“Savori is at 7 Seas and even more awesome than at the original location!!!”
Review of 7 Seas Fish House - CLOSED

7 Seas Fish House
Cuisines: Seafood
SoCal
“Savori is at 7 Seas and even more awesome than at the original location!!!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Savori executive Chef, Michael Pham, continues to surprise and delight your appetite!!! & Seas is a sports bar type restaurant in old town Garden Grove, CA. Michael's detail to high quailty, freshness, and delightful flavors is amazing. My favorite burger is the Desk while my husband's favorite burger is the Creeper. The Tapas (appetizers) are outstanding!!! We always MUST have the Tom Yum Ravioli, and Shrimp Rolls! Then there are the wonderful Asian Wings and the new Far East Nachos!! Michael is our favorite Chef!!!

• Visited January 2013

Chino Hills
“Ownership Change?”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I reviewed this place last year. I was happy with my experience then, and have returned a couple of times since then. However, my recent experience was a disappointment.
The menu changed. It looks like they are featuring Vietnamese fare. My wife ordered the filet mignon cubes and I ordered the rib eye. The waitress said they were out of rib eye, and would I like to substitute the filet mignon instead. I would have ordered that anyway, if it was on the menu, so that substitution was a plus.
My wife's meal was brought out first. Rather than eat alone, she gave me a few bites. It was excellent. A couple of times I was informed that my meal would be ready soon. By the time that my wife was done with her meal, a different waitress apologized and explained that the steak takes longer to cook, but should be ready soon [???]. Note: I ordered it medium rare, and my wife is a slow eater.
Some time later, my meal was brought out. It was very good, except that the meat was salty. I am not sure if that was intended, but I would have preferred it without the salt.
They apologized further and offered a discount. When the check was brought out, there was a discount of about $4.50. Okay, but I would have preferred to pay full price and eaten at the same time as my wife (and sooner, as well).
I think that I am done here.

• Visited January 2013
Chino Hills
“Excellent filet mignon”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is a sports bar, so my expectations were not particularly high. I ordered the filet mignon with mash. I was pleasantly surprised. First, the presentation was impressive. But the taste was just great. It was juicy and cooked perfectly. It was delicious. I will go back.

My wife had the shrimp and rice. She thought that it was excellent. I tasted it and thought that it was pretty good (perhaps not excellent).

The prices were very reasonable. I think my dinner was about $17. I have paid more than twice as much elsewhere and not had a meal as good. Plus, we went during happy hour, and they had $2 beers.

The downside was that the service was a little bit slow. But the waiter was pleasant and the food made up for it. It also helped that I was not in a rush. I would caution you if you are in a hurry.

The area is interesting. It is an old downtown area. The street was closed that evening for a car show. But the parking is in the back and accessed from a different street anyways, so no trouble. We went for an after dinner walk. The street had some interesting restaurants and shops.

Overall, our stop at the 7 Seas made it a very nice evening.

• Visited September 2012
Newport Beach, CA
“Upon further review....”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

About a year ago I reviewed this restaurant. Last week I found myself at a conference in Anaheim and I decided to revisit 7 Seas Fishhouse.

I had heard that they had changed their menu. They seem to have gone from a more 'upscale' restaurant to a more 'casual' establishment in terms of the menu. IMO, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the items from last years' menu remain (including the entree that I ordered last year and enjoyed). Since I was there last they have added an sushi bar as well and more asain dishes.

On this particular evening I started with 1/2 dozen Kumamoto oysters ($11.95). Once again, like last year, very fresh and tasty. However, this time they were served with the standard horseradish, cocktail sauce and lemons. I liked the variety of sauces last year but, all in all, the standard sauce was just fine.

From there, I moved on to sushi. I started with the standard California Roll ($4.50 at the Happy Hour price) then went to the Yellowtail ($4.95) and finished with the salmon roe ($4.50). All were good to very good. Personally, I liked the salmon roe the best. A base of sticky rice inside a seaweed wrap and then filled with salty, popping salmon roe, I found it very tasty. Wyatt, the sushi chef was very informative and a fun guy to talk to. He did a very nice job.

One of the differences from my last visit was that the service was much better. Patti, my server, knew the menu well and could make recommendations based upon the information that I gave her and the questions I asked. She was timely with her service but she didn't 'hover', which I appreciate.. She also had a nice personallity and was fun to talk to.

7 Seas still has their happy hour menu with things like $1.00 Taco Tuesday and $.59 Wings Wednesday. There are additional items (like the California Roll I mentioned above that have special prices) during the Happy Hour.

One disapointment was that the restaurant no longer had the $4.00 Pino Griego house wine that I enjoyed last year. As a result I ordered a $7.00 Sauvigon Blanc which was acceptable.

The restaurant seems to haved moved a little closer to a sports bar atmosphere but, for me that is OK. One of the attractions, personally, is the ability to walk in, get a good table and watch a sporting event if I want to. Additionally, they apparently have music and dancing with a DJ on weekends, although I didn't stay for that.

The car show on Friday evenings is still going on and, this visit, I saw a fully restored '62 Studebaker Avanti which is very rare; there were probably about 5000 total of these cars produced during its' lifespam ('62-'63) but it was a beautiful car that could have saved the Studebaker Car Company had they been able to produce it in larger numbers. There are only a couple of thousand (at best) of these cars remaining so you never know what you're going to see, even at a small event. The area has a lot of charm with antique shops, boutiques and live music so it's a nice place to stroll off the calories after dinner.

7 Seas has free parking in a city lot behind their back door. They have also changed their website to: www.7seaspotsbar.com

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank #1remdog
Garden Grove, California
“scipp it”
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Heard very good things about 7 Seas, so my husband and I selected it for our specicial date night together. It looked okay going in , but the evening went steadily down hill. I"m not sure how long it took to have our order taken. But I know I had to track down what looked like a manager to even get a waitress. Then we got our drinks and waited forever again. The place was only moderately busy! We got our entrees before our appetizer. The food was okay, about the same as the local Hawiaan B.B.Q. As for the appetizer??. We both sampled it severarl times, but could not tell what it was? We gave up! Service was the worst I have ever had. Food very questionable. Atmosphere like an old pizza place, except with a fish tank. Plenty of waitresses, but no one waiting tabels.

• Visited March 2011