Hyatt Regency Orange County
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 10, 2009

March 28, 2009 my wife and I just got married that night and chose this hotel to celebrate our first night as husband and wife. We got a 2bdroom suite and had our bridal party join us in the room after the wedding. Hotel security comes charging in and acts like we're a bunch of high school kids having a party. They had the audacity to tell me The Best Western is down the street, which was the most unprofessional thing that could've been said. When I replied by saying that a complaint will be filed with management, they snickered and said, "go ahead". They disrespected my wife and I and all of our bridal party. They demanded the extra guests leave at once. At that point my wife and I refused to stay in a hotel that would treat us with such disrespect.

I've dealt with 3 people with Hyatt, and all of have been a nightmare. They would not issue me a credit for my whole stay and put the blame on me for allowing too many guests in my room. They agreed to issue 1 nights credit and I have been going back and forth with them for the past 3 months and they still can't figure out how to issue me a credit.

I have refrained from posting a comment about my stay but after 3 months and no resolution I'm tired of the run around. All of my family and friends have heard the story, some witnessed it, and they will never step foot in another Hyatt. I've filed my complaint with BBB to hopefully speed up the resolution process.

I rate this hotel AWFUL for the bad service and lack of resolution.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 03wrex
nicole_gravelle, Hotel Management at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2009

While we can understand your frustration with your wedding night, you must understand the need for a hotel not to have large parties in guest sleeping rooms. Please understand that we cannot allow large, loud parties in our guest sleeping rooms, especially when the parties disrupt other guests. It is never the hotel's intention to have to evict a large party, late at night, however we also have to ensure that disruptive behavior in our guest rooms does not occur for the safety and security of all of our guests.

We apologize how this situation has left a negative impression with you.

Hotel Management of the Hyatt Regency Orange County

Write a ReviewReviews (3,624)

Reviewed July 4, 2009

We had a two bedroom suite, which woked well as I attended a conference and my college aged kids explore SoCal. The 2BR was more than large with a living area and 2 BRs on seperate sides of the LR. Each had its own bath. A small fridge and microwave were found in the armoir that contianed the TV. Very small and hard to get to for such an over-large space. Decor was a bit dated. One BR had a nice floor to ceiling window- overlooking a parking lot and defunct golfing range.

The Hyatt is located in a mega-busy Disneyland fueled strip of hotels. Always busy and very family friendly, the Hyatt met the needs of both families and business travelers, although the choice of good restaurants within walking distance is minimal unless you like chains.

The best thing about the stay was Jason, one of the managers behind the front desk who was so helpful and was so friendly and welcoming, not only with me, but also my kids. Good service is never forgotten. Thank you Jason!

1  Thank ElleInATL
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2009

We are glad to hear that you had a pleasurable stay at the hotel, and experienced the superior service that Hyatt prides itself on. Thank you for the great feedback, and we hope to have you and your family back again in the near future!

Reviewed July 2, 2009

I stayed at this hotel because I was attending a meeting that was being held there. I stayed in one of the more expensive rooms because they ran out of the standard rooms (King business). On the first night of my stay, I woke up with itching in my legs and arms but did not pay much attention to it. However, when I woke up in the morning, I found numerous bite type lesions which were quite itchy (see photos). I immediately reported this to the front desk and they told me they would report this to the management who conducted an inspection of the bedding and mattress. I did not hear back from anyone to give me a report on what they found. I asked again at the front desk the next day for a report but none was given to me. It wasn't until the day of my departure that I asked to speak to the management. The housekeeping manager met with me. I showed her the marks on my legs and arms and asked her about the status of their findings. She basically told me they found nothing in the mattress or bedding and that they had turned the matterss; therefore, they concluded that whatever caused these lesions was not due to something in the room. She said that it was obvious to her that I was in a state of discomfort but there was really nothing they could do and that if they learned anything further, they would get in touch with me. I do not feel that this situation was handled well at all. The management could have been more sympathetic and attentive to this issue. This is a high end hotel that prides itself in customer service. They failed miserably in my book.

8  Thank GALsTucson
Reviewed June 23, 2009

The concierge strongly steered me and my colleagues to use the 'car' service to get back to SNA - he said it's cheaper than the cabs and he said the cabs rip you off. The concierge assured me (actually several of them did) that the car accepted AMEX. Surprise! The driver stated, "cash only" once we reached the airport. Separately, my colleague was quoted $40 for the car and the driver charged $45. As far as ground transport, this city is akin to working with Jamaican rip off artists. (By the way, the cab from the airport to the hotel was only $36 - go figure.) The hotel itself is lovely, but don't get a room near the elevator unless you like to hear families with strollers, coolers, etc., bumping, yelling, crying, whining as they wait for the elevators, which are incredibly slow.
The staff was amenable to moving my room to a quieter area down the hall.

1  Thank 12345Colorado
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here, he's in the Marines and he had a 4 day weekend and we decided to stay someplace further away from base. This was a really great location, the Hyatt was gorgeous first of all! Everyone at the front desk was so friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfy! It was definitely a good deal! Disneyland is literally just down the road, there was a nice shopping area nearby as well! I'd say it was a great location, especially if you have a car because there's so many nearby places to go visit! We spent a lot of time in Anaheim, otherwise we went to San Clemente and Huntington beach which were all close by. The one downfall to having a car is that parking is VERY expensive, especially if you're staying for awhile! Other than that though we both loved it! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gundem28

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to having you back as our guest again soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2009

I have stayed at many Hyatt hotels and always thought they were a notch above the Hiltons and Marriotts. Not so. I checked into a room recently and the room smelled of smoke although the front desk supposedly gave me a non-smoking room. The toilet seat had urine on it, the mirrors were dirty. The bathtub soap holder was rusted and the bathtub would not drain. The carpets were dirty with a bunch of white specks on it. We traded for another room but this room's soap holder was also rusted and the bathtub wouldn't drain. The bedsheets were rough and the bed was so uncomfortable. I would say I would never stay at this Hyatt again. Next time I would think twice about fully trusting Hyatt.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank freshpho
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Excellent staff, very clean and comfortable. Valet extra friendly. Disappointed that the pools were not very warm, was planning to hang out an afternoon after Disney but the water was not warm at all. Would be nice if they waived the internet access fee for Hyatt Gold Passport members.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2009

We really appreciate your feedback and suggestions, and are glad to hear that you enjoyed the staff and rooms. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Orange County, and we hope to have you back as our guest!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Hilton Anaheim
#47 of 119 in Anaheim
Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South
Hyatt Place at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center

Been to Hyatt Regency Orange County? Share your experiences!