“Great Place to Stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Just got back from the Anaheim area last night and I promised myself that I would write a review for this hotel.

First off, every staff member was VERY friendly and accommodating. They took care of our every need and always greeted us with a smile. Genuinely pleasant people and it was much appreciated.

Second, the rooms were quite nice. Nothing fancy, but very clean and the beds are comfy. The blackout curtains kept the light out and the room was neither too hot, nor too cold (we kept the thermostat between 70-73, I think). We also had a fridge and microwave which was great for having breakfast in the morning while we were getting ready for the day. We had requested a quiet room on an upper floor and I must say I slept better here than I've slept in most hotels in my life. I have a tendency to be a light sleeper and I wasn't woken up at 6am by a bunch of screaming children (not even my own! lol!).

Lastly, I really liked being a little further away from the Disneyland "strip." The shuttles were extremely convenient and much appreciated after a full day walking around the parks. I will suggest that you get to the shuttle stop at least 5 minutes early as they tend to leave a couple minutes before their scheduled departure (this has nothing to do with the hotel though as I believe it's a completely different company). In years past we always stayed within walking distance to and from the parks, but I really liked staying a mile or two away this time. It felt like we were taking a break from the all the madness when we would head back to the hotel.

Overall, we had a lovely stay at the Hilton Garden and would definitely recommend the hotel to friends and family. We managed to get a great deal through Get Away Today and we'll most certainly be back.

Room Tip: Stay on the 6th floor, if you can -- nice and quiet up there. :)
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
SNAGG-GM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

I truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your great stay with us! I have been reading through a number of different reviews and it is great to see (for the most part) a general consensus with what you said; that we offer great service, comfortable beds, quiet rooms, and a reasonable price. All the cornerstones of a great stay! Again thank you for letting us know about your experience with us!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were here for 5 days and were grateful that we spent most of our time out of the hotel. The bathrooms smelt like mold. The hotel in general did not smell good. The rooms were very large and had a large closet, but no storage in the bathroom and the drawers in the room were small and smelled old and dusty. The beds were very comfortable, but the sheets had tears in it, and the comforter was scratchy on top. The extra blankets felt like sand paper, they smelt clean though. The fridge was convenient, but small, we had to put our milk on it's side to fit it in. We ended up using our cooler to carry half of the food. The bathtub plug was very difficult to plug, it kept popping up and had a slow leak so we had to refill the tub every few minutes. The bathroom drain was slow, but you could tell that the maids had cleaned well. The pool area was beautiful, but the pool water was too cool and the Hot tub broken.
I can't really comment on the staff, we never really saw any. We would walk in and out without anyone ever noticing. There was one maid that was very helpful and got us a sewing kit in the middle of the night. If I had her name I would give her kudos’ she was the best part of the experience. I would not say it was a good deal for what we paid or that it deserves the rating it has. But it got the job done. We stayed at a Hampton inn previous to this stay and paid the same amount but it was night and day in contrast in every area. We expected more from this international brand and will probably not stay at a Hilton again, this was very disappointing.

Room Tip: We always like to stay on the top floor, but I guess they reserve those for other rooms (not standar...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

I am so sorry to hear about the issues you had during your stay with us! Please know that we take great pride in our service and amenities, so when we fall short of the high standards we have set for ourselves, it is always a disappointment. I have reviewed your posting with the management team and have addressed the issues mentioned. If you get a moment to contact me direcltly so I may have the opportunity to investigate the specific room and try to make this up to you it would be greatly appreciated. You may reach me at keith.moses@hilton.com or by dialing 714.620.2137.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

Just stayed here Sept 28 - Oct 2 with my wife and daughter and was very pleasantly surprised by my experience here. The room was clean, spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable. The staff was very attentive and friendly, including the front desk people who were always smiling and helpful and the waiter for breakfast who was cheerful and friendly. The breakfast was good and reasonably priced with the coupon where adults paid $10 and kids ate free. The hotel had a shuttle every half hour to and from Disney (cost $10 per day for 2 adults and 1 child) which made going to and from Disney very convenient. The hotel was in walking distance to several restaurants (i.e. Buco Di Pepo, Outbacks, Joe's Crab Shack, etc.) as well as being convenient to Target and Walgreens if you need to shop for necessities. In short, a great hotel experience which helped make this a great overall Disney vacation.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rich R

Thank you so much for pointing out all that the hotel has to offer, including the great service, comfortable beds, tasty breakfast, and all that the surrounding area has to offer. All at a reasonable price. We look forward to having you back int he future!

Reviewed September 20, 2011

My family stayed here from Sep. 2 to 7 recently. We arrived at hotel around 10:00 pm. We were so tired after long travel. When we were walking towards front desk to check-in, the front desk staff had a big smile and greeted us so pleasantly that we almost forgot how tired we were.. He waved at our kids and carried himself professionally. He made us feel very welcomed. I should have got his name.
The bed was very comfortable and clean. We have stayed at 5 star hotels and never had this kind of comfortable bed. It was worth it after spending all day walking at disneyland. Hotel breakfast was nothing special but all I can remember was that friendly front desk staff who checked us in on the night of Sep. 2, 2011.
Having the microwave and fridge was helpful when we brought some leftover food from the parks to consume in the morning. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for mentioning our Garden Sleep System beds. I agree, it is nice to be able to choose your own comfort level, whether it be firm or soft. Also, we pride ourselves in our service and it seems to have impacted your stay!

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stayed for a trip to Disney. Some of other guests were there for Disney also, and the rest were business travellers. Note that we didn't really like this part of town and would only stay here for a specific local attraction, such as Disney or the convention center. There are local restaurants catering to families ... Denny's, a bakery and cafe with large pictures all over a plastic menu, Buca Di Beppo in the parking lot and others. Otherwise, the businesses seem mostly local and have large iron bars across the front windows and doors at night.

But back to our trip ... it was perfect. We stayed for two nights. The first day we spent at Disney, and the 2nd day we went sightseeing in the morning, begged for a late checkout and took a nap, and then headed to the airport for a late afternoon flight. Assuming the rates are reasonable next time we go, I won't look at other hotels (though there are a bunch nearby that all look nice as well).

Plusses:
- Most important was the shuttle running every 30 mins to and from Disney. It was prompt and reliable and cheap. It made it possible for us to hit Disney first thing in the morning, take a nap mid-day, and then go back in the afternoon.
- Staff very friendly
- Breakfast very good and reasonable: $10 for adults and free for kids with a paying adult. The food was good quality, and they cooked whatever you wanted to order.
- Beds super comfortable with very soft sheets and pillows.
- Microwave + fridge in rooms
- Decent workout center and pool. Pool was "warm enough" but could be warmer. I swam at 7 AM with overcast conditions and cool outside and survived.
- Overall a well designed hotel; very clean, quiet, nice, and comfortable. It's not a "luxury" hotel, but it hit all of my needs well.
- Very reasonable price.
- We were able to buy Disney tickets at the front desk and have them charged to our room.

Negatives:

- They charge you $12/day for parking.
- Views from pool area are out onto street and other hotels (not very attractive but not awful either).
- Not much within walking distance if you have small children.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank chessiepony
SNAGG-GM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

There is nothing I enjoy more then hearing that you had a perfect stay while you were with us! Thank you for pointing out the long list of our wonderful pluses. I am glad to see the minuses were far outweighed! We look forward to having you back in the future.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

I recently stayed here with a family of four. I have previously stayed at about ten different hotels in the area. I like Hilton Garden Inns and have stayed at a handful across the US. This one was disappointing. The staff, of course, is polite and professional. Very nice folks. On the flip side, our room had issues. The faucet in the tub dripped (about 2 drips a second) non-stop. The anti-slip flooring in the bottom of the tub was about half worn off. The toilet had been replaced recently and was brand new - but the old caulk was still on the tile showing the outline of the old toilet - and the seat bolts were loose (real loose - as though it was installed and someone forgot to tighten them at all - I turned it by hand about 12 turns to get it moderately tight). The microwave was bolted down and oddly created a buzzing vibration on the kitchen area that was audible all night - had to have the room fan on all night to block it out. Lastly, at least one bed linen had a hole in it that my kids noticed. Breakfast was decent, but unacceptably slow.

This hotel was poor overall and a poor representation of the Hilton Brand. The following is a list of hotels I have stayed at in the Anaheim/Garden Grove area in the same price range that were overall better: Hampton Inn and Suites - Garden Grove; Sheraton Suites Garden Grove; Marriott Residence Inn - Garden Grove; Marriott Fairfield Inn - across street from park; Anaheim Marriott.

On this same trip, I stayed at the Grand Californian for 3 nights - ended up needing a hotel for a 4th night and went with this one thinking I'd get a typical Garden Inn experience - but it did not happen. I definitely recommend considering area alternatives.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jason G

We take great pride in both our service and accomdations, I am terribly sorry that we fell short for you on the accomodations side. I assure you the issues you had were an anomoly and by no means the norm. I wish we had the opportunity to make things better prior to your departure. Please feel free to contact me at 714.620.2137 or via email at keith.moses@hilton.com. so we may discuss in more detail. Thanks!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Economical choice near Irvine. Many restaurants near by; breakfast on site, or good choices are also nearby. Wanted the Hilton Anaheim, it was sold out. This was a very good alternate in the vicinity.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

When you do come back please make sure to drop in to say hello! Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South
Hilton Anaheim
Hilton Anaheim
#48 of 119 in Anaheim

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove? Share your experiences!