“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manassas, VA
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

I attended a conference at this hotel the last week in July 2008. My company paid for all but one night of my stay and all of my food and transportation costs. I arrived 2 days early to sightsee. The hotel is very pretty, clean, with a large atrium when you enter, so it’s nice and light and bright. This hotel is both kid friendly and good for meetings and conferences. I was a single female traveling alone for business.

Location

This hotel is convenient to Disneyland, Downtown Disney and Disney’s California Adventure. All are approximately less than 2 miles from the hotel. It took me about 15 minutes to get to Downtown Disney from the hotel on a Thursday at 4:30 pm. It was a $9 cab ride (before tip, no fee for extra people). It is also convenient to the Block at Orange which is also a $9 cab ride in the other direction. Block at Orange is a walkable area with stores and restaurants and a spa called Burke Williams. The concierge can make arrangements for everything you need or give you phone numbers and maps for these places. There are also some restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. Specifically there is an Outback Steakhouse across the street and a Target store.

I had a car for the first two days, so I went to Beverly Hills to walk around and shop and had dinner at Spago. The drive at 4 pm on a Sunday took about an hour and 15 minutes because of traffic.

Rooms

I had a king room on the third floor in the North Tower (367). It was very far from the elevators and ice machine in a very quiet hallway (only one other room next door). The room was large, had a lot of walking around room and a nice sized bathroom with a lot of counter space to put stuff down. It had a standard tub with a shower curtain. The view was of one of the pools and I could not see the fireworks at Disneyland at night (but I could hear them). The hotel does not change towels or sheets unless you call and specifically arrange for housekeeping to do so. I also had to arrange for extra towels because I was only given one face towel and one bath towel when I arrived.

Check in

Check in at 2 pm was easy. No crowds. My room was ready, my sister’s room was not, so they held her bags at the desk until her room was ready (it took about 30 minutes).

Hotel Staff/Customer Service

The hotel staff are very friendly. If I had an issue, it was taken care of. A few times I had to call twice about something, but it was always taken care of to my satisfaction.

Transportation/Parking/Valet Parking/Tour Buses

The hotel has a Disneyland Bus on site that runs every hour until the park closes. They also can arrange for tours that pick you up at the hotel if you don’t want to drive. The tours are listed on the Concierge page of the hotel’s website. I arranged for a tour of Universal and LA through the hotel. Valet Parking is $19 per day and you can go in and out as many times as you want. They also have self-service parking for $14. But for the extra $5, it’s worth it not to have to schlep to your car every time you leave the hotel. Especially if you are going to be schlepping at the park. The front of the building is all windows, so you can see your bus/taxi, etc when it pulls up if you are in line at Starbucks or sitting inside to stay cool.

Restaurants/Bar/Room Service

The hotel has a restaurant called California Grill and a bar that serves the same menu after the restaurant closes. The prices are okay, but food is nothing to rave about, but if you are able, I recommend going somewhere else. I ordered room service several times and it was always delivered in the time specified. It is a little pricey, but the food was good. Starbucks is in the lobby and is open from 6 am to 8 pm. It is a full service Starbucks, but it is slow going in there. Allow for extra time as they take a while when it is busy and it always seemed busy during my stay (I was attending a conference with 400 people and everyone was on line for Starbucks before, during and after the meeting sessions). Pizza Hut is open in the evenings and also has some other food in refrigerator cases.

Gift Shop is limited, has no Disney stuff and is frequently closed for short periods because there is only one person manning the shop.

Conference Meeting Rooms are nice, the sound quality in the meetings was very good as was the projection equipment for slides and video. Conference Food was not that good. Everything was over-seasoned each day at lunch. Breakfast was okay.

Pools. There are two pools in the hotel. One is on the main level and one it with the exercise equipment. Both are a bit small, but have lots of chairs. One pools has some shade from trees, the other has little to no shade.

Concierge services are good. I had a problem with the tour, as the tour list that they offer is not updated, but they took care of the problem for me. I advise you check with the tour company directly to confirm what your tour is and what is included to make sure you book the correct tour with all of the stops promised.

GPS worked fine to get to and from the hotel.

Internet service through the hotel is $10 for wireless, however I had poor signal strength in my room and zero signal in the meeting rooms, even though it says your service is through the entire hotel.

Cell Phone Coverage was good for Verizon, my sister's TMobile was spotty.

Airport Shuttle is $20 to LAX. The airport shuttle stops at a few hotels and then drops you off at the Disneyland Hotel to change buses to go to LAX. My flight was at 1 pm and I took the 9:40 shuttle and barely made it through United baggage check (which requires your bags be checked 45 minutes before flight time) and security. I recommend taking a shuttle that gives you more time so that you are not so rushed for time.

We had an earthquake at the hotel on my first day (5.4 rating). I think the hotel did a good job of keeping low key about it. At first I thought they should make announcements and go around and check on people, but I think by having the staff stay calm and continue with business as usual did a lot to keep guests and non-Californian’s calm. The hotel is on rollers, so very little damage was done. Just some broken water glasses in the meetings rooms.

• Liked — The room size was larger than most hotel rooms
  • Disliked — Minor housekeeping issues that had to be requested more than once
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VaBelle35

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

We arrived early and they had a room available for us immediately! Our room was spacious and clean. It overlooked one of the pools. The valet was worth the extra few dollars compared to the regular daily parking fee. There was a lot going on when we arrived at the hotel (it was on a Sunday)...but since the lobby is so big, it didn't seem overwhelming. The staff was all very helpful. The location was awesome. Close to so much, including a TARGET! The complimentary bus to Disney was great too! My favorite part was the workout room! Small, but awesome equipment and very clean. The pool scene isn't anything special, but there where two to choose from at least. I would stay there again....even if I wasn't there to do Disney and the attractions!

• Liked — The size, nice big, open!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

Anaheim is a strange place - nothing but hotels, fast food outlets and Disneyland. I was there for a convention and was booked by my company into the Hyatt.

Good things - the room was VAST. Absolutely huge. Clean and lovely with nice, quiet aircon and a balcony (which I wasn't allowed onto - windows locked to ensure the guest's "safety" - shame - sort of takes away the point of having a balcony at all!).

The staff were very efficient and helpful - especially the Concierge service (Angela in particular). If you are ever in the Hyatt ask them to book you a massage - I've been massaged in countries all over the world and was astonished by the one I received from April. Absolutely the best I've ever experienced!

Recommended!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank aliceathome
Gilbert, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2008

We moved to this hotel after find a cockroach at our first hotel. The Hyatt is fabulous. Rooms are clean, beds are quite comfortable and the duvets are great!. Our luggage was unloaded and promptly brought up to our room. The Starbucks in the lobby is very convenient . This was our second stay and I don't think we'll stay anyplace else in Anaheim. Definitely worth the cost.

• Liked — clean and comfortable, free disney shuttle
  • Disliked — wireless internet charge-$10/day, refrigerator charge$25 and parking charge-$15/day
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank kidsgalore
Atlanta Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

We stayed here with kids on a family vacation to Disneyland. Very clean, great price online through Hyatt, Starbucks and Pizza Hut Express in lobby. Shuttle every half hour to Disney.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Hailey Jane
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

WOW! We stayed here in early June for our DisneyLand vacation. There were 6 of us traveling together -- my husband, 2 kids (4 and 7), mother-in-law, and my mother. We booked the 2 bedroom/ 2 bath queen suite which was WONDERFUL! The first room had 2 queen beds, perfect for the grandmothers to stay, and the kids each stayed with one of them. They had their own tv and bathroom. There was a living room area with a small sofa and desk. In the tv amoire there was the tv, a microwave, and a refridgerator. The second room had a king size bed, and bathroom, and own tv. All rooms were spacious and we were not crowded--- super layout for our 4 adults and 2 kids.
The shuttle to DisneyLand was PERFECT!! We were able to catch it each morning, and they always had plenty of room -- 1 advantage to Hyatt is that they are 1st on the route and then go to Crown Plaza Hotel, so plenty of room but full each morning. The shuttle drops off right at the front entrance to the park and picks up every 30 minutes.
We also used the Starbucks in the lobby, and 1 night the PizzaHut Express came in handy, as we were too tired to go any where for a meal. There is a Outback Steakhouse right across the street and a Target. The Target was great, since we could walk over and buy bottled water to put in the room refridge and then carried in our bags to the parks. We also were able to buy a gallon of milk, some plastic bowls and a box of cereal. That helped with breakfast each morning.
The kids and my husband used the pool and hot tub, nice basic layout. Nothing too fancy but the kids were thrilled. I enjoyed the tables in the shade of the tall palm trees.
The front desk employees were very helpful with directions, and such. Disney has a manned desk to help with suggestions and anything related to Disney. Very helpful! I was impressed that when we had moved on to Huntington Beach for the 2nd half of our vacation and realized that my daughters swimsuit had been left at Orange County Hyatt, the staff was very helpful in helping us get it back. The housekeeper had found it and they had it waiting for us in a plastic bag when we returned on our way to the airport. The front desk clerk wouldn't give me the suit until I showed my ID to prove that it belonged to me (they had my name and info from my phone call when I tried to locate the suit). Very helpful!!!
I saw some comments on other reviews about the rooms being disappointing, but as a person who has been all over the world, I would say that the rooms are older, but clean. The beds were very comfortable and we LOVED our stay!
I would stay here again in a heartbeat and will tell my friends about it too.

Stayed June 2008
3 Thank h-towner
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

I was here attending a convention held at the hotel. Our luggage was lost by the airline and the hotel went above and beyond to make sure we were okay until our luggage arrived. The free shuttle service to and from Disneyland was great since we didn't have a rental car for our stay. It provided us an opportunity to still visit Downtown Disney without an added expense of transportation. The hotel had a couple of restaurants close by and a Target right across the street.
Clean room and very comfortable beds. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed February 2008
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
Hotel Indigo Anaheim
#4 of 118 in Anaheim
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,073 reviews

Been to Hyatt Regency Orange County? Share your experiences!