“Close to Disneyland, Hotel DIRTY Misleading pics online” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Seattle, Washington
“Close to Disneyland, Hotel DIRTY Misleading pics online”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Do not let the pictures online mislead you. THe lobby is amazing, pool was nice. Bathroom in the suite does not have a fan. The bathtub plugged and not fixed. Some of the staff were rude. This is definately NOT HILTON quality. Halls and elevator were DIRTY> APPEARS to have a leak and base boards were missing. Hallways are dim and creepy feeling. Beds were comfortable. It is close to DISNEY which is a plus. BUT the airport shuttle booking that the front desk assists with was a disaster. We ended up booking our own after cancelling the one they booked. It was a waste of time to have them book for us.

Room Tip: Stay at the HILTON next door
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank leannw591
Gary H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to reach out and let me know the challenges experienced during your visit.

I will be working closely with my housekeeping and engineering departments to ensure we put these issues are put behind us, and am sure our current renovation will help leap us forward as well. Please accept my sincerest apologies, and am sure these will not be problems during your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Turkish first
Brentwood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

So every year, the husband goes to Las Vegas for March Madness, leaving me and our two devastatingly handsome but crazy exhausting boys home alone for just plain madness. This year, March Madness coordinated with my boys' spring break, so I wasn't even going to be able to send them to school for some daily alone time. That just ain't right! So this year, I threw a tantrum, if he got to go to the happiest place on earth, then the boys and I were going to go to the second happiest place on earth. That's right - Disneyland! One of my friends was going with her family and was staying at one of the Disney properties. I checked it out, but holy wads of cash Batman! Four HUNDRED freakin' dollars a night! Not gonna happen on my watch....

A quick internet search (OK, I obsessed about it for a couple of days) got me a smokin' good rate at the Homewood Suites. When traveling with my family, a door between my boys can mean the difference between a stressed-out Momma and a calm, serene Momma. Can I get an "Amen" sisters? In any case, the husband realized quickly (he's a smart one) it was a good idea to go along with the idea. We'd drive down together as a family, the next morning the hubs would fly to Vegas, and the boys and I would go to Disneyland.

OK, so we arrive on a Monday afternoon around 3:00. We had requested a Disney-facing room on a high floor so we could watch the fireworks in our pajamas. Because the hubs is Hilton Silver (that's just how he rolls), they accomodated this request, but our room wasn't quite ready. No problem, off to the natural grocery store (Mother's) to stock up on supplies (gotta love the full-size in-room fridge!). We got back, room still not ready, but I'm sure it's because it was getting extra-specially clean for Mr. Hilton Silver. Around 5ish, got into the room and were given a kit-kat bar wrapped with Mr. Hilton Silver's name on it. Who doesn't love free candy? I pointed out to my boys that it had Daddy's name on it and therefore wasn't theirs, and voila! Two more kit-kat bars magically appeared! I like rollin' with Mr. Silver. Just sayin'.

We went up to our room and began unpacking for our 6-day stay. So here's the bad news, the A/C didn't work. Now that I'm in my middle years, I like my cool air. But I'm in such a good mood, I don't care! OK, so the bathroom sink didn't drain, um, eww. No problem! Brush your teeth in the kitchen boys! A quick call downstairs, and housekeeping arriveed with fans, extra towels (Mr. Silver likes to shower. A lot. Just sayin'.), and another chair since there were only two at the dining table.

The next morning, we got up early to attack Disney. We took the shuttle ($20/adult and $5/kid for a 5-day pass, a good value in my book) that took us there without stopping at a zillion hotels. OK, the shuttle was crowded, but it was great not to drive. Did the whole Disney thing, came back in the afternoon. Not only was the A/C and sink fixed, but a bag of candy was left behind for our inconvenience. I skimmed all the good stuff (who doesn't love a Snickers?) and gave the rest to my boys. I love this place!

The first night without, I was too tired to take my boys out to dinner, so used the free reception food downstairs (chicken fajitas, as I recall) and supplemented with leftovers from the night before and veggies from the natural grocery (gotta love the two-burner stove!). Surprisingly, it didn't suck. I mean, I'm still going to go to SuperMex in Fullerton for some housemade guac every time I'm in the area, but for free food, it was pretty tasty! And the wine was pretty drinkable too! One word of caution, don't serve yourself wine in one of those big plastic cups, it turns out that they hold more than Dr. Oz recommends you drink for optimum health. Just sayin'. Free breakfast every morning too - who doesn't love a hot waffle?

The next four days were more of the same, although another family joined us for two of those days. Overall, everything went pretty well. Luis at the front desk was not only friendly and helpful, but gave us some good Disney advice AND a coupon for the pizza place next door (Oggis) that saved me $15! Byron (the GM, I believe) was out and about, keepin' it real and greeting the masses during the reception, not hiding in some cushy air-conditioned office. Pretty much everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful.

On the downside, three busses of high school kids arrived for a band competition at Disney, and were all over the lobby one afternoon trying to get checked in, and the elevators were a bit backed up for a while (where do you get a Fast Pass for this ride anyway?). Also, the pool was closed for "maintenance" (which gave me an excuse not to take my kids here), but other than that, smooth sailing. I would actually consider doing Disney as a single Mom again next year.

Room Tip: Get a Disney facing room on the 6th floor (or 7th floof if you're a smoker) and you can watch th...
2 Thank ShesaBadMammaJamma
Gary H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to reach out and let me know about your experience during your recent visit. I am happy to hear that the team was able make your visit positively memorable. Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you soon.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights/5 days during the busy Easter weekend. Arrived super early and hotel had no problems holding our luggages. Even stored some baby milk for us in a back fridge before we could check in. This was our first ever stay at a Homewood Suites. We opted for the Homewood for a larger room instead of the traditional Hampton or Hilton. Embassey did not have the best reviews so I did not want to risk it. We made good choice especially at $119/night. Two large rooms. Semi-large "L" shaped sofa for everyone to relax in one place. Nice flat screen TVs in each room. CLOSET PLACE!! Two huge closets in sleeping area. Great when traveling with 3-kids and lots of luggages and strollers. Each TV sits on a walnut colored large dresser and not a standard TV stand. So each stand had 3 large storage drawers for storing clothes. Large sink outside of restroom so someone can shower while others get ready. Kitchen area was fine. They provide basic essentials I usually have to buy such as dish soap and NEW dish sponges, so that was convenient. Semi-large fridge and freezer so plenty of space to store items. Queen size beds, not full-size, were nice and comfy. Had no problem with temperature controls as mentioned in other reviews. Breakfast was standard but plentiful, but as others noted, LOTS and LOTS of people, so get there early as they pickup as soon as 9AM (weekdays) and 9:30 (weekends) hits the clock. Hotel is hidden off from Harbor Blvd behind the larger Marriott. You need to turn and drive on Chapman to actually see hotel, we passed it up twice. Starbucks located inside of Marriott but since the two hotels seem to share parking area that was very convenient, without having to pay the full Marriott price. Parking was always full but we always found a spot. Hotel is a bit older than most of the newly renovated Hilton properties but you can not beat the amenities for the price and location. We will definitly stay here again when we go back in a few years especially for the space you can get for the price.

Room Tip: We requested room on low floor to avoid chaos with elevators. We got a room on 2nd floor (222) and o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

A 'hidden gem' near Disneyland. 2-room suite w/FULL kitchen, sitting area & desk; bedroom 2 queens & bathroom w/detached sink & mirror to avoid AM gridlock. Big pool, free breakfast great. GREAT place -- & AAA discounts, even better!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Was surprised by the size of the rooms, friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, and exceptional value of this well located property. I have stayed in hotels much closer to Disney, but the small inconvenience of the distance to Disney will certainly be offset by its many other attractive features.

Marana, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Suite and hospitality was unexpected for the price. They could have charged double their current rate!!! Very friendly staff both during the day and at night. They always went above and beyond any requests that I had.

1 Thank Andrew S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I liked everything about my stay here. We came to go to Disneyland, and we were so comfortable. I would highly recommend Homewood Suites to anyone looking for the best value for their travelling dollars.

1 Thank Justin F
Hyatt Regency Orange County
#2 of 19 in Garden Grove
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,117 reviews
Hampton Inn and Suites Los Angeles - Anaheim - Garden Grove

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area? Share your experiences!