“Wonderful time”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
“Wonderful time”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I cannot praise the staff enough, nothing was too much trouble their customer service second to none. The hotel was really clean with our rooms cleaned daily. Our son celebrated his 40th birthday during our stay, the staff joined in the celebration by giving him a birthday cake and singing happy birthday to him, while we were sat on the shuttle bus, a memory that will remain with us for some time!
The pool was fantastic we had 5 children with us and they loved every minute of their time in the pool, which was clean and well cared for.
Thanks to all at the Homenwood Suites for a lovely holiday I would recommend the hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was our third trip to the Homewood Suites in Garden Grove, California. We have stayed a total of nearly a month and a half there over the past 2 years. Even with a few issues, I am giving it 5 stars (I would give it between 4 and 5 if possible).

The best part of staying at this Homewood Suites location is the staff. There is always a friendly face and welcome when arriving to the resort (every day). Luis at the front desk is incredible, and remembered us from our stay last year. The breakfast staff and the dinner staff (4 nights per week for dinner) is always helpful and accommodating. If I could give 1000 stars for friendliness and helpfulness, I would. They really bend over backwards to make sure that each guest has a wonderful stay.

Upon arrival to the resort in late August, we received a hearty welcome and checked in quickly and easily. There is always coffee in the lobby, and sometimes cold water with lemon and/or lime. I don't remember the latter from previous trips, and it was refreshing.

The public areas were clean and looked fresh. That changes during breakfast and dinner for a while, but the staff keeps up the best they can.

The hallway leading to our room could use a little TLC. Our room also looked like it could use a refurb, but we were happy otherwise with the suite we were given. The room was kept clean, and overlooked the pool. We normally arrived back to the suite after 10pm at night, and never had any noise issues that I can remember. I had requested a first floor room, that is our preference so that we don't have to use the elevator.

One small change I liked from our last trip is that the shampoo and conditioner are from Bath & Body Works. Prior, they were from Neutrogena (which were fine as well, but conditioner was impossible to get out of the bottle). Soap is Neutrogena. Paper towels, dish soap, etc. are supplied, and a microwave popcorn pack was in the kitchen. We received one more during our stay.

The beds are extremely comfortable, which is always welcome when arriving back from a long day. We both seemed to have a mild allergy to something in the room, but I have no idea what it was (it's not occurred before and wasn't enough for us to worry about or tell the staff about).

Breakfast is always fantastic - cereal, waffle makers, juice, several hot items, bagels, etc. There are a few differences from last year. There were no mini-muffins (not a big deal), no fresh fruit (that was a disappointment), and yogurt is now in a big container - not small, individual cups. I am sure they have to keep the food costs down, and fresh fruit is often left sitting around. The Target across the street now has a grocery section if that is a necessity.

We had dinner 4 or 5 nights - it's not fancy, but we like the food. There is always salad, and a rotating menu of items. Grilled hamburgers, spaghetti, hot dogs, etc. were all part of what was served while we were there. There used to be store-bought cookies with dinner, but now there are fresh, warm cookies in the evening (around 8-9pm). We didn't have them every night, but several times during our stay. The cookies are delicious!

Breakfast and dinner can get crazy - but not always during our stay. Some days were really busy, and can get messy (mostly with parents not watching over their kids). But other days were pretty moderate, with fewer guests. There is a soda fountain (it includes unsweetened Nestea) that is available during breakfast, and on the nights there is dinner (M-Thurs). These meals can be a huge money saver, even just for the 2 of us!

The pool area was kept clean, and we like the jacuzzi. It seems like they've tightened up pool security since we've been there (it seemed we could only get through by walking through the dining area). Towels are available.

There is also a member of the staff who keeps track of who arrives at breakfast and dinner, which didn't happen before. No complaints here, we received some Cars themed stickers from them. :)

Wifi is free - I had problems this time with my computer, but the other computer we had was fine. There are also two public computers and a printer - all complimentary. Laundry is less expensive to use than many other hotels - $1.25 or so to wash, about the same to dry.

We used the shuttle to the park, which costs $3.00 per day per person. It is reliable, on the half hour.

I mentioned that there is a Target across the street, there is also a Vons within about a 10 minute walking distance. There are a ton of restaurants around the resort, although you may not need them with all the food at the Homewood Suites!

Parking is $12 per day, but that is the only fee other than the shuttle. We used the Disneyland Express to get to the hotel (many guests never use a car).

We had hoped to see GM Joe Leinacker this trip, but we were told he has several locations he manages now. He manages a wonderful staff that takes care of their guests.

I recommend the Homewood Suites. It feels like home whenever we visit! Even with a few issues (a little TLC is needed with the hallway rug, walls, and a bit in the rooms), I'd rather have a welcoming hotel than one that looks perfect. We will be back.

Room Tip: The elevators can be slow, I recommend a first floor room if you can get it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank nbodyhome
Port Moody, BC
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was my second visit since Apr of last year. This time was just average, the breakfast seemed to be of lesser quality then last time. Hot breakfast included is always a great feature, and that gets the farther from the park hotels bookings. I like individual yogurt cups, but this time was bulk scoop yourself yogurt, and the fruit was canned. Typcial breakfast was scrambled eggs or egg patties, bacon or sausage patties, oatmeal, 4 waffle machines, assorted breads, juices. Some mornings it was poorly stocked, and would be out of some things for a while. I booked 10 months in advance, asking for lowest floor possible, which I got the second floor but the farthest possible room away. Those hallways are very very long after an exhuasting day at disney land. They have laundry on site, which is leased space by a laundry company. I belive it was only 3 washers/3 dryers and was very busy. You felt almost guilty doing laundry while people were waiting.. they need more machines for sure and a much bigger room. Last time they always had fresh coffee out, and this time it was mostly empty! It was hit or miss if the fresh lemon water was out or empty, so I am not too sure why that was. Not the hotels fault (well kinda), but we use the ART bus line while in anahiem. The pick up spot used to be a hop and a skip away, but since the hotels have thier own shuttles, the ART is not allowed to stop there now. We had to walk about 5 minutes away which was super annoying. Both hotel shuttles and ART are 4 bucks a day, but I find the ART less crowded and you can get discounted tickets through getaway today. This time was not fabulous like the last. Probably will not return for a 3rd visit. Great for large families who can take advantage of the complimentary dinners M-Th & the beds are amazing...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Homewoodgmjoe, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I appreciate your recent review of our property. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that were posed during your family trip to the area. I understand that you were disappointed with your meal selections and we will review our offerings, keeping your recommendations in mind. The next time you are in town please visit us again. Thank you for your comments.
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in August 2012 on on holiday from the U.K. From the minute we arrived we had a warm greeting from the staff on reception and found all our room requests had been accommodated (high floor close rooms with Disney view). The room on inspection was immaculately clean and fresh and whilst the furniture is dark wood which gives a dark feel to the room; in time you didn't notice! The beds were very comfortable, some of the best we have slept on in a hotel, with vast amounts of pillows. The room temperature was easy to control and the room was serviced back to perfecton daily by the super ladies (or fairies)! The breakfast is fabulous; the staff worked tirelessly to keep all items well stocked and the menu of hot items were varied daily. My only minor observation was the toasters were not that powerful so you had to be patient and there was sometimes a small que as there were only two. The managers buffet was an added bonus. The pool area is very clean and well stocked with clean towels and beds; my girls loved the pool! We used the shuttle to Disney; it was good value versus parking, got you nearer to the park and ultimately quicker! My other recommendation would be the hotel needs a faster/extra lift. What makes this hotel is categorically the staff; without exception they are warm, friendly, knowledgeable and no request was too much trouble for them! I have to give Gus a special mention as it was he who got the most requests from us and he delivered every time! My husband had a special birthday whilst we were visiting and the staff made it extra special by doing what they did!!!! I would have absolutely NO hesitation in recommending this hotel (and I am the first to complain if something isn't right)! Everything about this hotel was right for our stay; all thanks to the hard work of the lovely staff! Thank you all! Ps send us some of the beautiful sunshine!

• Stayed August 2012
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here May 2012 - there were 6 of us so we booked a 2-bedroom queen suite as it said it could accommodate 6 people as it also had a sofa sleeper. The sofa sleeper was a joke - it was basically like lying directly on top of springs! I asked the front desk to have it switched and they said all the sofa sleepers were in the same condition so they did offer to bring up a rollaway (that accommodated 1 person and wasn't much better than the sofa). All staff were pleasant and accommodating. The food was good, my family enjoyed the pool and the hot tub. It also was very quiet in our room even though there were a lot of families staying there. Also, the shuttle was very convenient and always on time. We were able to get on it every time even though sometimes it looked like it was going to be full capacity, but I believe they do bring extra shuttles if needed. The location was close to Disneyland and restaurants nearby (walking distance) and we also visited a nearby Target a couple times to get snack and drink items to keep in the suite. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are not looking to sleep more than 4 people in a room and I don't believe they should even advertise these rooms as accommodating 6 people as 2 people are going to have the worst sleep of their lives. We were there for a full week so this was a BIG issue for us as opposed to staying just a night where a person can put up with anything. This hotel would get an excellent rating if it weren't for the sofa sleeper.

Room Tip: Sleep quality for beds in suites is very good. The poor rating was for the sofa sleeper which reall...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DJJ60
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed September 5, 2012

breakfast was good. Room was nice and cozy. Sleeper sofa unfolded takes up most living room space. Still liked it though. Leave bathroom light on before bed. got trapped in bathroom in middle of night. Great hotel though. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: elevators far away. Try a corner suite...maybe they're closer.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We visited from the UK and booked this accommodation for thirteen nights on the strength of the reviews on here and were glad we did. The hotel staff are friendly, welcoming and very helpful and the room is clean, well sized with comfortable beds. The location of the Suites is convenient being only a few minutes from Disneyland and Interstate 5 (to go to LA) and has numerous eating and shopping opportunities within walking distance. The complimentary breakfast is a bonus but be aware that choice is limited and it does get very busy, the complimentary dinner (which is served Monday-Thursday) was served too early for us to take advantage as we had some very full days. The pool area with jacuzzi was rarely busy (particularly during the day) but would be utilised by guests more of an evening. Complimentary Wi-Fi also worked reliably and we had free parking as we stayed for an extended time. In fact the only negative we had (as another correspondent has mentioned below) was the presence of a rather obnoxious sports team on a couple of days who were rather out of keeping wih the other guests and we really wouldn't have liked to have been on the same floor as them! We would also recommend they introduce safe deposit boxes in the rooms rather than just in reception.

All told we have no qualms about recommending this excellent Suites hotel to anyone on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Homewoodgmjoe, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Wow, thank you for the great review from a senior contributor on TripAdvisor! We're thrilled to hear you agree with our strong reviews as well as our award from TripAdvisor as one of the top ten large hotels in the US for families. We try to maintain a low level of noise for all guests while allowing them to enjoy themselves and have a great vacation at the same time. We will continue to strive to improve in this area moving forward. We hope to see you again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Anaheim Marriott Suites
Anaheim Marriott Suites
#4 of 19 in Garden Grove
Hyatt Place at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area? Share your experiences!