“Always a wonderful stay!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed November 29, 2010

If you'd like to read a detailed, pretty lengthy review by me of this Homewood, I posted one about our trip last May. You can click to it through my profile.

This stay was 10/25-28. We had tickets to the Halloween event at Disneyland and decided to make a mini-vacation out of it. We've stayed here many times and have always had a great time. It was completely renovated a few years ago, and now it's even better. The beds are so comfy that even my love for Disneyland is almost not enough to get me up and out the door to go downstairs and get breakfast for me and my daughter each morning. Every member of the staff is super-friendly and you'll be asked at least a dozen times a day if there's anything you need, by everyone from housekeeping to maintenance to management. If you do need anything, it's taken care of right away. Some of the reviews here with negative comments seem to be the result of stewing over small things that could have been looked after if the guest had just picked up the phone or gone down to the front desk and let someone know of a problem.

I haven't ever tried to figure out how much money the breakfast buffet and manager's reception have saved us, but I know it's a lot, and there are only two of us. I can only magine how much extra spending money goes to the fun stuff on vacations when those savings apply to a large family group! Having a full kitchen in the suite saves even more money and allows more variety or accommodation of allergies and other dietary restrictions, or plain pickiness. The fridge and freezer have always been properly cold for their uses, and allow easy and safe storage of extra groceries, snacks and leftovers. The two TVs are always appreciated, since my daughter and I have very different taste in programming.

The bathroom and vanity area is spacious and well lighted. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure every time we needed it, lots of extra towels, nice toiletries.

The beds are literally piled with fluffy pillows. I wish I had such a luxurious sleep environment at home! The blackout curtains keep out any bright morning light and help muffle outside noise. I believe the windows are dual-pane, but I'm not positive. All I know is that I had no problems and I'm an extremely light sleeper.

The hotel is so quiet, considering it's definitely a family-friendly property catering mainly to Disney vacationers (that isn't meant to discourage business travelers!). Even when it has been fully booked on our trips, we've never been bothered by any noise. Once you are in your suite, it feels so cozy and private you forget that there are hundreds of other guests all around. It's a lovely retreat before and after busy days at the Parks.

As others have mentioned, Target, Walgreen's, and Starbucks being close by is a plus. Heading north on Harbor, there are bunches of the usual fast food places. Not too far to walk, if you or the kids are in the mood for that. There are several restaurants in the same complex as the hotel. A grocery shopping service is also available free of charge - fill out the blank grocery list in your suite, leave it on the kitchen counter, and your groceries will be put away and waiting for you when you get "home". The cost of the groceries will be added to your bill at checkout. We've never stayed long enough to take advantage of that service, but for longer family stays I'm sure it's a life saver.

The one and only negative for me is the self-parking fee. I think $12.00 is pretty steep, but I also realize that those kinds of fees are set by Homewood's corporate office and not the individual property. Not many hotels in the Anaheim resort area offer free parking any more, but it used to be free here...back in ye auld days. :) Having said that, the incredible friendly service, personal attention, comfort, and amenities are worth a lot more than a charge for parking.

No review of Homewood Garden Grove would be complete without a HUGE tip of the hat to Joe Leineker and his amazing team. I'm starting to suspect that Joe is cloned several times over - he's everywhere - it's kind of spooky. ;) I've stayed at many properties through the years, and I can honestly say that I've never seen a general manager who is so visible and such a team player as he is; in fact, at most properties, I've never seen the general manager at all. I can't imagine this hotel without him!

We were planning to be back at Homewood for a holiday trip, but unfortunately the budget doesn't allow it this year. When I told my daughter we could still take a little vacation but would have to stay somewhere else less expensive, she said she'd rather skip it and wait to go on vacation when we can stay at the Homewood. :) If that isn't enough of an endorsement for anyone, I don't know what is!

• Stayed: October 2010
Homewoodgmjoe, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2010

Wow! We are thrilled that you continue to come back and see us on your trips to Disneyland. Thank you for the kind comments about our staff. We know that trips like these are special memories for families and we are happy that we can enhance your vacation. It is always great to see you here; hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2010

I am currently in the middle of an extended stay at the Homewood Suites with my family while our home is being repaired after some unexpected damage. This hotel definitely lives up to all of the excellent reviews! The rooms are fairly spacious - good-sized bedroom which, when you include the bathroom, is about the same size as your typical non-suite hotel room. There is a huge amount of closet space for a hotel room. The bedroom has two closets, one what I would call your typical bedroom closet with sliding mirror doors, the other almost a walk-in size. Perhaps it's overkill for a hotel room, but the abundance of closet space is very welcome for us considering we're on an extended stay and have a lot more of our belongings with us than we would if we were on vacation. The living rooms are not huge, but they contain a comfortable, L-shaped couch with pullout bed and a flat screen TV. It is plenty of space for my family of three to comfortably sit, watch TV, and take care of our normal day-to-day activities. I wouldn't want to spend hours on end in there with my family, but that's not what you would normally do in a hotel anyway.

The kitchens are small but functional. It's nice to have a full-sized fridge in a hotel - definitely a benefit. Being here on an extended stay, we can only handle so much restaurant food, so it's nice to be able to have an occasional "home cooked" meal. The only complaints I have about the kitchen are the lack of an oven, which limits us to cooking stovetop meals, and the dishwashers are very noisy. Not a big deal - we have learned to adjust our cooking habits (and we even brought a slow cooker from home to make life easier), and we learned to run the dishwasher just as we're leaving for the day so we don't have to listen to it.

The complimentary breakfast buffet is nice, and the options rotate on a daily basis. Three belgian waffle machines are always available. Lines for them sometimes get a little long, especially on weekends, so plan accordingly. Hot food options range from scrambled egges and bacon, ham, and biscuits and gravy. English muffins and bagels, fresh apples and bananas, yogurt, and mini-muffins are always available. Honestly it gets a little tiresome after awhile and we sometimes opt to skip it, but keep in mind my family has already been here for 3 weeks. We haven't inulged in the Monday-Thursday dinner buffets at all (again, trying to limit the amount of pre-prepared food we take in), but we do take advantage of the free beer and wine when we're eating in, plus we get a salad to go along with whatever we're cooking in the room (a nice addition to our meal and we don't have to worry about adding salad items to our grocery list). It's not fancy - lettuce, tomatoes, croutons, cucumbers, and dressing - but very functional. The prepared food looks fine for families who want to save a little money. Again, nothing to write home about, but perfectly presentable.

The biggest benefit of this hotel is the staff. Everyone has been extremely friendly and helpful, and has gone out of their way to get to know us during our extended stay. Someone always welcomes us back "home" when we get back in the evenings. My young daughter has begun talking about the front desk personnel on her way home in the evenings and wants to stop to talk to them before going up to the room.

If I were to make one constructive criticism, I'd say that sometimes the housekeeping staff lacks some attention to detail in servicing the rooms. Occasionally they forget to re-stock certain items such as detergent for the dishwahser, or fresh bars of soap. However, I understand that my family is in somewhat of an unusual situation because of our length of stay, so these are things that wouldn't be typical if we were only staying for a few days or a week. The front desk has always been overly accommodating when we request additional provisions as needed.

Overall, this hotel isn't fancy....we didn't expect it to be. If we want fancy we'll go stay in a higher end hotel with room service and a concierge and pay a higher price. It's a great value for the money, in a great location near Disneyland. I would most definitely recommend it either for business or for a family vacation.

1  Thank jandrfas

I think it's great that you took the time to post your feedback in the middle of your trip. We believe we are the perfect hotel for anyone visiting the area for more than a day or two as our amenities and space in the suite make an extended visit quite comfortable and affordable. I followed up with our Housekeeping Department about not getting all of your items re-stocked everyday and don't think this oversight will be made in the future. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed November 15, 2010

My family and I (a group of 11 of us ranging in age from 11 to 73) came to the Homewood Suites in Anaheim last week and it was an amazing experience. I'll break it down into the categories TripAdvisor has:

Cleanliness - very clean. Everyday there was room cleaning and even the pool area and public bathroom was extremely clean.

Location - perfect! Across from Target, Walgreens, directly beside a Starbucks, grocery store only a 5 minute walk (or $6 cab ride) and plenty of restaurants. The Anaheim Resort Transit was included in our package which picked us up within 1/2 a block from the entrance. The hotel has their own shuttle which is cheaper though! Its about a 5-10 minute ride depending on traffic but its a great location with lots around it!

Rooms - the rooms were nice and we had a family of 6 in one suite which accomodated nicely. Two burner stove top, microwave, dishwaher, full fridge/freezer, etc. Only disappointment there was no oven (we came back and ate our lunches at the hotel to save on costs). The beds were very comfortable. The only disappointment here was the duvet cover was made of "noisy" material that made noise if someone shifts in the night and the hide away bed in the couch was extremely uncomfortable. But I just slept on the couch which was just fine!

Service - I cannot say enough good things about the wonderful staff. They were incredibly helpful, pleasant and accomodating. At times I felt we were "high maintenance guests" but they never hesitated to help us call a cab, make reservations or even run to the pharmacy at night to get us some medication for our youngest member of our group. Also - the breakfast bar and managers reception staff were so accomodating, the area was extremely clean and they were always there to get my Grandpa (and me) peanut butter in the mornings (they don't keep it out in the area you have to request it due to allergies I assume). The manager made it a point to come speak to us and many others during the day to see how our stay was and he is a very personable and approachable individual.

Value - where else can you get a full hot breakfast buffet, coffee all day, a "light" meal 4x a week with unlimited beer and wine?? Not many places! Incredible value.

Sleep Quality - there was some noise from sirens at night but other than that we all slept very well!! And we come from a farm so to not be awoke from night noise in city is wonderful!

Additional Notes -
It was my grandparents 50th anniversary celebration while we were there so they gave us a room facing the Disneyland fireworks that were amazing! It was also my cousin's 16th birthday while we were there and the Manager sneakily (and unexpectedly) arranged for a personalized cake and a disney basket to be put in the room while we were gone for her to find when we got home! She was so shocked she had tears in her eyes. We had not requested this and just shows how committed to families and customer service they were. The managers reception and breakfast saved us thousands for the week we were there - considering there were 11 mouths to feed!! The managers reception for our week was - tacos, burgers, chicken teriyaki and meatballs! All with salad bar, dessert and unlimitted beer! I couldnt ask for a better place to stay. The pool was beautiful - in the sun most of the day, surrounded by palm trees, flowers and vegetation and was of good size. The hot tob was extremely relaxing after a hard day at the park!! We saw the pool to the hotel beside us (the marriott suites) and it had no sun and no plant life.

I rate it a 5 because of our incredible experience but I do understand others did not have this experience from reading other reviews. It's going to be the same wherever you go that people are going to have opposite experiences. The only area I rated a 4 was sleep quality due to the pull out bed and noisy bedding. My cousin slept on a cot which she said was better than the pull out.

Thank you Homewood Suites and we will definately we recommending you and staying there for any future visits!!

2  Thank CanTravel7
Homewoodgmjoe, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

Wow, what a great review! I just read your review to my staff and everyone was excited that your grandparents and cousin enjoyed the special surprises we had for them. You have a great family and we were honored that you chose to spend such an important trip with us. Please tell everyone we said hello and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed for 9 days in November 2010 and were completely happy with the hotel. Our daughter loved the nice heated pool, which was comfortable also for parents. Room was spacious, in good shape, clean and we could not think of anything more we would have needed. Also the fitness room was better than we expected and we used it almost daily. The breakfast was good and the weekday night suppers were ok. The inexpensive shuttle to Disney was good service. We recommend warmly and will definitely stay in this hotel again if we come to Anaheim later.

1  Thank Kati74

Thank you for your recommendation and for taking the time to share your experience. We're happy your daughter enjoyed the heated pool as it is larger than most in the area and always a popular spot for the kids. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Southern California/Anaheim area.

Reviewed November 12, 2010

My new husband and I stayed here for 5 nights at the end of October.

Unlike most of the other guests, who were families, it was just the 2 of us. This trip was part of our honeymoon.

This hotel was just perfect for us.

Great location with a fantastic hotel shuttle service to Disneyland. ($3 per day). Shops directly across the road including a target, which sold water, milk, bread, toiletries and other useful things. Also, there are many restaurants in the same location, including outback steakhouse, oggies and a Starbucks.

The room was spacious. It had a separate small living area, with an L shaped couch and tv. The kitchen was very handy, including a full size fridge, microwave, stovetop etc.

The room was clean, and serviced very well each day.

Reception staff were helpful.

My husband liked the pool area and free beer between 5-7pm.

I enjoyed the free breakfast and free coffee all day in the lobby.

As for people complaining about the long wait for the elevator, there is a 2nd lift Towards the end of the hallway. If you use this one you will not have to wait, or squeeze in with lots of people.

Overall this is a great home away from home while you are doing the Disney parks.

Excellent value on a AAA rate at $125 per night!

Would stay again!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010
4  Thank cea2010

We're thrilled that you and your husband chose to stay with us as part of your honeymoon! Thank you for mentioning the back elevator as it does not get used nearly as much as the front elevator and can be much quicker. We hope you had a safe trip home and look forward to having you back as our guest soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2010

Great price, friendly staff, and excellent suites. They provided a nice breakfast and simple dinner in the evening which was very helpful to families traveling with children who wanted to keep costs down. Shuttle stop right outside lobby door running every 30 minutes to and from Disneyland.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Retiredtraveler45

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I appreciate the positive feedback and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

This was a wonderful hotel to stay in. Their service was amazing and anything we needed they made it happen for us. The rooms are a great size, clean and comfortable. Their bed was so comfortable...i wish i could have bright it home with me. Great location for Disneyland. they have a private shuttle that you can ride as often as needed, back and forth from the park. They best part about our stay was that we where their celebrating our boys birthdays and they paid extra special attention to them and put together a birthday basket full of goodies and prizes!! They where wonderful....we will be staying there every time from now on.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Hyatt Regency Orange County
Hyatt Regency Orange County
#3 of 19 in Garden Grove
Hampton Inn and Suites Los Angeles - Anaheim - Garden Grove

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area? Share your experiences!