“Perfect for Families”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Phoenix, Arizona
“Perfect for Families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights for vacation. I am a Marriott Rewards general member.

Location: The hotel is located south of Disneyland along with a bunch of other hotels up and down Harbor Blvd. It is clearly a tourist area - lots of hotels and restaurants. This is a very good location if you are going to Disneyland. It's not within reasonable walking distance, but there are shuttle buses you can catch (for a fee) every 20 minutes. It was easy to access nearby freeways (I-5 and 22) to go to other areas in LA. Parking was a bit tight, especially during check-in, but there are plenty of spaces in the lot. Notice that you will be charged $10 per night for parking. They did not disclose this at check-in, but fortunately I knew about this beforehand.

Check-In: We arrived around 4pm on Saturday. I was surprised that it wasn't very busy, especially since it is a larger Residence Inn. Check-in was very quick and efficient. The hotel amenities were described in detail and the front desk staff was very friendly. This was the first time in my travels someone actually acknowledged my room requests (high floor, quiet location). She could not get us on the top floor, but she got us on the 5th floor in a quiet area facing the pool.

Property/Room: We booked a 2 bedroom suite - One king bedroom and one bedroom with 2 twin beds (not bunk). The hotel itself is in excellent condition - very clean and nicely appointed. The room was in pretty good condition, but you can see some signs of wear and tear, probably from all the kids that stay there. This is not a typical Residence Inn, as it has rooms meant for kids. One of the bedrooms had 2 twin beds and its own bathroom. Our kids loved having their own room. It was separated from the living room by a sliding door with very light curtains. The living room had a sofa bed and an LCD TV mounted on the wall. The kitchen had standard appliances. We even took advantage of the oven one day and baked a pie. The king bedroom was comfortable. The bed was a bit on the soft side, so my back wasn't too happy. The bathrooms were clean and in decent shape. The one in the kids bedroom had a leaky toilet, which I fixed myself by tightening one of the fittings.

Amenities: The property has a regular pool, kids pool, jacuzzi, small gym, business center, laundry, gift shop (with Disney souvenirs), and arcade game room (although most were out of order). There are BBQ grills if you want to cook your own food. The dining area was pretty big compared to other Residence Inns I've stayed at. I'm guessing it was done on purpose to accommodate all of the families/kids. There is even a section where kids can sit and watch the Disney channel. The breakfast consisted of various hot and cold items, such as eggs, sausage, waffles, pastries, cereal, fruit, etc. I noticed one day they even had beef tamales - quite the surprise! During the week they have a light dinner service. We were only there on Monday and they had a baked potato bar. Not bad if you don't feel driving around to find a restaurant. Glancing at the calendar, they also have finger foods and bbq on other nights.

Service: All of the staff was very friendly. One morning while we were eating breakfast, one of the staff brought over balloons for our kids. I don't remember her name, but she always had a smile and was not afraid to greet everyone. Housekeeping did a good job with the room.

Overall it was a very good experience. I don't tend to stay at Marriott properties, but I would consider staying here again in the future based on the room and service.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter. If you face the north, you can get a view of the fireworks at Dis...
3 Thank IntlSalesGuy
FRankGM106, General Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review. Residence Inn Anaheim Resort is centrally located with access to all Southern California attractions. Your review touched on many of the reasons that we are the best choice for a hotel stay during a visit to Disneyland. I especially enjoyed the details and how you elaborated on different areas of the hotels. Thanks for recommending us it is an honor to received such a positive review from a seasoned traveler like your self. I Hope to have you and your family back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here for 8 nights. We combined a family vacation with a basketball tournament. The only real glitch we had was when our team showed up few days after we had. There was a mixup on rooms and they had to scramble to find some of our group a room. That being said, they more than apologized to our group and even went as far as leaving cookies in all of the rooms of our group with a note of apology.

Quite a hike to get to Disneyland, but we utilized the local ART transportation system (once we got it figured out). ART costs $4 per day per person and you can ride any line as many times as you like. The hotel was in a great location with the ART system picking up and dropping off right outside the front door. The facility was very clean which is a big deal to me. As a basketball mom and someone who stayed for a longer time, I really appreciated the laundry room facility! It is located 1/2 block away from Target, so it was easy to run over there for yogurt, fruit, etc. to stock our kitchenette and save some money on food. It is just on the edge of where the resort area ends and the real world starts, so we did encounter a few sketchy people as we walked around the area.

Breakfast quality was average, but very welcome to our food budget. They change up the menu a little bit each day, so we weren't eating the same thing every morning. One night, they hosted a barbecue for the guests.

Would we stay here again? Yes...unless we chose one of the Disney properties, this was the best choice for our large group.

Room Tip: They have several suites that were awesome for our large group. My son's room had two queen bed...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
It means a great deal to us to receive such a positive review from someone that has stayed at our hotel for 8 nights. Your review touched on many of the reasons that we are the best choice for a hotel stay during a visit to Disneyland. Our daily breakfast buffet is an added value especially when you are traveling with a family. Thank you for being our guest!
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed for 14 days here, the Residence Inn Garden Grove is tops! First, you are greeted with the warmest and happiest people behind a front desk..Thanks Jessilyn! Great rooms, flat screen tv's. We had 16 people in our group 8 were children, the money I saved on breakfast alone was a blessing because of the free buffet full breakfast..everyday something different to choose from (loved the creamed spinach)..and also Mon. thru Thur. 5-7 pm. a nice simple dinner..on Thur. a bar-b-q style meal by the Residence Inn..hamburgers and hot dogs even veggie style..always fruits and salad available. And you can use the grill anytime you want also..My neighbors stayed at another hotel and breakfast was 15.95 per person..(and I ate real good here)..Movie night and popcorn for children on Friday..Balloons, washable tattoo art for children..Ice cream days..free internet service everyday, business room..what else can you ask for..So if you are traveling to Disneyland or just traveling in the Anaheim area choose The Residence Inn Garden Grove..You will not be disappointed! Thanks Residence Inn... I'll be back!!! Ms. Mathis

2 Thank blessed1ne
I am very lucky to have a staff full of great people like Jessilyn working at this hotel. Our staff genuinely cares about our guest's experience and we will always go out of our way to ensure that every guest has a great memorable stay. Both our daily breakfast buffet and the evening manager’s reception are an added value especially when you are traveling with a family. Thank you for being our guest! Hope to see you soon.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We expected more for the price and the rating from other guests posted here. The hotel is very shabby. The carpet felt tacky under foot. The sofa bed was fraying and the pull out bed had an odd smell. There are no bell services, everything is strictly DIY, like bringing luggage up to your room. There is no restaurant or bar on the premises. To have a glass of wine by the pool, guests are advised to go to the nearby Hyatt, have the wine served in a plastic cup, and then quietly walk it back over to the Marriott.
We unfortunately had a 4th floor room overlooking the pool. The kids outside were screaming until 10 PM when they close the recreation area. For families trying to put younger kids to bed early so as to be up early for Disneyland, this creates serious problems. It makes it impossible for adults to relax, read or watch TV with the volume turned down until after 10PM.
While we were checking in, a man came up to report a flat tire to the desk clerk. Instead of taking the necessary 10 seconds to run our credit card for the $10 parking fee, the desk clerk kept us waiting for several minutes while she tried to get someone from "engineering" to find a portable tire pump. I finally had to ask the distressed guest myself to let her complete our transaction, which did literally take 10 seconds, before they continued their search for a solution to the flat tire. How about paying $50 annually for AAA? After all this is America, land of self sufficiency and free enterprise!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, avoid rooms overlooking the pool and recreation area. This area does not...
1 Thank Gail N
FRankGM106, General Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
We appreciate your very direct feedback and will follow-up on your impressions to ensure we offer the best stay possible for all of our guests. We expect to provide a clean and comfortable suite with everything in working order and apologize that this was not your experience. We are scheduled for a renovation in the near future and most of the rooms’ issues will be addressed. On behalf of my entire staff, I apologize that your experience was not exceptional. We hope that we can have another opportunity at your business on your next trip to Anaheim.
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We moved from nearby Marriott Anaheim Suites and over to Residence Inn because we needed a kitchen. So what we got extra was a kitchen (with a large refrigerator with freezer), free wi-fi, breakfast included and two separate bedrooms. The master bedroom with a king size bed and separate bath was really nice. The other bedroom had two single beds and a separate bath, but no window. Not so nice (no window..) but OK for kids for 2 week stay. The staff where very friendly and helpful. We got 2 ekstra chairs for the breakfast table, so our large family could eat together.
The wifi is free (which is great for kids and adults..) - not among the fastest, but OK for most uses. We didn't use the free breakfast much, as we have dietary needs not so easily met by the standard breakfast included. But breakfast in our own room was easy and nice instead.
The hotel is close to Disneyland, and central for driving to other destinations in LA.
The AC in the room is a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Book early as this place was packed! Also, making food, be aware that smoke from cooking might trigg...
Thank J.P.Hernes
FRankGM106, General Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review. We get many guests that stay with us for an extended period of time as the Residence Inn Anaheim Resort is centrally located with access to all Southern California attractions. Your review touched on many of the reasons that we are the best choice for a hotel stay during a visit to Disneyland. We hope that you and your family return soon.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We just got back from Disney(July 15-21). I don't have any major complaints against the hotel but, I wasn't there very often and did not utilize some of there services. We were in Disney everyday from 8am-10pm except a few days we came back to the hotel to re-energize. Getting to and from Disney we utilized the ART transit. The good news is, the Residence Inn is the first stop back from the park. The bad news is, it's the ART. The hotel is just over a mile and it takes 30 mins. to walk and that depends on many variables. On average, we waited 25-30mins for the shuttle to arrive and it takes about 20-30mins to get to the park after it makes three more stops. We were never the first in line waiting for the shuttle. There is no set pick up times, you just have to show up and wait when your ready. Also, the inconsistency of the size of the shuttle was frustrating. Sometimes it would be a big bus and others a small shuttle that barely accommodated everyone waiting. The wait time to take the shuttle back form Disney was just as long. We booked this vacation at the last minute and the residence inn was the only close hotel that popped up and I can see why after our visit. The conveience of staying closer and being able to walk a shorter distance without using the transit makes a big difference if you are in Anaheim to visit Disney. Again, I don't have anything bad to say about the hotel because I was hardly there. If you are a family similar to mine that wants to be in Disney often, I would strongly recommend staying at a hotel that is closer to the park. We will not be returning in the furture, we will choose a hotel closer to Disneyland. Hope this helps some of you in choosing a hotel.

1 Thank Greg275
Thank you for visiting us during your recent trip to Disneyland. We regret that you found the ART shuttle service to be inconvenient I will share your comments with the ART shuttle management team. Your perspective is greatly appreciated. If there is anything I can do to change your mind on staying with us in the future please feel free to contact me at 714-591-4015.
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was our second stay at the Residence Inn in Garden Grove and unfortunately for this trip we came with a sick child. The hotel staff was so understanding and allowed us to leave early without penalty - they were incredible (especially the night front desk person, Joe). The two bedroom suite is very spacious and great if you have a family (the second room allows the kids to have their own space) and the little touches (like cookies waiting for you in the room) just show how above and beyond the staff goes to make your time at the hotel extra special. The breakfast and dinner are also a huge plus as is having a full kitchen in your room. My kids also loved going down to the basketball court and playing around.
I will say that in the summer the hotel is packed and to no fault of the hotel, some guests just are totally inconsiderate of keeping the place clean and not screaming in the halls at 1 AM.
Regardless, it is the best place to stay when going to Disneyland!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room on a higher floor away from Harbor Blvd & away from the pool (otherw...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
FRankGM106, General Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for this review and your referral to other families visiting Disneyland. We're glad you and your family had a good stay. I absolutely agree with you; we do have a great staff and we are fortunate to have each and every one of them. I will be sure to share your feedback with our staff. I hope to have you back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Anaheim Marriott Suites
Anaheim Marriott Suites
#5 of 19 in Garden Grove
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,708 reviews

Been to Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove? Share your experiences!