“Great place for families going to Disneyland”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
“Great place for families going to Disneyland”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Great place to stay while going to Disneyland. Fantastic staff. Using their shuttle service is a great way to spend more time at the park as opposed to driving, parking and walking to the gates. Going back to the hotel for the Manager's Reception is a great way to recharge before heading back out to the parks for the evening activities.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
I'm happy to read you had a great stay with us recently. With our nearby neighbor, Disneyland, our Managers' Evening Reception is a great amenity for guests who need a break from Disney during their stay. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to having you as our guests again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I once wrote a 5 star review on this hotel. We have stayed here 4 times over the past 5 years. This hotel has gone downhill fast. The rooms are worn and need some up dating. Our couch had a big rip in it, our door handle was falling off and wouldn't shut, we had issues with our air conditioner leaking all over the carpet into the closet area all over our suitcases. I brought the issue of the door up to the front desk and they fixed it. I also mentioned the air conditioner and how it had leaked on our bags. We left for the day and came back to a giant fan in our room. No mention if the problem was fixed or if they were working on it still. No compensation for getting all our stuff wet just a "we're sorry that happened". Really??!!
The food is about 2 stars. The potatoes and meat from the breakfast tastes like cardboard. Not sure what's happened but in previous stays it was always decent. The dinners were ok. Spaghetti is gross and tastes like it's from a can. Beer and wine was good (if it's cold) one night it was hot. Yuck.
We stayed here 5 nights and got service twice. I had to ask for it one day because we had gone to Disney and got back about 4 and the maid still had not come.
Sad that we had such a bad experience this time. We are hilton members and like I said this was our forth stay here and prob the last.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Jessica124
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
I am extremely saddened to read that your recent stay here, may be your last. I want to apologize for dropping the ball on many occassions during your stay here with us. I understand that the condition of the suite was poor, but rest assured, we are taking care of that matter right away. Because your recent stay with us was not a pleasant one, please feel free to contact myself at Ben.Ly2@hilton.com or by phone at (714)740-1800, so we can discuss what I can do to make it right, not only for you, but on our part as well.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This hotel is great if travelling with children. The full kitchen is ideal if you don't want to eat out all the time and the kids loved the pool. A separate bedroom is perfect for putting the kids to bed early while allowing adults to stay up later without bothering them. The breakfast buffet had lots of selection and the dinner 4 nights a week was an added bonus. The Disney shuttle was a good value as we made 2 round trips per day, but we had some trouble with overcrowding one day and bus maintenance another day. I would not consider the hotel to be walking distance to Disneyland if you have children, but it is located off the main streets a bit so it's quieter than some. Parking is an extra cost which I don't love but I got a reduced rate since I was staying for 8 nights. Good thing because the parking can get crowded at times.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Glad to hear you had a great stay with us! We feel we are the perfect hotel for families traveling to the Disney area. With our Suite Start Breakfast every morning, and our Managers' Evening Reception, we understand that planning a trip to Disneyland may have high costs, so we're glad you were able to join us. Whenever you plan on visiting the Disney area, please stop by and say Hi!
CA
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed at the Homewood Suites for 4 nights in Mid-march. The hotel was fully booked, with lots of families and kids due to Disneyland nearby and many kids on Spring Break. Even though my HHonors profile requests a room on a high floor, our room was on the first floor, but not a big deal. The room itself was very clean, and also quiet (which surprise me given hop packed the hotel was). Both the beds and the couch were very comfortable. These are true suites, you get a small living area, and a small kitchen, in addition to the separate bedroom. The kitchen has a full sized fridge, a microwave, coffee maker, plates and utensils, some pots/pans, etc.
Breakfast is included, but it gets very crowded, and is hit and miss on it's mediocrity. They do not have a true restaurant kitchen. so everything is pre-made and reheated. But for free, it's a decent breakfast with lots of options (Bagels, make your own waffles, some kind of egg dish, a breakfast meat, cereals, etc.). They do have an evening reception Mon-Thursday, with free beer/wine, and plenty of free OK pre-made food. If you are trying to save money, you can use this as dinner, its all you can eat.
They charge $12 per night for parking, which I consider a rip-off. Complimentary Newspapers are available in the lobby, but they do not deliver them to the rooms(even for HHonors members)
I did have a couple issues with housekeeping. On the 2nd day, we came back from Disneyland after 5pm for a break, and they had still not serviced our room. It wasn't until 6pm when we got a knock on the door from our maid, so we just swapped for clean towels. In addition, when we checked out, we accidentally left behind some stuff in our bathroom (a couple razors, an electric toothbrush, contact lenses, etc.), and even though I called the next day, it seems like it was all just thrown out. I realize it's our stupidity for leaving some things behind, but you would think if a maid found all of that, she'd note the room, and give it to the Front Desk so we could arrange to get it back.
The location is very good. Several good restaurants are within 100 yards in the same parking lot: Outback Steakhouse, Red Robin, Joe's Crabshack, and Oggi's brewhouse. Oggi's delivers for free to the hotel, and the Front Desk has coupons for Oggi's and Joe's. There is a Target right across the street on Harbor Blvd, which was very convenient.
They offer a Shuttle bus to Disneyland, we bought a 3 day pass for $12 each. We found this incredibly convenient, only takes 10-15 minutes between the hotel and Disneyland, and it's a direct shuttle.
The pool is heated and clean. The Front Desk personnel are very friendly and welcoming.
Overall, this is a good place for stay for families, but nothing special. I've stayed at the Embassy Suites just up the street, and I preferred that for it's slightly larger rooms, and better breakfast. But I would have no problem staying here again if the Embassy Suites was booked up (which it was).

2 Thank Henneman
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we do appreciate your patronage. We're glad that you enjoyed yourself amongst all of the children on spring break, as you mentioned, which you're completely correct. We were at capacity, especially during breakfast hours, but glad to see you were able to join us for that and our Managers' Evening Reception. Also, we're happy that you were able to take our Disney shuttle, which we feel, is a great amenity to all of our guests visiting our friendly neighbor, Disneyland. Whenever you're in town again, please stop by and say Hi, and hopefully, it'll be an even better stay!
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Nice stay. Free breakfast and Mon-Thurs Dinner saves a lot of money for family Disney Trip. Shuttle every 30 minutes to Disney (reasonable rate) was convenient and cheaper than driving and parking at Disney Lot. Only complaint would be that this is NOT a non-smoking facility. First thing you notice in the rooms is the lack of freshness.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Glad to hear that your recent stay with us was a nice one! From our Suite Start Breakfast every morning, to our Managers' Evening Reception, it looks like you were able to join us for both. Also, I'm glad to read that our Disney shuttle was accomodating to your needs as well. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us, it was our pleasure having you as our guests.
Valencia, California, United States
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

From the time we walked into this hotel, the signs of a bad stay were right in front of us...

We arrived at the property shortly after noon, and check-in time is 4pm. Having said that, we asked at the desk if our room was ready. Once the young lady (Kaitlyn?) behind the counter deigned to break away from the multiple phone calls she was taking, she was very abrupt and borderline rude. Our room wasn't ready, so we should go shopping. She did offer to store our baggage, though...

Once we came back from lunch, someone else (Luis?) was at the desk, and after being told again our room wasn't ready, he gave us an internet upgrade for our trouble, and made a point of checking on our room with housekeeping. Once it was done, he was very quick with the actual check-in procedures.

Once we got to our room, our air conditioner wasn't working. I attempted to adjust the thermostat, but since I don't have an engineering PhD, I wasn't able to figure it out. So, we called the desk and waited for someone to come up and show us what we were doing wrong. And waited, and waited...about 30 minutes later, Luis(?) from the front desk called to follow up and make sure we were taken care of. When we told him we were not, he apologized, and promised to get someone up to us. Moments later, a key went into the door, the door opened, then a maintenance man knocked and walked in. I'll say that again: HE OPENED THE DOOR BEFORE HE KNOCKED!!! Absolutely inappropriate!!!

He did adjust the thermostat, which was on some odd setting that only served to confuse me, and waited to see if the temperature would go down before he left. While he was there, another maintenance man came in, this time by knocking and waiting for entrance. His name was Michael M., and he was very nice.

So, we made it through the rest of the day without issue, and even had a nice gesture from the desk clerk. We had bought shuttle tickets, and he suggested that we charge them to the room, as we'd collect Hilton Points for the purchase, which is something no one else has suggested to us at any of our other Hilton stays.

We noticed the first night that the walls are razor thin, as every cough, sneeze and other noise from the room next to us was clearly audible to us, even over the TV.

We had paid for the room using points, so they had to check us out and right back in the next day. Which was fine, except our room keys were deactivated, so my girlfriend had to carry all of her packages back down to the lobby to get her key recharged after she came back from the park early on her own. A small thing, but when you're tired and annoyed by the crowds, it's not a fun thing to deal with.

When I returned to the room myself, I had already been warned about the key, so I didn't have that problem. I turned on the TV, and the only channel that had sound was the Disney propaganda channel every hotel in town has. It eventually fixed itself, so no harm no foul...

Friday morning, and we go to check out. My girlfriend goes down to ask about our final invoice, as the numbers on that were very, very different from the numbers my credit card was showing. We were overcharged for the room, and had a huge additional charge showing. She was told (by Kaitlyn) that the additional charges were, and I quote: "for incidentals, and in case something is broken or stolen."

With one sentence, she pretty much accused us of being redneck room thrashers and thieves. This is not the Four Seasons. There's no room service, so no need for a massive incidental charge. When we pointed that out, the response was, and again, I quote: "well, it's in case you take something from the market shop and don't tell us."

At that point, she walked away and came back upstairs. We left a short time later, dodging multiple housekeeping carts along the wall on both sides, and will never go back to that hotel. It's a shame, because it's very centrally located to some great restaurants, and the actual cost of the room per day is not at all bad...but the overall experience was so bad that we'll never subject ourselves to it again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eric C
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, as we use your feedback as a very important guest service tool. It appears that we have dropped the ball on many occassions during your stay and I want to apologize for the inconvenience we have caused. Corrective action will be put into place so incidents, such as yours, will not happen again. Because we failed to meet your expectations, I want to invite you to contact myself at your convenience so we can discuss what we can do to better serve you. My name is Benjamin Ly and I am the Guest Services Manager, you can reach me at (714)740-1800 or by e-mail at Ben.Ly2@hilton.com
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We returned to Homewood suites for a Disneyland trip. The hotel was exactly as it was last visit, with the exception of a $12 self parking fee. We enjoy the condo type feel of Homewood! It is very comfortable, really like having a living room, kitchenette, bedroom and bath. They serve breakfast and dinner every day, although we have not done dinner because we were always out and about with our trip. Do, however, love having breakfast ready and going down to eat, with a good variety of food. Our only problem was a slow draining bathroom sink. Definitely a home away from home! There is even a Target across Harbor Blvd for incidentals :)

Room Tip: One side of hotel faces pool area and the otherside to the street on Chapman. If you want a quieter...