stellar”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
San Diego, United States
“Less than Stellar”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Our stay was not what I imagined we would have at a Hilton Hotel. To be fair, this hotel is located near Disneyland, so if you're looking for a place close to an amusement park, you may be able to make this work. But we happened to be up for a family reunion in the area and I was disappointed that parking was such an issue (spaces are scarce in the evening -- as in, I got the last spot one night -- AND you're paying for parking each night), the beds were not what I imagined (in an effort to accommodate everyone, they have adjustable beds, but you can't sit on them while they're "adjusting" and it takes 45 minutes just to see if the adjustment is to your liking -- who wants to sit around in their hotel room waiting for that?), the bathroom shower curtain was torn, the towel rack is IN the shower which means the towels get damp if you shower with the door closed because there is no fan, our bathroom sink faucet was leaking quite a bit so that needed to be replaced during our stay, the refrigerator is not very cold so if you plan on taking leftovers or drinks to the hotel room, they'll be cool at best, there is quite a bit of traffic noise in the mornings during the week if you're staying on the Harbor Blvd side, and their breakfast which -- yup, you guessed it -- is an additional cost each time, is not worth the expense. Had we not been members of Hilton Honors, I would have definitely booked elsewhere for cheaper, but I thought our stay here would be worth the added expense. I WILL say, the staff is very good. They do try to help as best they can, but there's only so much they can do.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Raymundo E
SNAGG-GM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I want to take this time to apologize for your recent stay with us. I know that parking can be a bit difficult on high occupany nights, but know that we are currently renovating our parking area to accomodate nights such as this. Unfortunately, we seemed to have dropped the ball in certain areas of your stay and I would love for you to provide us with another chance at making it right. For your next stay, please contact myself at Keith.Moses@hilton.com or call (714)620-2137 so we can discuss how to make your next stay a more enjoyable one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We booked three rooms for two nights for a family trip to Disneyland. The hotel was very clean and very quiet. All of us enjoyed the pool and the lobby coffee was excellent! The breakfast bar was reasonably priced and well stocked with the basics. The only negative is that this hotel doesn't provide a free shuttle to Disneyland. There is however a nearby shuttle which costs $5.00 per adult and $3.00 per child.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank BOB1700
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your family's trip to Disneyland. Glad to hear the pool was put into good use by your family as well as the "excellent" coffee that we provide each morning. Although we contract our shuttle to an outside vendor, I am glad that the minimal costs to board the shuttle was not a problem. Hope to have you and your family again in the future.
Charleston, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The name Hilton is, in my mind, synonymous with elegance and excellent service, regardless of the "grade level" of the property. My stay at a Hilton Garden Inn was marred when the housekeeper did not clean my room due to the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door at 10:40 a.m. I am handicapped and my sleep is often disrupted. I spoke with the manager at 11 a.m. who explained the system of housekeeping respecting privacy and then returning later, when the sign was removed, to clean the room. Well, no one did. I expected a clean room and some gesture of good will. I received neither. This experience diminished my opinion of the Hilton name.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank James S
SNAGG-GM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I'm very sorry to hear that we failed to follow up with your room service. Although respecting guest privacy is a priority of ours, we do try our best to provide great service. When available, please e-mail myself at Keith.Moses@Hilton.com or call 714-620-2137 so we can discuss a "gesture of good will" on our part.
United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here on business one night from 24th July 2013.

Pros:
1. Cheaper (paid $244) than many other hotels in the area.
2. Clean and basic
3. Friendly Staff
4. Free WiFi
5. Good for the solo traveler.

Cons:
1. None I can think of, but a colleague of mine said that her room stinked quite a lot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kirantnath
It sounds like your recent stay with us was a great one! We do our very best to accomodate our business travelers by providing specific amenities such as complimentary Wi-Fi and our 24-Hour Business Center. On your colleague's room, it is unfortunate that we overlooked the smell of the room, but rest assured that we have taken care of the situation and we look forward to your future business travels with us.
Franklin, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Nice hotel. Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. The bed was very, very comfortable. I did not have the breakfast but it smelled great every morning. I do wish the wifi was a little sharper. The business center didn;t have the best printer or Internet connection.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank kingcuervo82
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we do appreciate your feedback. Our "Garden Sleep System Beds" are a great amenity to our guests and I am glad that you were able to have a great experience with us. We hope to be your future choice in hotels, the next time you visit.
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed August 11, 2013

There are tons of hotels in the Disneyland area, granted, but the staff was always accommodating, offered us fresh water and baked goods. The room was clean, and it was very quiet. I would stay here again for sure. It's conveniently located near restaurants and within walking distance of banks and shopping.

Room Tip: Face away from the front to avoid the pool noise
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kcdenman
I know that there are many hotels in the Disneyland area, but I am very glad you chose to stay with us. As you stated, we strive to do our best in accomodating our guests with great service and pleasant sleeping rooms. Our location is key and I am happy to hear that it is very convenient for you as well. The next time you are in town, feel free to stop by and say hi.
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Before booking this hotel I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews on hotels near Disneyland and I am pleased to say that I found this hotel was everything that I needed. As I was making the most of my short stay in Anaheim I did not spend much time in my room or at the hotel. My room had a king size bed and although I was on my own it would be a suitable size for 2 adults. Although the décor is a little dated it was clean and tidy and had everything I needed. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the bathroom very clean. My room was near the lifts and surprisingly very quiet, I only heard voices in the hallway a couple of times. The staff were very efficient and helpful but I would have liked to see them smile more and look like they enjoyed working there. They were also very accommodating when I had to suddenly change my travel plans and requested a later check out time at no extra cost. The distance from Disneyland was a little further than I thought, it took me about 30 minutes to walk there, it would probably take a family with children about 40 minutes although there is a shuttle if you don't want to walk but I did not use it. All in all I was happy with my stay but I would like to think that redecorating is on their list of things to do.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank Adrienne E
Thank you for booking with us, your business is appreciated. Although you were not in your room often, I am glad to hear that it was up to your standards for a great guest room. At the Hilton Garden Inn-Anaheim/Garden Grove, we aim to acheive a great working environment and smiling faces is a result of this. In the near future, we do plan on renovating our decor, so the next time you are in town, please keep us in mind.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Anaheim Marriott Suites
#4 of 19 in Garden Grove
Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South
Hampton Inn and Suites Los Angeles - Anaheim - Garden Grove

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove? Share your experiences!