“Dissapointed”

Motel 6 Garden Grove
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Room showed signs of mold in bathroom, phone wasn't plugged in, no cord, blow dryer broken, bed uncomfortable, light cover off light and filthy.....continental breakfast, was under stocked, trash over flowing and counter filthy.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Yetimeister

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I recently stayed here and found it very adequate. It had all the basic amenities, although the breakfast room was locked in the morning. However, the linens were fresh and clean. The bathroom area looked quite new. It had everything I wanted for a one night stay. I would definitely recommend this place for anyone on a budget. There was a bit of dust on the chairs and table which appeared to be older. It was a quiet location, very satisfactory.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2012

you get what you pay for. econo lodge right off the freeway in so cal, not exactly pretty. the driveway as very difficult to get into, if you blink you miss it. that being said, the gentleman who works on weekends was awesome. He went out of his way to replace the tv in our room that was not working. (we werent going to be in the room much, but my husband really wanted to know he had a working tv to watch.) He made sure our telephone worked, when i got locked out of our room, even though my id was in my room, he remembered who i was and issued me a new key. over sleeping our alarms, we rushed to beat the late check out charges, jumped in the CLEAN shower to find a shower head installed high enough that a 6 foot tall person could enjoy it! being over an hour past check out, the manager only charged me the first late hour,

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was desperate and this was the only room available in the area (which should have told me something).

Front desk clerk was polite - check in was painless. Room was scary- old couch that looked like it had been on the trash heap. The handles on the sink were installed backwards. TV did not work. Bedspread was tattered and I was afraid to sit on it. The sheets were clean thankfully.

Positives - low cost, the floors and bathroom were clean, and it was a very quiet room despite the hotel being completely full.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I'm only going to name a few of the problems because their were too many we had to deal with. One, my friend and I drove from the Bay Area to L.A. and reached their hotel at about 5:00 in the morning. Prior to our trip we made reservations through Hotel.com of which payment was made in full. We slept in our car in front of their motel and waited for check-out time which was at 11:00am, so that we could check in. The man behind the desk stated check-in time is at 3:00pm. We asked if we could get an early check-in because of our long drive from the Bay and that we had somewhere to be at 3:00pm. After a few minutes of going back and forth about the cleaning lady and having rooms available, he stated he would see what he could do. He went away, then his wife came out with a horrible attitude and said no, that check-in time is at three and that the rooms were not available yet. I asked her when one might be available since check-out time is 11:00am. She then stated even if they had a room available, they would not check anyone in till 3, and that it was their policy. My friend told her we had to sleep in the car and the lady said she knew, she saw us, but didn't care.I told her hotels accommodate people for early check-in if asked, and had I known this place was not one of them, wouldn't have booked it. I asked for our money back so that we could check-in to a hotel and shower up and she said that since I booked it with Hotel.com they were the ones holding our money not them, and that I needed to call them. I called Hotel.com right in front of her and they were very helpful. They said that it was Econo Lodge who had the funds and it was them who needed to release it. I told Hotel.com that the lady said it was they who had it not them. They called Econo lodge while I was still on the phone with them and were talking to her husband. Hotel.com informed me they tried to get EL to release the funds but they wouldn't do it. So I turned to the lady and told her Hotels.com is asking that you refund our money and you guys are the ones denying them. Then she said they were not going to release anything because there is no refunds. I asked her why she was playing word games with me telling me it was Hotels.com not releasing it when she knew in fact they were the ones not releasing it. She said because it is still between me and Hotels.com and they have nothing to do with it. Never did get our money back. When it was time to check in at 3:00pm, I was met by the grandfather, and I told him we were ready to check in. He barely spoke any English, but told me his son was not back yet. I stated again that it is three o,clock and we are ready to check in. He said he doesn't do that and that his son went to go pick up his grandson from school and that he would be right back. I was trying so hard to keep my temper down because it wasn't this man's fault, and I felt sorry for him that he had to be put in this situation. I told him my anger wasn't directed towards him and that things had happened that morning, and that we needed to check in now. I asked where his daughter was and he said she wasn't there either. He was confused and looked apologetic himself and then left. His son finally came with his son in the car, and rushed from the car to get to the office. We finally got our room, and I see the comforter had a big cut as if someone sliced it with a razor. A thought went through my mind that they did this intentionally to blame us for it later. I wanted to know the password for the wi-fi access but when I went to dial the office, no dial tone. I checked the phone line and found it wasn't plugged it, and I couldn't even find the phone jack. Again, a thought ran through my mind as it being intentional because they didn't want us to contact them. I ended up using my cell phone to call them. The toilet paper roll holder barely held the toilet paper roll and so it kept dropping. The heater couldn't even keep my friend warm. The saying 'you get what you pay for' would still not constitute this type of treatment. Excluding the shower, we were better off sleeping in our car! When we went to get breakfast at the EL, their small grape jelly packet was opened and put back in with the rest. Disgusting! This 'motel' made it to where I will never set foot in any Econo lodge ever! I promise that there is no exaggeration on my end, what I say happened, unfortunately really happened. I've never yelped a day in my life, but made it a point to warn others.
Good travels to all!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank M C
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My boyfriend decided to come to town last weekend at the last minute for some family business and we needed to find an affordable hotel. We came across the Econo Lodge in Garden Grove and stayed in one of the smaller, lower priced rooms. We found our room to be clean, quiet & extremely comfortable. The manager (female) was very friendly & accommodating, and even providing me with extra pillows & towels. We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erica H
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Check in was easy, and arranging billing for the two different "stays" I needed to document went well too. I had booked a jacuzzi suite believing this would mean a roomier place. Don't be fooled! The jacuzzi room has no place to hang up any clothes, no desk with chair, and a poorly lit mirror over the tiny bathroom sink. If one needs a well lit image of themselves while dressing or applying make-up you need to do this while standing in the jacuzzi tub.
The post I read when making reservations online indicate the pooll was closed, so I had no expectations. However, it also indicated wi-fi. This was a joke, as the two nodes they had were difficult to impossible to access.

Room Tip: Check the room they want to give you first!