“Best Disney Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I looked aroung A LOT for different hotels but we always come back to the Embassy. We took a family vacation to Disneyland for three days with a 2 year old and a 1 year old. Our major concern with this hotel was that it is not walking distance. You need to take the ART which I think is about $4 per person or drive. The hotel charges $6 for parking at the hotel.

With the little kids we wanted a suite so when the kids nap we have somewhere to watch TV and hand out. The Embassy has free drinks and popcorn from 5:30 - 7:30pm and $2 pizza everynight. This helped keep the costs down when it came to food.

The suite was a very good size and also came with a microwave. Plenty of room for the kids to run around but not have to trip on them. The made to order breakfast was also great. We were able to start out the morning fed with out paying an arm and a leg.

Reviewed July 23, 2009

Embassy Suites Anaheim South
This review describes our experiences for a 5-night stay at Embassy Suites Anaheim South from July 6 through July 10 2009.

Front Desk/Check-In
This area can be a bit of a log-jam as families typically congregate with their luggage in the entry way to the hotel. Our check-in experience was fast (we arrived about 10:00 pm) and we were placed in a “theme park view” room on the 9th floor (of 14 I believe). We were told we could see fireworks from Disneyland from that vantage point. That was a nice consideration, even though we knew we wouldn’t be in the room on any of the days at fireworks time. It turns out my wife did not like the airiness of the atrium and the height of our room (9th floor) something akin to a fear of heights. So we promptly returned to the front desk and asked for a room as close to the bottom floor as possible and they quickly changed us to an identical room on the 2nd floor.

One night we returned from the Disney parks late (past 12:00 am) and there was no one at the front desk and there was someone waiting to be helped. Security went into the back to find a front desk person, and it didn’t appear that this person had to wait long.

Common Areas
I didn’t personally experience many of the amenities that the hotel offers (pool, exercise room, arcade, etc.), so I wont speak to that. The atrium is unavoidable, however, and includes a koi pond, a large stone mountain-like structure with a waterfall and an animatronic lion that rears its head up and roars on occasion. Its classy, and the height of the hotel frames the atrium nicely.

I tried the free breakfast, but I didn’t have a made-to-order omelet. Apparently that was a mistake, because the bacon, sausage, and pancakes I had were like low-end buffet quality. I’m glad it was free – if I had to pay for it, I would have been upset.

Room

Cleanliness
Perhaps the most important quality of a room is its cleanliness; this room was spotless everyday we were there. We had the pleasure of meeting our housekeeper – more on that in a second.

Comfort/Quietness/Light Control
Each room has an individual thermostat, a most welcome plus to cool down after a long hot day at the park. The inverse would be true as well – some heat after a long cold day is great to return to. Also extremely high on my needs list is quietness. I didn’t hear anything from any adjacent rooms. Could have been that I was dog-tired, the adjacent rooms could have been empty, could have been superior acoustic treatment, or I could have just really got lucky and had nice neighbors. And for the vampires, the drapes were more than enough to block out any unwanted light, as well.

Front Room
Interestingly, both the front room and rear room feature TVs of the old CRT style. I thought everyone had LCD or Plasma. Guess not. In any case, there was a hideaway bed love-seat and an easy chair with a coffee table, a few lamps and a dining room set in the front room. All of which was pretty decent quality. There was an extra kitchenette sink, minifridge, and coffee maker. I don’t recall a microwave.

Back Room
Back room features two full-size beds, lamps, and a armoire that had the iron, iron table, and an extra thermal blanket.

Bathroom
The bathroom was fully stocked, clean, and came with all your standard accoutrements. It featured all tile floors and countertops. Hot water and cold water was readily available, but you really had to twist the knob to make the water quite dripping. Only real gripe is that I prefer to have the toilet separate from the rest of the bathroom so that multiple people can be in the bathroom at the same time to save time.

Housekeeping/Staff
We left a small tip daily for our very gracious housekeeper. The first day the tip was not taken – our housekeeper was unsure whether it was hers or not and left it alone. When we met the housekeeper the next day, we made sure that we pointed out the daily tip was for her and to take it. (Historical Note: I learned that tipping housekeeping was customary the hard way – we got burglarized by housekeeping at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel – probably for not tipping).

Exterior
The building and its grounds are well kept, however…
It shares a communal parking lot with two other hotels, and you may be forced to park in a less than appealing part of the lot. Speaking of which, there was broken automobile glass on the ground in the parking lot. I can only guess that meant someone got their car burglarized. Finally, there is an abandoned driving range behind the hotel in disrepair.

Location
In my opinion, the location is too far to walk to the Disney parks. There is convenient front-door service from Anaheim Resort Transit, and front desk sells the tickets. But in our case, we weighed the cost of ART vs. the price to park at Disney and decided that driving would be a better choice. Judging by the empty early-morning parking lot, I wasn’t alone in that estimation.

Price/Value
I didn’t pay for the room – I used Hilton Honors points for the stay, but seeing the price (around $120 I think), I would say that it is a very reasonable price given that the room is very clean and comfortable. I would stay there again (although my next stay will be on Disney property) and would recommend this hotel to families that are willing to spend a few dollars more on a hotel and don’t mind driving or riding ART to get to the parks.

1  Thank UNLV_RUNNIN_REBELS
Reviewed July 15, 2009

This was our second stay at this hotel and we were equally impressed this time as we had been the first time. The staff are friendly, efficient and cheerful and no request is ignored or delayed - we requested additional bedding for our room and it arrived within minutes with extra pillows and towels as well. The rooms are spacious and clean, linens are crisp and fresh and the beds are comfortable. As expected in early July, the hotel was very busy but I was never awoken or kept awake by noise and I am a light sleeper - the rooms appear to be fairly noise-resistant.
The breakfast experience can take some getting used to as it is very busy but the omelet chef is a pleasure to watch and be served by - he can cook 10 different omelets and still smile and joke with people - people tended to give him a dollar tip per omelet. The breakfast supplies never ran out, even at the end of the breakfast period, and the variety was excellent. Every day there was sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, pancakes, toast, 4 different cereals plus hot oatmeal, made-to-order omelets, fresh fruit, muffins, donuts, hash browns, french toast, bagels and lots of coffee and other drinks. The line-ups can be long and it can be difficult to find a table sometimes but overall, pretty efficient and a pleasant experience in relaxing surroundings.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone with teenagers or small children - the pool and hot tub are clean and well maintained, the fitness center is small but well equipped (age 16+ only) and the business center computers work well. Parking is ample and there is a shuttle that runs to Disneyland every 20 minutes for a small fee.

Reviewed July 13, 2009

we arrived here after the hyatt didn't give us our suite that was booked over a month in advance. we had no reservation here, but when we told them of our nightmare with hyatt, they went above and beyond. the staff was so friendly and helpful. anytime we called downstairs for anything, they saw to our needs within minutes. at one point they called our room to see if our food had arrived, and if we were enjoying it. make sure that you take advantage of the free breakfast..i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw it. all of the room service room was amazing. we were there for a wedding, and the bellboy who carried our luggage the day before inquired as to how the wedding was when we checked out. it was completely comfortable there, other than the room being a bit small for the amount of people we had in the room...but considering that we were lucky to even get a room w/o a reservation on a weekend i can't complain. would stay here again, and would recommend to anyone. the lobby is beautiful and staff friendly.

Reviewed June 30, 2009

We have just returned from a 4-night stay at the Embassy Suites South in Garden Grove. I have nothing but positive things to say about this hotel.

The room was spacious enough for our family of 6 with 2 double beds and a pull out sofa bed in the living area. There is a mini fridge and sink along with a small table and chairs for either dining or filling out the postcards to send back home. The bathroom was large with the usual complimentary toiletries provided. (don't believe everything you hear about hotels cutting back on the free stuff)

The free breakfast is simply AMAZING, especially when traveling with children. There's an omelet station as well as scrambled eggs, sausage links, bacon, french toast sticks, pancakes, toast, bagels, muffins, doughnuts... Beverages included sodas, coffee, milk and juices. Also icluded is the daily Manager's Reception with complimentary drinks (try the margarita!), sodas for the kids and snacks such as popcorn and chex/trail mix type munchie. Pizza can also be purchased for $2.

We found a parking space every night after returning from Disneyland. There is a $6 per night charge for parking which is not too bad I think, considering the free breakfast and snacks.

Although not within walking distance of the Disneyland resort, it is only a quick 3 minute drive to the Mickey and Friends parking garage. (great set-up there as well. In and out VERY quickly after 16-hour days in the park!)

Overall we highly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would definitely stay again should we travel to the Anaheim area in the future.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2009

At first I was bummed out because I missed the deadline to book a room at the disney hotel but in the end everything worked out. This hotel exceeded my expectations. Rooms were clean and well kept. Furniture and carpet seem new and well kept. Pool was fantastic. The kids had a great time in the pool and by the ponds, especially because of the lion. :) My husband and sister were pleased with the generous breakfast and breakfast options. The hotel service was excellent! Me and my family used the hotel shuttle to get to Disneyland and even the shuttle driver was pleasant. The bed and pillows were super comfy and clean. I really got a chance to relax and my kids got a chance to explore and have fun in the pool and in the rooms. In overall, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We had a wonderful time here. My 6 yr old dd loved seeing "Leo" the lion roar and the fish in the stream. The breakfast was wonderful! There were soda, booze and snacks early evening for free. Pizza for 2.00 a slice then too. The rooms were clean and quite. DD got up in the morning and watched tv while we slept undisturbed. I wish we could stay here everytime. My only small fault is that it has a very mediocre pool and spa. I wish that area was spruced up a little and the spa cleaned more.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Hilton Anaheim
Hilton Anaheim
#47 of 118 in Anaheim
Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South? Share your experiences!