“Good choice for Disney vacation”

Hyatt Regency Orange County
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC suburbs
“Good choice for Disney vacation”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We originally had a 4 night reservation at the Portofino but I read some good reviews about the Hyatt so we switched at the last minute. Stayed in a kids suite in the North Tower and the room was perfect. Kids loved their "private" room (with bunk beds) which gave the parents some quite time alone too. Only drawback was the parents room didn't have a window. Overall, the hotel was very clean, bright and spacious. Staff was super friendly and helpful. Shuttle to/from Disney was quick and convenient. Restaurants were very good for dinner and breakfast and the Target across the street allowed us to load up the in-room fridge. Paying for parking and internet was unfortunate, but didn't break the bank. Both pools were perfect to relax by. Really can't think of any complaints and would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank glenwood96
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, September 10, 2009
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Orange County for your recent visit to Disneyland. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Kids Suite, as well as services such as the complimentary shuttle. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and hope to have you back as our guests again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
greenwich
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt for 7 nights in early August and it was very crowded. We had a standard room in the South Tower (you can request a refrigerator which we had) but the room was less than 3 star quality really needing to be renovated. Housekeeping was horrible begging for shampoo/soap and had to purchase soap at target as they refused to restock. Even though the hotel was sold out a couple nights we found the Hyatt to be quiet as many hotels are not. The shuttles were always on time, a/c buses and trip to DL was less than 10 minutes. . I am sure after their renovations the hotel will be worthy of 4 stars as they do have a Pizza Hut Express, Starbucks, 2 small pools, hot tubs and a restaurant and lounge. The gift was shop was tiny and expensive. There is a large Target store across the street which carries everything including food/wine. We mainly were at Disney but one day did the OC Beach Tour which was fabulous!! Very informative and fun. You can get off at any of the 3 stops and spend a few hours or half a day as we did at Newport Beach and do the Harbor Tour, go swimming, have lunch and Laguana Beach which was fabulous for lunch and shopping. I highly recommend the OC Beach Tour. Had several dinners at Disney, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen which was excellent. Across the street from Hyatt is a Joe's Crab Shack which is fun and the food is ok. Next door is a Outback Steakhouse and a Red Robin. The burgers at Red Robin were beyond delicious. A great restaurant I wish there was a chain in CT. I have traveled to Disney in Orlando dozens of times and was surprised that most if not all the restaurants in Disney and near the hotel close at 10pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends. There are many hotels surrounding the Hyatt that I probably would consider for next visit. Would only stay again if I found an incredible low rate and the renovations were finished..

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, September 1, 2009
Thank you for providing valuable feedback regarding our hotel and services. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel’s location and complimentary shuttle to Disneyland. As you noted, we are currently in the process of updating all of our guestrooms, and hope that you will come back and visit us again once renovations are complete.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2009

I arrived for my third visit to this hotel on 7th August 2009. I was 10 hours late after a flight delay from London. My room had been booked and pre-paid for via a Virgin Holidays package, but when I arrived at 05.20am (understandably exhausted) I was told that my room had been allocated to other guests . Reason? I was late and the hotel was full as there was apparently a lot of renovations going on. I was offered a free breakfast and an alternative 'room'.
The room turned out to be a living room between 2 suite bedrooms (which were occupied). The room had a sofa bed with enough bedding for one person - there were two of us so I slept in an armchair...
Later that morning when I went back to the front desk, I was told there was now a room for me. I asked whether the free breakfast was all the compensation I would be given for the inconvenience caused - to which the response was "yes". I then asked to speak to a manager, who proceeded to first of all claim that I had only paid for 13 nights (not true) and then tell me it was my fault for the because I "checked in at 05.00am" (not acceptable). I then consulted the Virgin travel representative who arranged a new hotel for me.
The hotel obviously has some good points as it was to be my third stay of probably many more. However it will be my last as the treatment I received was stressful and the manager's refusal to sympathise for his team's errors was totally unacceptable.
PS. The Hyatt did refund the money paid for my first night back to Virgin, which I now have to write and claim for...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrBodeM
sacramento CA
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We had one issue after another with this hotel. I asked for two beds in a non-smoking room and called to verify that was what we would get. After being told yes, we were put into a smoking room because there were no more non-smoking ones available. The whole floor smelled bad. We complained and were moved the next day into a non-smoking room, but the keys they brought to us did not work. One elevator was broken, and the other two were completely inadequate. People waited more than 20 minutes to get to the lobby. We gave up and took the stairs. Housekeeping never gave us enough towels, even though we told them we had four people, and when we ran out of shampoo, they never restocked. They charge $15 a day just for parking, an outrageous amount, and even the Internet is not free.

1 Thank carotravels
Castro Valley, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Stayed August 13-17. Another win through priceline @ $41.00 a night. Aware of $15.00 a day parking fee. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Rooms are in need of renovation in south tower where I stayed. Alot of wear and tear is showing. It just so happens they are in the middle of a $25 million renovation. I never heard any construction noise, but then I was hardly there. Had problems with room key, wouldn't read key card. Manager came and opened room, and gave us another set of keys. They still didn't work either. Went to front desk and they gave us "new keys" and sent up maintinence. He came up within minutes. The keys actually worked this time. He said it's because they re-use the card keys too much. They should be using new keys each time to avoid this problem. Starbucks was very convienent in the lobby each morning. Never had any parking issues but they don't share their lot with any other hotel. Didn't use any of their amenitities so can't comment on them, sorry. Overall a good experience and would definitely stay here again. Wish they had refrigerators in all their rooms and not just their suites.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
We really appreciate your feedback and suggestions, and hope to have you back as our guest again in the future!
Bournemouth, UK
Reviewed August 20, 2009

This was our second visit to this hotel and we stayed there from 1-18 August. When we arrived after a vey long transatlantic flight we asked if we could upgrade to a room with more space in view of the length of our stay. There are alot of rooms out of use at the moment due to the renovations that are taking place but the Rooms Manager, Jason, managed to book us into a suite on the top (17th) floor, overlooking the 3rd floor pool and with THE most amazing view, especially at night.

Our room was very quiet indeed with no noise from neighboring rooms, it was also extremely spacious and well furnished providing the perfect base for our 17 night stay.

I would have to say the jewel in the crown for this hotel is it's staff....from Mark on front desk, Angela the concierge (what a fount of knowledge!!), Jean our breakfast waitress and of course Jason who went the extra mile to make sure our stay was a comfortable and enjoyable one. Customer service is clearly a top priority at the Hyatt Orange County!.

We were only sorry to leave this hotel and are already planning our next trip. If you are considering this hotel for your next vacation (and no, I'm not paid by the Hyatt!), I can only ask if we would be likely to stay in one hotel for 17 nights if we were less than pleased?? And be planning a longer stay for next year?

With very grateful thanks to everyone at the Hyatt- we'll be back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Thank you so much for providing such wonderful feedback! We are happy to hear that you had such a pleasurable experience at our hotel, and appreciate you taking the time to recognize the staff who helped make your stay extra special. Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Orange County, and we look forward to having you back as our guests again next year!
Vancouver
Reviewed August 19, 2009

The Hyatt is not- it. Surprisingly Disappointed.
We booked an online 1 Bdroom Queen Suite 3 months prior. Upon arrival we were informed that we would be getting a Standard Room with a Disney Room (this is considered a suite by Hyatt Standards). After reviewing our email confirmation the Hyatt agreed that we would get our 1 Bedroom but it would be the next day. For the night we were placed in a dated, smelly, and moldy Standard Room in the South Tower (below a roadside motel standard). For the 1 night we stayed – looking back I should have insisted on a different room. Anyways the second room was great and to our Standard. Shuttles great and convenient – drivers hilarious and fun! Service in the dining room quite slow, but food is good, and really slow if you decide to Lounge it after 11 pm. Waitress completely ignored us after 11:30 as she was waiting for 12 o’clock closing. Lastly watch out for the $7.98 per minute phone calls. Even after confirming phone costs at check in (which we were told 1.00 minute ) our phone bill totaled close to $ 60.00 for calls in the State. Anyways would not stay there again because of the little hassles here and there. Expected more from a Hyatt. Too bad surprisingly dissappointed as the Hyatt in Vancouver BC is great. Felt a bit ripped off over their mixups. As we were checking out we were reliefed to here another customer complaining of moldy rooms as we thought maybe we were too picky.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Anaheim Marriott
#28 of 118 in Anaheim
Hyatt Place at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim Resort – Convention Center

Been to Hyatt Regency Orange County? Share your experiences!