“Your Best Stay in Anaheim”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed July 28, 2009

My wife, myself and my family have all stayed at the Homewood time and time again on trips to Disneyland. We have always found the Homewood to be very impressive.

Great rooms, very clean, great breakfast, great shuttle bus to disneyland, great price and great staff. Simply GREAT!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank theryguy23

Reviewed July 21, 2009

We stayed at the Homewood Suites from July 11-19. We traveled with 2 adults and 2 teenagers. I did a lot of research and saw that this was one of the highest rated hotels in the Anaheim area. The Homewood Suites did live up to it's expectations. We flew in and arrived mid day. Check in was fast and very easy. I was worried about the comments listed here regarding the slow elevators. Lucky us we were placed in the first floor! (I didn't even ask but was prepared to ask for a lower floor). This is very convenient to everything the hotel has to offer. Breakfast right around the corner, pool right there too. Parking right outside our window. Our room had two queen beds and a sofa bed in the living room. Rooms have a fridge, 2 burner stove, dishwasher, dishes and utensils. We had a car so we stocked up on bottled water and snacks to keep in our room. Disneyland is about a mile away. Driving up the back way took all of 5 minutes to get to the parking garage. Our room faced Chapman Blvd, so every night at 925pm we had a perfect view of the Disney fireworks show. I didn't ever hear any street noise, or parking noise. We were always getting in rather late from the parks though. The pool is great! Rather large, and has plenty of chairs and lounges around for everyone. Hotel cleaning staff kept our room sparkling clean. I was impressed as we were travelling with two 16 year olds that can be rather messy! Breakfast had something for everyone. It's a great time saver to be able to just have a quick bite to eat before heading to the parks. Even the pickiest of eaters found something they liked. It's about an hours drive to Universal (if you don't hit traffic, watch the departure time or you will sit for much longer!), 1 1/2 hours to SeaWorld. We were planning on staying at another Homewood Suites in the San Diego area for the last 2 nights, but chose to stay put in Anaheim and just drive down. All in all I didn't have any complaints. Hotel is comfortable and clean. That's all I am ever looking for. Free Wi-Fi as well, plus a business center that you can use for free to print off your boarding passes. This hotel is not walking distance to Disneyland but we saw the ART transit stop right out front. I give this hotel 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank MagicalVacation
Reviewed July 8, 2009

My husband and I and 3 young boys stayed here for 8 days and loved it. The service, cleanliness and staff were great. The free breakfast everyday was wonderful to have and we enjoyed the evening free wine and beer and food after a long day out. Our room was keep clean and linens always replenished. We loved the pool which had lots of seating areas and shade. The Outback, Joe's Crabshack and Red Robin are in the parking lot and Disneyland a few blocks away. A great deal for the money. We are highly recommending it to families.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We stayed here because of other reviews and hearing that it was renovated recently. Oh, and I'm a smoker and this hotel had smoking rooms. We were very comfortable in the hotel. Breakfast was nice, different each morning so that was good. We never made it for dinner but did enjoy a beer, which was free.
There were two negatives..1 - our shower was awful. No pressure and the shower heads (there were 2 because I think we were in the handicap room), were barely spitzing. The other negative was the sloooow elevator. We were on the 7th floor and usually would use the stairs because it was quicker.
Besides those two negatives the room was clean, comfortable and the kitchenette was a nice surprise.
Nice to have free internet in room.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2009

This is a very comfortable hotel with a few extra touches that make it a standout for us.
The suite we stayed in had a separate lounge room (with kitchenette) & bedroom. The business centre on the ground floor had 2 computers/printers. The swimming pool and spa were well set up and were great for the kids.
The breakfasts were very good with hot & cold food (including fruit) and the 'welcome home dinners' (Mon-Thurs) with drinks included were an added bonus. The staff were always friendly and helpful and they allowed us to store our baggage after check-out which meant we could spend our final day at Disneyland before flying home to Australia late that night.
The hotel isn't within walking distance of Disneyland (especially with kids) but is well served by a Disney shuttle as well as the local Anaheim bus service. As has been said by others, the hotel lift is slow but as we were on holidays we weren't ever in a hurry to get anywhere (except maybe to breakfast).
We spent our last 5 nights at the Homewood Suites and it was an excellent end to our US holiday.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Lesmira1960
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We stayed here straight from The Grand Californian so weren't expecting much after the service at the previous hotel but we were pleasantly surprised by the helpfulness of the staff and the comfort of the room.
We used breakfast every morning and dinner every night it was offered and every meal left us full (We are from Australia though so tend to eat smaller meals anyway) and it was helpful to have fruit and muffins available so we could take a few extra for snacks during the day.
The cleaning staff were all very friendly, taking the time each day to talk to my children and ask how they were, and did a very through job of cleaning each day,. We had 6 people (3 children, 3 adults) in a one bedroom suite so had a lot of stuff and each day the worked around it and went out of their way to make things nice for us.
I was disappointed by the $12 a day parking fee, it had not been told to me when I book so it did was a shock but the parking was close to the door and there was always plenty of spots.
The other downside was how slow the elevators were, the back elevator was preferable but made lots of clunking noises that made it seem like it was going to drop at any second and after visiting Cali Adventure and the Tower of Terror, that is not a feeling I want in an elevator! LOL
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel, it is in a great spot and all the staff did a great jkob of making us feel at home.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank JustMel80
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Basically, aside for one (rather major) but I suspect localized (aka: it's not going to be a problem to most people..) issue, this hotel could be hands down one of the best Extended Stay hotels I have stayed at- and I have stayed at many. The problem is that honestly, this place was my worst nightmare...and this was not due to anything the hotel could truly control, it was due to the type of guest that stays here, and their 100% sheer selfishness.

Basically, this review by a pleased customer sums it up perfectly: "We took our kids and their kids on vacation so with 13 of us I needed a good deal! We rented 3 spacious rooms that were nicely furnished, fully furnished kitchenettes, clean and located together so our grand kids could run back and forth to our rooms."

This is a nightmare for everyone else. Imagine...it is 10pm, you are NOT here to go to Disneyland (or even if you are..) you are in your room, either trying to get some work done, or relaxing quietly sipping some tea and reading a book. Suddenly, 13 people come in and stuff themselves into 3 rooms. All three rooms leave their doors open with the metal bar that comes as a security lock in most hotels. The children, screaming at the top of their lungs, run back and forth between the rooms, playing and wrestling in the hallway, letting the doors SLAM constantly against the metal doors that are propping the doors open, and then then go into a room, scream some more, the conversation of the adults seeping through your room as well as any TVs they have open or any cooking they are doing....this is Anaheim Main Gate Homewood stay. The very essence of it. Everyone rents too few rooms to save money, no one can decide in ONE ROOM to hang out in, so everyone leaves their doors open, slams their doors against the metal bars that they use to prop them open. By the way, starting at 8:00am through 4:00pm, the housekeeping service will ALSO do this, along with talking to each other at the top of their lungs in Mexican from one end of the hallway to another, and blasting Mariachi music on their boomboxes while cleaning rooms. You will also hear their walkie-talkies bursting in and out with random, unintelligible words being spoken, and be prepared to trip over yourself when trying to get out of your room because chances are they put one of their cleaning carts in front of YOUR room, and they'll look at you funny if you dare ask them to move it for you. They WILL NOT let you go in first when you are waiting for the elevator...basically, they do not realize that you are guests, and they are staff.

They will let people play, soaking wet and getting out of the pool, half naked (aka no shirts or shoes) in the lobby, or even in the business center. My mother was trying to do some research in the "business" center when some kids straight from the pool came in and started dripping all over her. Front desk said they had " no such policy against this".

There once was an intruder who climbed in through the pool wall (to do god knows what) armed with a gun, who was apprehended by police at around 4am (I was woken up by the screaming of the man as he got tackled to the ground and handcuffed), and about 15 squad cars stayed outside in the adjacent hotel's parking lot (right behind the pool) until morning. I called staff immediately to find out what was happening, and THEY DID NOT BELIEVE ME until they sent out a maintenance man to ascertain himself I wasn't crazy, at which point they never let me know what happened- as a guest, I think I had a right to know, and as staff, they SHOULD have made themselves aware of who the man was trespassing on their property. Although this was a one time occurrence that could happen anywhere, it still speaks of the (non-existent) security at this place.

The last thing I want to mention, which is what I mentioned at the beginning of my review, is that something in this hotel gave me a horrible skin disease. It cleared up when I left, and I was told I was not the first person this had happened to. The staff claims the other guests who had had similar problems, were allergic to the detergent being used to clean the towels. I started cleaning my own towels and didn't notice my skin improving, so I don't think that is what it was, but I will never know. If you want to risk your skin swelling up and then cracking, bleeding and scabbing off for weeks at a time, having some guy climb over the pool with a gun while the front desk doesn't believe you, and then having neighbors who are loud, disrespectful people who basically appropriate themselves the ENTIRE hotel and run around dripping wet, screaming, and acting as though they live in their own personal zoo, this hotel is for you. Wear some protective gear because if you bruise easily you will want to protect yourself...I cannot count how many times my mother and myself got literally SHOVED by little kids running through the common areas, with nothing but an expectant look from the parents (expecting an apology for existing while their kids are trying to RUN through the halls, which any educated parent would tell his child not to do anyway).

Basically, if you have any class whatsoever, you will not stand this place. The rooms are okay (barring the flesh-eating disease you might or might not contract here, I assume I'm still a minority), the location is okay, but if you are not looking to get disgusted into moving away from America altogether, may I suggest some place with a bit of a more educated clientele.

PS: The only two views you can choose are a busy street, or a pool which is busy from 8am to 10pm, sometimes by an ENTIRE water polo team trying to play, well, water polo, so if you are not bothered by heavy street noise...pick the street. That is, unless you want to hear "MARCO!!! POLO!!!" all damn day, every day, to the point where you want to tear your own hair out. The pool is absolutely unbearable, and I do not wish upon my greatest enemy spending a single day facing it.

Stayed: February 2009
Hyatt Regency Orange County
Hyatt Regency Orange County
#3 of 19 in Garden Grove
Hampton Inn and Suites Los Angeles - Anaheim - Garden Grove

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area? Share your experiences!