“Wonderful place to stay”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
San Jose, CA
“Wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed August 22, 2005

My family of 6 (2 teens, 2 kids, husband and self) stayed at this hotel on the weekend of August 19- 21, 2005. From the moment we arrived we were treated very well. Check in was all of 5 minutes and this was on a Friday afternoon (2pm). We were given a room on the 7th floor. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable. We had two TV's, nobody fought over what to watch. We slept two to a bed and the beds were very cozy. We all had a good night's rest. Even my teens who slept on the sofa bed had a great rest.

My two teens used the gym. They liked it. Always a workout machine available.

The bathroom was great. Very spacious. Well stocked with Neutrogena toiletries. Plenty of towels. Shower worked well. No water pressure problems.

The living room had a chair, sofabed and a large table with 4 chairs. It was very convenient and nice. Room also had a small kitchenette/bar area stocked with glasses, ice bucket & coffee, microwave, refrigerator and sink. On the first day of arrival we were given complimentary bottled water and Pepperidge Farm cookies.

My family had plenty of room to move around in. It's easy to get on each other's nerves after a long day at Disneyland, but we all had our own space. Spacious suites. The staff was very friendly and accomodating.

The Breakfast Buffet was terrific. The omelletes were delicious. You can even order an egg white omellete if you are watching your cholesterol. The omellete cook was quick and happily prepared everyones omelletes. They also offered fluffy scrambled eggs, potatoes, french toast, pancakes, sausages, bacon, bagels, pastries, cereals, fruits, hot chocolate and a delicious French Vanilla Cappuccino. The breakfast is very filling and best of all its included in the price of the stay, which saved our family of 6 $$$. It was one meal less that we had to purchase. The lines moved well. We always ate before 8:30 am. Also, the buffet was always well stocked.

My husband ordered room service once, (chicken wings) and they were crispy and tasty.

Overall this was a great stay. We will definitely stay here again. This hotel is beautiful, clean and has friendly staff. We had no problems with the elevators. They had 4 elevators and we never waited more than a couple of minutes for an elevator. My only quibble was that the cashier at the hotel gift shop was grouchy. My teen daughters complained that they were scolded for picking up a magazine. They were reading the cover and contemplating if they were going to purchase it. My husband brought this to her attention.

If you stay at this hotel you will have a wonderful time. It is clean, functional and beautiful. The value can't be beat.

7 Thank enchantingbrunette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
West Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2005

We stayed there during the first week of Aug. The hotel was packed, at the desk they informed they were full. The staff did a excellent job of taking care of the customers. They kept the hotel clean and if you needed any additional items they sent it to your room quickly. The breakfest was good and quick, the buffet line was kept stocked with all the items. The mng receiption was handled quickly, they have three bartenders working instead of one like at most Embassy Suites. There internet service was fast and I was on the 12th floor. The swimming area was clean and they keep te pool area open to about 11:30pm for everybody coming back from the park. The whirl pool was great after walking in Disney all day.
There was enough room for my family of 4. We where not walking over each other even with the new lay out of the rooms. If I'm back in the area I will use the hotel again.

3 Thank Doctx
Dallas, North Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2005

My family and I stayed here a few weeks ago (Aug 1 -6) 2005. The rooms were quite clean and spacious. I think the time that we went was a bit busy though. We had to wait about 10 minutes just to check in. Our first stay, one of the family members had stopped up the toilet and when I called front desk, they send someone right away. It seems as if they came the moment I hung up the phone (smile). The food was great! They served sausage, eggs, French toast, potatoes, and all the other things you get like bagels, fruit, pastries, coffee, even cappunchio (spelled wrong) but I didn't try that. It's best to go to breakfast early!!!! It can be quite crowed. Breakfast if from 6am to 10:30?? I think. Very scenic. We were able to sit near the waterfalls. The maids clean the room well and when I asked for extra towels, I got them. Some of them don't speak English though. My husband know a little and could the maid what I needed. You know one day I just thought about getting extra towels and a maid came to my door with towels (no kidding!!!!). They have a nice size pool to me, although I don't swim.

Now the downside,

The hotel is an atrium which means if you are sleeping on the soft bed in the living room, you will hear everything. The kids running around, & people knocking on the door. I slept in the room so it isn't bad there. The elevators are extremely slow. Especially when it's meal time. One of them broke down but they got it fix pretty quick. Every evening they serve snacks. Popcorn and your drinks. Pizza if you buy it. Watch the little kids though. Parents don't seem to watch their kids and one kid had his hands all in the popcorn. He was trying to pour popcorn in his paper bowl and eat it at the same time.

Hope this review helps.

4 Thank Deeishere
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 10, 2005

We stayed here from August 1st through the 6th. We were on the 5th floor. The hotel is pretty, has a safe feeling, staff is very friendly from housekeeping to the front desk, rooms are nice, big and clean, great to have a door to close so you can get dressed and ready in private. It was myself (a 40 year old mom), two teenagers and a 10 year old. There was plenty of room for all of us, and it was very comfortable. The two T.V.'s worked really well. I slept well in the double bed and didn't find it too hard myself. My ten year old slept well in the other bed. I'm not sure why Embassy Suites doesn't have queen beds to offer like many other hotels and motels. If my husband had gone with us on the trip it would have been more uncomfortable to sleep in a double bed with two people. Like most people, we are just used to a bigger bed at home. Double beds are quite small.

The teenage girls slept in the sofa bed room, one on the sofa bed and one on an Aerobed I brought, and they slept well also. They said they could not hear noise from the atrium and weren't woken up as other reviewers have mentioned. I always tried to fill the Aerobed in the afternoon if we were there, but a couple of nights we got back late and had to fill it then. Though it's really not that loud and only lasts sixty seconds to fill, I always wondered if any neighbors next door could hear it at all--sorry if you could. We didn't hear any noise from either side of us during the day or night, so either no one was there, they were really quiet (or sleeping), or the walls are well sound proofed. I barely heard people taking showers like you can in other hotels.

Showers always had good water pressure and hot water. We took showers at different times and no problems there.

Oh, yes, and the elevators are slow during peak times. This wasn't a huge deal, but definately true as noted on other reviews. We noticed the biggest crowds by the elevator and at breakfast on the Saturday we were checking out.

The breakfast buffet was good and convenient. Really filled us up. We were always down there at least by 7:30 and the lines moved well. We didn't make it one morning 'till 8:30 or 9:00, and it was very busy, but still, the lines moved ok. I recommend going as early as you can. They stop serving at 9:30.

Sometimes the shuttles were pretty full during peak times (we stayed during a busy time) and once they sent an overflow shuttle that took us to two more hotels not on the route and filled that bus--including people standing on the bus. The shuttle for Embassy Suites shares with Hilton Garden Inn, and Hampton Inn (I think), but it's usually a direct route. They are on the K route. Having said all that, the shuttles really did work pretty well. They come every twenty minutes; pick up right outside hotel. Get your ART passes at the colorful red kiosk outside hotel -- to your left after exiting the hotel; you can't miss it. I do see a bit of a benefit of staying at a closer hotel and walking. We've done that too. Taking a shuttle wasn't too bad either though.

The one major complaint I would have, and it won't be a problem for everyone, is that they have one washer and one dryer on floors 3, 6, and 9. I just needed to do one small load of clothes one morning at 10:00 or so, and was able to use floor 6's washer -- this is the laundry floor for floor 5 -- but then I was running around up and down the elevator and stairs with my wet clothes looking for a dryer because a woman from another floor had to come up and use floor 5's dryer because someone left their clothes in floor 3's dryer...(yea, whew)...we were talking about how we couldn't believe there were so few washers and dryers in a hotel of this caliber, especially with this many rooms. She had stayed at another Embassy Suites with a lot more washers and dryers. I saw other people with bags of clothes on the different floors looking for washers and dryers too... Finally, after running around for a half hour with my wet clothes, I took the clothes out of floor three's dryer and put them on top of the dryer in a neat pile. I really didn't want to do this, but their clothes sat in that dryer for I believe over 30 minutes, and they just weren't coming to take them out. I wasn't really angry, I just needed to dry my clothes. The washers and dryers run on 30 minute cycles, so if you do have have to do laundry, be mindful of this since there are so few of them. Better yet, plan so you don't have to do laundry! I took turns with my kids waiting -- with walkie talkies in hand -- for my clothes to be dried so we could take them right out. There was a washer running that would need our dryer. We were also trying to get to Disney, and this slowed us down quite a bit. Also, there are no machines that sell laundry soap or dryer sheets on these floors. You have to go to the giftshop.

I would stay here again, I would just make sure I wouldn't have to do laundry. We had more good experiences than bad. I would still recommend this hotel. Book early for lower prices. All in all, a pretty good deal for the big rooms, pleasant surroundings, and breakfast.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
South Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2005

Our family of four stayed here from July 31st to the 4th of August. It was crowded, as all of Anaheim is right now, but we did not feel overwhelmed while in the hotel. Yes, there is a wait for breakfast in the rush after 9am, but the hotel gives you times to avoid the crowds. Also, the elevators are crowded & slow, but it doesn't help when kids are in them without parents and push every floor button! The rooms are well kept, a bit on the "brown safari" theme, but clean and well serviced with linens, towels, cups, etc.

To sum up, for 129 per night, we were very satisified with the facilities, the staff are always seen cleaning and saying good morning, etc. I would recommend this hotel to families. The room is nice since it is a suite with two rooms.

5 Thank mcgon4
Seattle, WA
Reviewed July 28, 2005

This hotel is a nice place for families. But don't be confused, it is not a luxury hotel or resort by any stretch of the imagination. In my opinion it is barely 3 star. It also can be quite pricey. I paid $150 per night for two people - those aren't low rates in Anaheim. Having stayed in many Anaheim properties, including the Disney-owned ones, I definitely prefer Marriott or Starwood properties over Hilton (which owns Embassy Suites, Doubletree, etc.)

The beds were classic "old hotel" style meaning they were hard. Embassy has adopted none of the new standards pioneered by Marriott and Starwood (much more comfortable and higher quality beds, high quality sheets and bedding, use of white to imply cleanliness, etc.) Given the clear standards of their competitors (particularly Marriott), Embassy/Hilton seems to be embracing the cheap route.

In general, while quiet, I found the rooms to be dark and filled with furniture I'd expect to see on sale at Walmart. One of our remote controls didn't work and the air vent in the bathroom never worked. Housekeeping was basic. Such things like trays brought up from breakfast were simply left by housekeeping in the hallway outside of our room (in one case, for about a day and a half - another day and the food leftever would have begun to rot - trays of leftover food were left by housekeeping outside rooms throughout the hotel).

When the hotel is full, as it was when I was there, the elevators are a mess during peak times. There are apparently no service elevators so you'll find laundry carts in the undersized elevators with you. During peak periods a wait of up to 15 minutes is possible for an elevator - especally in the morning. Fifteen minutes might not sound like much, but believe me, it is when you are waiting for an elevator. While they look nice, the way the elevators are set up translates into a horrible design and is embarassingly inefficient for such a new property.

I may be in the minority, but I found the breakfast to be disappointing. The food quality was OK. I had never stayed at Embassy before, and really expected more. They advertise a "cooked to order breakfast" yet the only thing that was cooked to order was omelets or fried egg dishes, and even these items seemed to come out consistently burnt regardless of how you asked them to be prepared (that is, if the Chef even asked you). Plus, there was only one person preparing them, so the wait could be horrendous.

For a hotel trying to serve breakfast to a 1,000 people every morning, a single egg chef is not nearly enough. In contrast, the buffet found at most Courtyard Marriotts, while not free (usually about $10 per person), often offers far more than the Embassy Suites, including cooked to order waffles, french toast, poached eggs, and a MUCH better selection of fresh fruit (not to mention the more comfortable beds, better trained staff, and better housekeeping). Don't get me wrong, I know that in a place like this, a sit-down breakfast experience won't work because of the crowds, yet I think this hotel could learn a lot from how Marriott puts on a buffet.

On the other hand, the Manager's Reception was much better. If you want to get drunk for "free" on low quality (yet none the less, effective) mixed drinks, you can accompish that goal at the Embassy Suites - nightly. For some people, this benefit alone could justify the room rate. I saw plenty of inebriated parents towing kids around the hotel during this "happy" two hours. They have mocktails, as well.

The pool area is pathetic. Once again, there are two star hotels in Anaheim with vastly superior pool areas. It's clear that management/owners really cheaped out on several areas in building this hotel, and the pool (and elevators) are glaring examples. The pool is way too small and sits surrounded on three sides by the parking lot. The fourth side is a windowless wall. Very little landscaping. No creativity. No shade. Insufficient deck space. Little more than what you'd find at a Motel 6.

It can be hard to find parking when the hotel is full. That and I almost had to take a picture of some of the parking spaces, which seem as if they were designed for some kind of clown car. They are almost unbelievably tiny. Watch out for door dings. Thankfully they don't charge for parking.

To sum up: is this place horrible? Absolutely not. Just have the right expectations and you'll be fine. However, from reading these reviews on TripAdvisor I definetely feel that it is overrated.

For less than $100 per night, I'd stay here again if local Marriott brands are full. For more than that (and certainly for the $150 we paid for two people), I'd look elsewhere.

Stayed July 2005
5 Thank lighthouse206
CA
Reviewed July 20, 2005

We stayed here June 5-7 for our first trip to Disneyland. Having stayed at Embassy Suites properties before & travelling with a little one, we were quick to book this hotel. You can't beat the size of the rooms, the buffet breakfast and the nightly cocktail reception. The rooms were clean, the food was plentiful, parking was free and the employees were very friendly.

The shuttle to Disneyland ran every 10 minutes and had plenty of room on it throughout the day (we made several trips for "nap time").

As the other reviewers have pointed out, the elevators are slow but we had a room on the 2nd floor and just walked. The only other thing I would point out is that if you have an atrium view, be aware of the noise from the waterfalls (especially if you're a light sleeper).

Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2005
Wyndham Anaheim Garden Grove
#1 of 19 in Garden Grove
Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim North
Hyatt Place at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South? Share your experiences!