“Disneyland extravaganza”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Disneyland extravaganza”
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn Resort Area with our three kiddos (5,3 and 1). The kids bunk suite met all our needs. The baby slept in a playpen in the living room and it was great for the kids to have their own bathroom. I thoroughly did my research and was not let down.
But, there are a few downsides - the buffet does get very busy, so get there early. The elevators do get busy during the prime busy hours - there are only 2 elevators. The stairs are outside which is just odd. The pool does not get afternoon sun so it was not very warm. They say there is not WI-Fi in the rooms, but my laptop sniffed it out. Try it.
The upsides -- Big rooms with plenty of space for the kids and us.. ART is very convenient and timely, just board the bus early and plan on getting into the park early to beat the crowds. The food was tasty, but by the fourth morning we were done.
If we come back to Disneyland again I will stay here. But this time I will not order food from the horrible Chinese restaurant across the street.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank travelcolomama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed April 3, 2009

I have stayed here several times, once for business. It's always a pleasure because the rooms are so clean and spacious, plus the breakfast buffet makes it easy for little ones. I like the fact that we can wake up early and have a solid breakfast right away - reduces the crabbiness of the whole family. Also the experience of making your own waffles is very exciting for my daughter. They have a full buffet incl eggs - no corners being cut. The ride to Disneyland is a bit longer than some other hotels and we did have to wait about 30 minutes for a shuttle, but I felt it was worth it. No wait going back. The staff is really friendly. I do wish they had a bellman though. We arrived before check-in and they weren't able to put our bags in the room. However, someone did help us lug everything up the elevator when we came back. I like that two adults and two kids can stay in the room and not feel overcrowded. Plus it feels a bit like home, drinking out of a nice glass or mug in the room. I could put up my feet and have some tea. If you wanted to make sandwiches,etc to take to the park, you could. Also there are several restaurant choices and a Target in short walking distance, so if you need anything it's easy. You can walk to the convention center too. I wouldn't walk to Disneyland.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ksolag
cubsfan12
Reviewed March 27, 2009

It had been years since we had been to Disneyland, so I thoroughly researched all of the hotels around Disneyland. Beforehand, I didn't have a good feel for where every area was, so I agonized about deciding on this hotel. Should I stay closer? Will this be too busy? What about the other reviews? We went with 3 children, my sister and her family and my parents. From start to finish, we thoroughly enjoyed our hotel experience. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Our crib arrived just as scheduled and housekeeping did a wonderful job. Breakfast was great - the staff did a great job of keeping everything refilled, even with the large spring break crowds - and there were plenty of good choices, both hot and cold. The pool area is very nice, although it was a bit too cold outside for us to swim. The kids liked the pool, though, and it felt warm enough. I just couldn't get in!
It is about 4/5 blocks to disney/C.A. We drove our car and probably would've walked had we not had a 1 year old. However, parking is just $12/day at Disney, so that's not a big deal. Rooms are very clean. They are new, updated and are a bit smaller than the older Residence Inn set-ups, but a family of 2 adults/3 kids had plenty of room. We were on the street side and had no complaints. Even with high school teams staying with a tournament, we had no noise complaints at the full hotel. We were pleasantly surprised! Red Robin, Pizza Hut Express, Outback, another great Pizza Joint, Starbucks, and Target and Del Taco all right out of the back door of the hotel. It was perfect for us.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank cubsfan12
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our holiday to spend time at Disneyland. I have been to Disneyland on 6 different occasions and stayed at different places each time. Next time, we will definately choose this resort. The staff were extremely helpful, the breakfasts were great (although there was a large lineup for the waffle maker and hot breakfast as it got later in the morning), the rooms were comfortable and very clean and the facilities onsite were great.

The management have thought of everything here (except more elevators) including having your groceries purchased for you free of charge which is great after a very long day at Disneyland. Also, if there are any small toiletries that you have forgotten, don't worry as they are sure to have an emergency size at front desk free of charge too.

The hotel is a bit of a walk from Disneyland but the #1 Anahaeim Shuttle stop is directly out the front of the hotel. You can buy a 3 day pass for $10 which is pretty good value.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Roseville, Ca
Reviewed March 16, 2009

This is the second time I have stayed at this property and it is outstanding! I was stayed at this location for business, but also was able to get over to Disneyland one afternoon as well. I drove as I had a rental car and have an Annual Pass that includes parking. The shuttle is right out front for those that need to use it. Not free, but seemed reasonable.

The entire staff is great. Kudos to General Manager Jim Keeby. His leadership is evident with the staff that works here. The property has an appealing exterior and is very pleasant. The lobby is clean and sparkling. There is a huge breakfast area and I can see why. This is a very popular place for families visiting Disneyland. The breakfast can get quite busy. It was still a rather slow period of time for Disneyland visits, but breakfast was a little busy.

I had a King suite on the 8th floor (top floor) facing Harbor Blvd. I would imagine that a room facing the interior would be a little better and quieter, but the noise from Harbor was not to bad. i do like to have a window open too. The room was very comfortable. Super clean and a comfortable bed. I travel alot so having a kitchen is becoming more and more important to me. The full size refrigerator, microwave and range top were all used. I stocked up on food at the Vons, less than a mile away.

The bathroom has just basic ammenties. The last two Residence Inns I have stayed at have only had shampoo and conditoner. I had to ask for lotion, which to me is a little odd. (Economy?) Not a major issue, but can they please put back the lotion? Towels were great. Nice and fluffy. The TV's are a little dated as more and more properties are getting flat screens. Free Internet which worked fairly well. Thank you!

The breakfast was very good. A different flavor waffle, besides the plain ones, were offered. A cool touch. Everything was very fresh. The kept the area very clean. It is always great to see the excitment of the kids getting ready for Disneyland as I was getting ready to go to work.

I didn't use the pool, but it looked very nice. There are only two elevators and I can imagine it may be a wait at times. It wasn't a major issue for me, but I do like to use the stairs as often as I can. Hiking up eight floors is a good pump and very "green".

I would definitely stay here again in the future. It gets difficult to find a state rate, but I was able to get one this time. Again, thanks. I hope to enjoy your property again soon.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelingMan5989
Northern California
Reviewed March 4, 2009

Comfortable accomodations and good breakfast to get you through the day, though it gets quite busy at the buffet so bring some patience with you. The kitchenettes are helpful for heating up leftovers, storing cold drinks, popping popcorn, etc. I recommend asking for a lower floor room as there are only two elevators and the higher up you go, the longer the wait. We were on the second floor so using the stairs (even though they exited you outside the hotel) were very convenient. I really didn't have much interaction with the staff other than checking in at 1:30 a.m. but the man helping us was quite pleasant. Our rooms were always made up and cleaned nicely by the time we returned in the afternoon for a brief rest before heading back out. Never had to use the car once; there's a large Target store kitty corner to the property and an easy enough walk. Didn't go to the grocery store but I hear there are three in fairly close proximity (you might need to drive though). The ART shuttle service was always timely for us. Could be the traveler who spoke of its unreliability might have accidentally tried to catch it during their "down" time of between 1 and 2 p.m.? We never had to wait longer than 15 minutes, either outside the hotel or outside Disneyland. Overall a very pleasant place to stay and I would definitely book there again. In fact, I liked it better than when we stayed at the Embassy Suites last year!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katwiskrs
BC
Reviewed February 25, 2009

We stayed here while visiting Anaheim Disneyland. The room was great, the full breakfast was excellent - kept us full until lunch at the park. Light dinner snacks also complimentary M-W - actually very light.

The main issue is the location - great if you have a car - but not so good if you don't - the Anaheim Resort Transit(ART) shuttle system was very inconsistent - varying from stepping right onto the shuttle to waiting up to 60min on several occaisions - so unless you have a very flexible schedule don't rely on the ART - they don't seem to have a set schedule.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Hyatt Place at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
Anaheim Marriott Suites
Anaheim Marriott Suites
#5 of 19 in Garden Grove

Been to Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove? Share your experiences!