“A lot to say about this hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have mixed reviews about this hotel, both good and not so good. The manager's reception is very good for drinks not so good for the basic snacks that are available. The margarita's are very nice and too easy to drink! The breakfast is for me so so, there is a tonne of choice, from eggs to cereal. For me the pancakes and french toast were too sweaty and dried out too quickly to enjoy. There was no powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar for the french toast. The range of fresh fruit was awesome. The doughnuts were too claggy for my liking. As we were visiting from the UK, forget getting a decent cup of tea, there is none. Only choice is Lipton, which does not make nice tea at all. I think that it would be great if the hotel looked into this for us UK visitors. The hotel could do with the refurbishment as due to the high volume of traffic much of the fabric seats are thread bearing. Dependent on which Chambermaid you got, depended on the level of housekeeping, you received. The hotel was well served by the OCTA and ART buses, so you could get to downtown Los Angeles, Newport and Huntingdon Beach for as little as $3.00 round trip. The hotel is well situated to all the bus stops you need and close to several good restaurants. The pool is small and the jacuzzi has way too many children diving yes diving and jumping into it, whilst there is no lifeguard here, it might be worth the hotel staff looking into just checking around the pool every 30 minutes or so before someone gets hurts really badly. This hotel only has three washing machines and dryers situated on floors, 3, 6 and 9. So beware of when you want to wash clothes as there was a point at which there were washer hoggers. The hotel sells you the laundry detergent and depends on who you get as some staff just gave out the detergent others charged a dollar. The hotel as sourced some great deals with the local restaurants so you can either get some free food or money off your order, so this is great. The hotel also sells you tickets for the bus that takes you to Disneyland for $4 for an adult and $1 for a child and you can do as many return trips as you like, but compare this to getting a 1 day or more on the OCTA for as little as $4 for a day pass and you can get to Disneyland, the shops and even downtown Los Angeles or even the beach for a lot less. I thought that both the hotel and Disney reception staff should be more aware of the local bus routes as this would have helped those people like us that preferred not to drive. The buses were punctual, clean and safe, the shuttle that took you to Disney was not as remotely clean, comfortable or nice as the OCTA and it stops right outside Disneyland. Getting back to the breakfast, there is an omelette station, which after tasting I wondered why people queued for this? The omelette consisted of the a beaten egg mixture being cooked with a few blanched ingredients thrown on top and then closed. When I asked for cheese, well it's no English cheese omelette I can tell you. As for the gift shop, virtually no one went in there, the woman was hostile with a notice of "you break it you pay for it" hardly welcoming considering she probably has insurance for all her stuff. We moved rooms three times, due to the the rooms being freezing cold. In one of the rooms the guy came to fix the air-conditioning, said he was going to come back with a part, knocked on the door and before I could get to the door he let himself in!!! I was not impressed. Another time the blanket I had smelt like a tramp had died in it and the horrid Chambermaid gave me an even dirtier blanket which did not smell but had food on it!!!!! I took a picture of it. I complained to the front desk and got a brand new one. The rooms that you see in the professional photo's are not the ones that you get, so don't be fooled. Having moved between three rooms we got none of them. We even got a Disneyland facing room and it does not look like the photo. I have to say that the majority of the front desk staff were great other's well, best not to mention them really, let's just say customer service is not their calling. Allain, Emad and Paul were particularly helpful as were a few of the other female staffs sorry I can't remember their names, but they were cool. The young girl at the Disney stand with dark wavy hair, so pointless. The guys in the blue short sleeve pinstripe suits were very helpful and unfortunately we did not get to see them to day goodbye on our last day. The good thing about this hotel is that they took ownership for any problems raised and resolved them. So that is a big plus on their part. They are a busy hotel with mostly families so it can be noisy at times, this is more due to the fact that your hotel door faces into the atrium and it echoes. If I could improve the hotel, this is what I would do, make the pool bigger and keep the young kids out of the hot tub, increase the laundry facilities and allow you to dry your hair in the bedroom and not the toilet, it's horrible!!!! Install waffle makers and remove the pancakes and french toast, bring in real tea bags, like Earl Grey or English breakfast and have Coffee-mate singles in French Vanilla flavour. Would we come back? Probably in a few years because the location is great, it's sort of the same as International Drive in Orlando, but just in Anaheim.

Room Tip: I guess the best thing is to ask for a room not next to the elevators as the pinging sound it makes...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sasha138
MichelleAugustine, Assistant to the General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for your candor about your recent stay with us. We will most certainly pass on your positive and negative observations to our department managers. We do indeed hope you do return to the hotel for any future stays in the Anaheim area.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South

Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

We almost always stay on Hilton propery when we travel. I would have to say this was our least favorite property so far. It wasn't bad, it was just ok. Rooms were clean, free breakfast was actually pretty good, kids enjoyed the pool area, etc.
The staff were not all that friendly, except for the 1st one I encountered at the bell desk. When we got to our room, we realized we had no shower curtain, no extra blankets for the pull out sofa sleeper either. So I called for those items while we went to Downtown Disney. The blanket they brought us had a hole in the middle of it large enough to fit my head through, so I called for another. The next day, our room never was cleaned (no, the do not disturb sign was not out). When it was done the next day, shampoo & conditioner was not replaced.

Thats all I can think of, other than the minor detail that the receipt that was put under my door on our check out day was not ours, so now somebody could have my address, etc.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Brandy516
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was so happy with our stay at the embassy suites south. The breakfast was wonderful and the managers reception was a nice surprise. The kids loved the fish, turtles and lion. It was a little far from Disneyland but it was worth it. We just needed to realize how long it took to wait for the bus, drive there and walk into the park. I would recommend the hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Spent a week at the Embassy Suites South Aneheim in early July.

Nice hotel about a 10 minute shuttle from Disneyland. If you are scared of heights this is not the hotel for you. The hallways are open air to the atrium below
and the elevators are full length glass. The atrium is neat with a long pond with coi fish and turtles.

We arrived on Independance Day and it was absolute madness in the hotel for
the few days following. You could hardly move in the eating area let alone find a table. After those first initial days everything was great.

We had the Family Suite room on the 12 floor which had a seperate bedroom with a king bed and a pull out sofa bed in the
living room. We had a mini fridge, microwave, table that sat four. There was a tv in the bedroom and living room. The room was spacious but nothing special.
The maid service was kind of lacking, some chip crumbs we spilled remained on the carpet for days on end and on two occasions we were slipped a note under the door
that our room would not be cleaned that day because we had not taken our Do Not Disurb sign off before 9:30

The free breakfast was very good. Cook to order items along with buffet style and fresh fruits, hot/cold cereals. Weekdays breakfast is over by 9:30 which to me (and many) is much too
early to end it. Weekends was later but i don't remember exact time. The room service food was amazing and very decent priced, large portions.

Happy hour daily from 5:30-7:30 was an added bonus which we fully took advantage of!

The pool was ok, not enough lounge chairs to go around. Pool looked murky as did the hot tub but
that is bound to happen with so many kids using it.

There is a small fitness room but it was full of kids when I looked in.

Overall it was a good experience and I would recommend this hotel to other familes.

Room Tip: Ask for the side that you can see Disneyland and watch the fireworks from your room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Moscato-Mama
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We just returned from Disneyland and staying here for 4 nights. The hotel was clean and quiet. THe food was fine, like always but they did lack hot chocolate mix which the kids love. A short drive to Disneyland and the hotel charges $12 per night to park,

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room away from elevators
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tanks55
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We spent two nights at Embassy Suites Anaheim-South. The room was very clean. The service we received upon checking in and checking out was excellent. Both the free breakfast and free cocktail hours were nice. Now, remember--you are at a hotel close to Disneyland which means there will be tons (and I mean tons!) of kids! The breakfast was what you'd expect from an Embassy Suites hotel and the cocktail hour was a bit better than most Embassy Suites hotels. (Maybe this is because people are at Disneyland during that time and/or a high percentage of the guests are underage?!) The hotel has a shuttle that transports you to and from Disneyland for $4 per day per person. The shuttle drivers were nice. If you're looking for a reasonably priced Disneyland hotel, this is your place!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

It is true that there are several option to stay in the Disney area, but honestly, Embassy Suites delivers quality and good service.
Have in mind that this is a family resort and that can be said of all the hotels in the area. If you go to Anaheim you know that Disneyland is family oriented and no doubt you are going to meet families.
Being said that I consider this hotel to be of a high quality. Check in and check out were easy and fast, and the staff attentive and customer oriented. The rooms are clean and well maintained. Housekeeping is prompt and efficient. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. The bed is really good, and don't be alarmed by other reviews about bed bugs. Found none.
Simple bathroom and good quality toiletries.
Wet bar that provides a coffee maker, small fridge and microwave.
A little noisey if you are given a room near the elevators, but is not that bothering. Anyway, no noise is perceptible from the bedroom, and I am very strict with that.
Elevators are really slow especially at breakfast time, but you have to understand that everybody wants to use them at the same hours and that requires to wait, and it was never beyond 5 minutes.
The view is not relevant in the area itself, unless you are expecting to watch the fireworks of Disney from your room, but everybody knows that that, means paying a higher rate, so don't expect paying a low rate and have a view of the fireworks.
Although I did not have a car, I agree with other reviewers about the small parking places in the parking lot, which I believe you have to pay separatedly from the room rate.
I did not like to pay a fee for internet use, though it is fast and did not give me any trouble.
Breakfast was superb, although the lines during peak times were long, but moved fastly and I did not have problems during my eight days stay in finding a free table.
Room service was very good and fast.
I did not join the manager's reception, but people seemed to have fun.
Shuttle bus to Disney was punctual and efficient but the bus has no aircon, and that, after a long day at the parks, can be annoying.
The hotel it is conveniently placed in an area where Target, Walgreens and several restaurants and fast food are within walking distance. OCTA buses also stop in front of the hotel, which is very convenient for people like me without a car, and just for four dollars you make use of your ticket during 24 hours and move around freely.
In general, being at the Embassy Suites Anaheim South was a good experience and after a day at the parks, a home away from home.

Room Tip: Dont forget to tip your housekeeper. It is a small way of acknowledging a work well done, and it wil...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Hilton Anaheim
Hilton Anaheim
#47 of 118 in Anaheim
Hyatt Place at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South? Share your experiences!