“A GREAT hotel!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed December 27, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in December, 2007. We chose this hotel because we wanted the amenities of a suite, like the separate bedroom and the kitchen.

The only thing we didn't like about the hotel was the elevators, which as other reviewers have noted, were slow. We generally took the stairs, but after a long day walking at Disneyland it is nice to ride in an elevator without having a long wait.

Other than the elevators, we liked pretty much everything else about the hotel.

The room was fantastic. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. The furnishings were updated and did not seem dated. The bedroom has an actual door that closes, which was fantastic the night I couldn't sleep and was able to watch TV in the other room without disturbing my sleeping spouse. The kitchen was small but functional, and came equipped with all necessary tools and dishes. The kitchen has no oven (micorwave and cooktop only) and the dishwasher might be too noisy to run if someone is sleeping on the sofa bed.

The hotel offers a FANTASTIC free breakfast. It has hot and cold items, waffles, and fountain soda. We grabbed some fruit and yogurt one morning and enjoyed them later in the park. The front desk area and lobby are clean and the staff was very friendly. There is a small 24 hour convenience store that sells wine, souveniers and snack items. There is a 24 hour business center with Internet access and printers.

The hotel location is too far to walk to Disneyland, but the hotel has a shuttle. I drove to the Mickey & Friends structure when I went to the park, so I have no review of the shuttle. There is an Outback Steakhouse and a Joe's Crab Shack in the parking lot of the hotel, and a Target across the street. There is also a Starbucks within easy walking distance of the front desk.

This hotel also has free parking. One of the weekend nights the lot around the hotel was pretty full, but there was ample parking in the back lot. I previously stayed at the Hyatt across the street and paid $12 a day to park my car, so the free parking was a huge plus.

I will stay at this hotel again. I enjoyed the breakfast and the overall value of being able to stock groceries and eat small meals without the high tourist prices. The facilites were clean and modern and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CoBroon

Reviewed December 19, 2007

It was new, parking was plenty, rooms were clean, check-in staff very professional. Free breakfast was great. However, in Nov the place was very crowded (week of Thanksgiving), so hotel had to cope with crowds at breakfast, insufficient linen and crowded laundry room.

2  Thank EYD
Reviewed December 19, 2007

We stayed here with our five kids and found it to be just what we needed. It is close to Disneyland and they do have a shuttle available for $3 pp that will take you all around the area all day long. The rooms were clean, our requests for extra towels and pillows were fulfilled quickly. The staff was friendly and helpful and the free breakfasts and weekday light dinners were a great money saver. The pool was also clean and had nice landscaping.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank akhippychick
Reviewed November 21, 2007

We stayed at the Homewood Suites for 4 nights in November for a Disneyland trip. In our party were my wife, our 1.75 year-old son, my Mom, and myself. I booked through the Hilton Honors website and added the fourth night at the last minute with our rewards points.

Location:
The Homewood Suites are about five blocks south of Disneyland, not within walking distance. They do offer shuttle service, but I don't know the details, as we didn't use it. I loved the location because there are three restaurants in the parking lot (Outback, Red Robin, and Joes Crab Shack), and a starbucks in the adjacent Hyatt. There is also a Target right across the street and a Vons grocery store a few blocks to the east. There was plenty of free parking.

Check In/Lobby:
We had a late arrival and everything was perfect. Keeping in mind that I originally thought we'd have to switch rooms due to my last minute rewards night, the front desk was able to just keep us in the same room our whole stay, which was nice of them. The Lobby (also where they have breakfast) was very spacious and clean.

The Room:
Our room had one king bed and a sofa bed. It was divided into two rooms. One being the kitchen and living area (with the sofa bed), and the other being the king bedroom with the bathroom. Everything was very clean and well taken care of. The kitchen had everything except for an oven, and the room had all the normal amenities. No wireless internet, but the free corded high-speed internet worked well.

Housekeeping:
Let me preface this by saying that we stay in hotels with our toddler many times (probably 6 times a year), and we've never had a housekeeper come in the afternoon before. We come back from Disneyland in the afternoon so he can take a nap. Three of the four days we were there housekeeping wanted to clean our room at 2-3pm, even thought they'd be right down the hall from our room first thing in the morning when we left. This made us feel rushed to get out of the room so they could clean and wasn't conducive to our schedule. The final day they finally came in the morning so I'm not sure if they finally got the hint, or we just got lucky. At any rate it was unacceptable in my opinion. But it wasn't enough to ruin our stay.

Breakfast:
The breakfast was great. It was a full spread that changed slightly from day to day. Some of the items they offered were eggs, potatoes, sausage, waffles, cereal, toast, fruit, and yogurt. At the busy times there was sometimes nowhere to sit, but other than that we were very pleased.

Overall:
We'd stay here again even with the housekeeping glitch. It was such a good value and the rest of the accommodations greatly outshine the housekeeping issue. I'd recommend the Homewood Suites for anyone traveling in a group going to Disneyland, or just anyone who likes to have a suite.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank Toebus
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Stayed here for 3 nites Nov. 10-12th. On the morning of the 11th the family went to Disneyland for the day. Upon our return in the afternoon we found the room door open and the cleaning cart in the hallway. My wife called into the room to announce that we were back and were about to enter. Hearing no response after several attempts, we entered our room and encountered the housekeeper who quickly exited
while saying "see you tomorrow". My wife headed for the bathroom then abruptly returned to the living room with a look of disbelief on her face. She stated that the bathroom smelled like someone had just used it for a bowel movement. Not only that, there was also the odor of my wifes' perfumed body spray that apparently had been used to cover the foul smell. She also thought that her eye makeup case had been
"disturbed". I immediately went down to the front desk to complain but
the 2 female staff just wrinkled their noses and stated "we apologize for that". The hotel manager was not available because it was the Veterans' Day holiday weekend. I requested my family be moved to another floor but that never happened. Needless to say for the next 2 nites of our stay there we kept the "privacy please" sign on the door to prevent housekeeping from entering again. Also, the speed dial buttons on the room phone did not work nor did the zero button for the
operator, the stopper in the bathroom sink was broken but I fixed it myself and the screws were mostly falling out of the security latch on
the room door. The furniture looked worn and low end. The Monday night
complimentary meal of pasta with chicken looked appetizing until I bit
into a piece of bone or gristle twice. I am tempted to give this hotel
the lowest rating but since there is an effort ongoing to freshen up the rooms I will be generous and rate it a #2 out of 5 but it was the houskeepers "actions" that first day that really ruined the experiance
for us.

4  Thank vegasallan
Reviewed November 5, 2007

We booked two rooms for an overnight stay on a trip to Disneyland. Both rooms were in excellent condition. The rooms were clean, spacious and the furniture was in good condition. Each room had a microwave, dishwasher, two burner cook top, coffee maker and refrigerator. We found a few cooking utensils as well. A dinette set in the front room had two chairs and a table. A TV set, I think it was 27 inches, was in the front room and bedroom. The batteries in the remote control for the TV in the front room were dead, but the remote in the bedroom worked fine. The front room had a sleep sofa which we didn't use. A sink was outside the bathroom. Would have been nice to have a double sink, but the single was fine.

Parking was next to the hotel. The lot was well lit.

Check in was painless. Although there was only receptionist when we check in at about 5:00 pm, he got us through the process quickly and efficiently. We were able to pay for our bus passes, a $3 fee, during check in and charge the passes to the room. A bus schedule was available by asking. Disneyland tickets, for more than one day, can also be purchased at the front desk.

There are lots of restaurants nearby. Across the parking lot from the hotel is an Outback Steakhouse and Red Robin (hamburgers). A Target and Coco’s are located across the street. About half a block away is a Buca di Beppo (Italian).

The breakfast was good. Scrambled eggs, bacon, cold cereal, bananas, range juice, coffee and milk were available. Seating was easy to find.

The bus stopped just outside the hotel about 30 feet from the entrance. The bus stopped by approximately every 20-25 minutes. I noticed only one stop between the hotel and Disneyland. We made it to and from the park in 5 minutes. Bus service started at 6:20 am and ran until 12:30 am.

4  Thank ralan
Reviewed October 20, 2007

Nice lobby, decent breakfast, helpful staff, rooms need upgrading as the convertible couch was terrible. The beds were in need of replacement. Called maintenance for some issues and they were attended to while we were at Disneyland. Overall nice hotel. Use the back elevator as nobody uses it and it's faster than the slug elevator near the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Hyatt Regency Orange County
Hyatt Regency Orange County
#3 of 19 in Garden Grove
Hampton Inn and Suites Los Angeles - Anaheim - Garden Grove

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area? Share your experiences!