“Anaheim Homewood Suites March 2014”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Nice stay. Free breakfast and Mon-Thurs Dinner saves a lot of money for family Disney Trip. Shuttle every 30 minutes to Disney (reasonable rate) was convenient and cheaper than driving and parking at Disney Lot. Only complaint would be that this is NOT a non-smoking facility. First thing you notice in the rooms is the lack of freshness.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Glad to hear that your recent stay with us was a nice one! From our Suite Start Breakfast every morning, to our Managers' Evening Reception, it looks like you were able to join us for both. Also, I'm glad to read that our Disney shuttle was accomodating to your needs as well. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us, it was our pleasure having you as our guests.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,521)

Reviewed March 21, 2014

From the time we walked into this hotel, the signs of a bad stay were right in front of us...

We arrived at the property shortly after noon, and check-in time is 4pm. Having said that, we asked at the desk if our room was ready. Once the young lady (Kaitlyn?) behind the counter deigned to break away from the multiple phone calls she was taking, she was very abrupt and borderline rude. Our room wasn't ready, so we should go shopping. She did offer to store our baggage, though...

Once we came back from lunch, someone else (Luis?) was at the desk, and after being told again our room wasn't ready, he gave us an internet upgrade for our trouble, and made a point of checking on our room with housekeeping. Once it was done, he was very quick with the actual check-in procedures.

Once we got to our room, our air conditioner wasn't working. I attempted to adjust the thermostat, but since I don't have an engineering PhD, I wasn't able to figure it out. So, we called the desk and waited for someone to come up and show us what we were doing wrong. And waited, and waited...about 30 minutes later, Luis(?) from the front desk called to follow up and make sure we were taken care of. When we told him we were not, he apologized, and promised to get someone up to us. Moments later, a key went into the door, the door opened, then a maintenance man knocked and walked in. I'll say that again: HE OPENED THE DOOR BEFORE HE KNOCKED!!! Absolutely inappropriate!!!

He did adjust the thermostat, which was on some odd setting that only served to confuse me, and waited to see if the temperature would go down before he left. While he was there, another maintenance man came in, this time by knocking and waiting for entrance. His name was Michael M., and he was very nice.

So, we made it through the rest of the day without issue, and even had a nice gesture from the desk clerk. We had bought shuttle tickets, and he suggested that we charge them to the room, as we'd collect Hilton Points for the purchase, which is something no one else has suggested to us at any of our other Hilton stays.

We noticed the first night that the walls are razor thin, as every cough, sneeze and other noise from the room next to us was clearly audible to us, even over the TV.

We had paid for the room using points, so they had to check us out and right back in the next day. Which was fine, except our room keys were deactivated, so my girlfriend had to carry all of her packages back down to the lobby to get her key recharged after she came back from the park early on her own. A small thing, but when you're tired and annoyed by the crowds, it's not a fun thing to deal with.

When I returned to the room myself, I had already been warned about the key, so I didn't have that problem. I turned on the TV, and the only channel that had sound was the Disney propaganda channel every hotel in town has. It eventually fixed itself, so no harm no foul...

Friday morning, and we go to check out. My girlfriend goes down to ask about our final invoice, as the numbers on that were very, very different from the numbers my credit card was showing. We were overcharged for the room, and had a huge additional charge showing. She was told (by Kaitlyn) that the additional charges were, and I quote: "for incidentals, and in case something is broken or stolen."

With one sentence, she pretty much accused us of being redneck room thrashers and thieves. This is not the Four Seasons. There's no room service, so no need for a massive incidental charge. When we pointed that out, the response was, and again, I quote: "well, it's in case you take something from the market shop and don't tell us."

At that point, she walked away and came back upstairs. We left a short time later, dodging multiple housekeeping carts along the wall on both sides, and will never go back to that hotel. It's a shame, because it's very centrally located to some great restaurants, and the actual cost of the room per day is not at all bad...but the overall experience was so bad that we'll never subject ourselves to it again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eric C

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, as we use your feedback as a very important guest service tool. It appears that we have dropped the ball on many occassions during your stay and I want to apologize for the inconvenience we have caused. Corrective action will be put into place so incidents, such as yours, will not happen again. Because we failed to meet your expectations, I want to invite you to contact myself at your convenience so we can discuss what we can do to better serve you. My name is Benjamin Ly and I am the Guest Services Manager, you can reach me at (714)740-1800 or by e-mail at Ben.Ly2@hilton.com

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We returned to Homewood suites for a Disneyland trip. The hotel was exactly as it was last visit, with the exception of a $12 self parking fee. We enjoy the condo type feel of Homewood! It is very comfortable, really like having a living room, kitchenette, bedroom and bath. They serve breakfast and dinner every day, although we have not done dinner because we were always out and about with our trip. Do, however, love having breakfast ready and going down to eat, with a good variety of food. Our only problem was a slow draining bathroom sink. Definitely a home away from home! There is even a Target across Harbor Blvd for incidentals :)

Room Tip: One side of hotel faces pool area and the otherside to the street on Chapman. If you want a quieter...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank careqt

I am extremely happy to read that your recent stay with us was a great one! We appreciate the loyalty and patronage, and I'm glad that our suites accomodate your needs. Also, I'm glad that you were able to join us for our Suite Start Breakfast every morning, however, I am saddened that you were not able to join us for our Managers' Evening Reception. Next time you plan a trip to your "Home away from home" please stop by and say Hi, and possibly make plans to enjoy dinner with us.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Staff was very friendly and accommodating, they went out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. Our clocks had not been changed due to daylight savings time change, so we missed breakfast. When we went downstairs, the kitchen staff offered bagels and cereal, they were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend Homewood Suites and plan on staying here again.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

I'm so happy to read that your recent stay with us was an "AWESOME" one! I want to apologize for not setting your clock for daylights savings. However, I'm glad that our wonderful Breakfast Staff were able to accomodate you with some last minute items from our Suite Start Breakfast. I know you plan on staying with us again in the future, so for next time, please do stop by and say hello!

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Always enjoy staying at Homewood Suites because of all the space you can have and takes you away from a hotel feel. This one in particular has very nice staff to greet you and give recommendations for places to go if you don't want to do the Disney stuff. The rooms are also very modern with nice appliances. Would definitely recommend staying here

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Glad to hear that you found our staff very "Friendly" We do our best to accomodate our guests in every way possible, even for our guests who are not visiting our nearby neighbor, Disneyland. Next time you plan to come into town again, I hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stewart Arevalo did an excellent job helping our party put together a Disney adventure with multiple tickets for different days. He was very patient and friendly and made it a great interaction. He gave us the correct information for us to get the right tickets for what we wanted to do. Thanks Stewart!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Glad to hear that your family had an excellent experience with us, especially with Stewart Arevalo! He is one of Homewood Suites' great Guest Service Agents and this is evident in the courteous service he provided with you and your family. Next time you and your family are in town, please stop by and say Hi!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was our first trip to SoCal with our 4 older kids, it was a challenge to find a large enough place to stay. The room was large enough for all of us. Our kids are 12, 15, 18, and 20. We let the kids have the large bedroom and hubby and I slept in the livingroom on the sofa bed. The bed was uncomfortable but we were able to borrow a cot and once we put the cot mattress on the sofabed it was bearable... but the kids liked their beds. The only downside to the breakfast which was so great was the Styrofoam plates, otherwise the food was fresh and there was great variety. We also enjoyed the dinner's which were included M-Th,evenings (included wine or beer for us big kids!)...Saved us a ton of money and the kids enjoyed it. The pool was closed while we were there, but we were able to use the pool next door. Oh, and when we arrived, the bathroom had been "hotboxed" before we got there, when telling the 25yr old "manager" he just kind of laughed, I thought that was interesting.... overall good value though. We had our own vehicle so no issues with getting around. We would go there again with a large group.

Room Tip: Get a room with a north view so you can see fireworks!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Realtori
luis v, Guest Service Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit to our property. We are also happy to know that the spaces of the suite as well as the amenities we offer were able to accommodate your family. I would also like to sincerely apologize for the bathroom incident. I deeply regret the lack of service and professionalism you experience when trying to inform us about the issues you had with your suite. I truly apologize for any inconvenience this might of cause during your stay. If there are anything that we can do or questions please feel free to contact me. Once more thank you for giving us the pleasure of accommodating you and we look forward to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Hampton Inn and Suites Los Angeles - Anaheim - Garden Grove
Hyatt Regency Orange County
Hyatt Regency Orange County
#4 of 19 in Garden Grove

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area? Share your experiences!