Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Let me start by saying that we are SPG gold and stayed this past weekend. We have stayed at the other Sheraton down the street on a prior Disney trip, but decided to give Sheraton Garden Grove a shot since it was only 3,000 points a night versus 10,000 at the other Sheraton hotel. Since there was a free shuttle to Disney we figured we'd give it a try. We checked in and the lobby was very nice. We were given keys to floor 6 (SPG floor) and headed up the elevator. We were immediately greeted by a horrible stench - smelled like a sweaty gym and the hallway carpet was totally soiled (like HUGE stains all over). We went into our room and unfortunately the room also smelled like nasty sweat (think GYM smell). We went back down and asked to be moved. They were not overly apologetic, but moved us to a different room on the same floor. Luckily, the new room smelled fine, but the carpets were still DISGUSTING. I mean I know hotel carpets deep down are never going to be clean but to have HUGE black stain marks everywhere, it makes no sense. What happened on floor 6? Can they not get a steam cleaner? The room overall looked clean, but the nasty carpet ruined it for us. Luckily I brought flip flops as there is NO way I would have walked barefoot on those stains. On a positive note, the breakfast was very good and very fairly priced and the shuttle was super easy and convenient. If they would just CLEAN their carpets, this hotel would be an amazing steal. I saw other reviews where other people mentioned the carpet too - come on guys, clean your carpets and I bet you get a lot more 5 star reviews. Lastly, I have to gripe about the guy at the front desk. On our last day we asked him to call a cab so we could go to John Wayne Airport. We took a cab on the way over, and it was only $33 in HEAVY rush hour traffic. He says to my fiance "Oh, I will call you a towncar instead, its the exact SAME price as a cab." A few minutes later, in comes this clearly off the books driver (it was a mini van not a towncar) and we see him walk in, ask for the hotel staff who called him, then hands him cash (clearly the hotel guy got a cut). I thought it was a little shady, but we got in anyway. Since it was 5pm on a Sunday, there was NO traffic and it took us HALF the time to get to the airport and it did when we landed on Friday night. When we get out, the guy says $45. How is $45 the SAME cost as a cab that would have been way less then $33 given the lack of traffic. Super sketchy. I'm sure that extra $15 they charged us went straight to the hotel staff. Not professional and we were dumb for trusting him and not insisting on a cab.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lauren7781
Chris_Halderson-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

We appreciate the feedback as we are always trying to improve. Our customer service scores have actually improved greatly this year, so we are surely disappointed that and sorry about the carpets; we do clean them on a regular rotating basis. We'll also review the taxi process with the entire team.
We thank you for the opportunity to improve further.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The only reason I didn't rate this as excellent is because the parking is an additional fee. (Seems to be that way everywhere we went in southern California, but why not just include it in the price?)

We had a really great experience with the Sheraton Garden Grove. The hotel is actually very new and beautiful. We enjoyed two meals in the hotel restaurant and everyone enjoyed the food and service. The customer service at the front desk was great. Everyone was very friendly and we had a lot of fun joking around with Franklin. He was a ray of sunshine! We purchased our Disney tickets at the hotel and had all of our questions answered about pricing and procedures, etc. The shuttle was great - always on time and very convenient.

The rooms were beautiful and very spacious. The bathroom had ample counter space and housekeeping did a great job replenishing the towels and keeping the room tidy. The beds were heavenly. BEST BED EVER on a vacation!!!! And our daughter loved the pool and hot tub :)

Loved our stay here and wished we had a longer visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Chris_Halderson-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Well we sure do appreciate the kind words. We'll also be sure to recognize Franklin for his exceptional customer service- he is one of our best and coincidentally just won the employee of the month award!
Most hotels in this area do charge a fee for parking. We do try to keep our parking fee comparable to others in the area.
The Garden Grove Team

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Paid extra for parking. Our room was far from elevator in fact the complete other side of hotel. I stayed alone with my daughters on a visit to Disneyland. It was safe but I don't even know if the had a continental breakfast because the customer service was s bit lacking:( I think the pool is open 24 hours though, so that could be nice if you pull in late and the kids are bouncing off walls:)

• Stayed: June 2013
Chris_Halderson-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

We are sorry to hear we didn't meet expectations this trip. Our customer service scores are in fact much improved this year, however we will continue to work towards 100% satisfaction.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I booked The Sheraton blindly through Hotwire. It was one of those options where you don't don't which hotel you have booked until you pay. We were delighted that The Sheraton is what was given however we were not familiar with the brand as much. Before arriving I went online and joined the Starwoods rewards program/

Upon arrival the staff was upbeat, postive, smiling.. (Just as I would like my employees to look, I am a hotel manager for two large casino properties in Lake Tahoe). The young lady that checked us in was extremely pleasant. I even commented to her that I saw how often the GM responded to feedback on Tripadvisor. Another employee chimed in that they are always on top it! our agent explained all the amenities and the hotel to a tee. I tipped the front desk agent generously and we were on our way.

We were given room 722 on the club level which was awesome to put it mildly. The room was clean, comfortable, spacious, and exceeded our expectations. The bed.. oh.. the bed. This was the most comfortable hotel bed we have stayed in. Kudos to Sheraton! Where can we buy everything from the pillows to the mattress to the bedding?

The perks of being a Starwood member certainly helped me give this property a stellar review.
Breakfast everyday consisting of quality eggs, bacon, sausage, assorted juices and coffee really helped kick start our daily activities. The morning staff there was always attentive and polite.
The evening appetizers were a nice treat as well. Can i come back for another quesodilla. Only negative I could "pick on" would be that on one evening as it was just my wife and I and the Sheraton staff member in the lounge, he changed to channel to the spanish speaking channel and started watching soccer. We were not watching the tv at the time.. but seriously no big deal. There is a tv where I work as well and sometimes you just need to catch a score right?

The bartender at the lobby bar was quick and funny.. Stop in for a beer and a chat before you catch your shuttle to the park! For the most part, all the shuttle drivers were awesome, and contrary to many reviews I found the pick up location a breeze. Just exit and enter by the pool, not the lobby. Disney movies played on all the shuttles except one. There was one driver that had gangster rap on the radio. My wife and I kind of dropped our jaws when Tupac started playing but made for a fun ride back. I believe the shuttles are outside contractors so this should not reflect negatively at all upon The Sheraton and did not affect my review.

Check out was quick and easy. I was somewhat dissapointed that at check out, the agent did not offer to bring down the bed or arrange breakfast for us at home.. Just kidding. Sheraton helped make our first trip away with out our three children a blast and did not make us feel guilty in the least bit for coming to Disneyland with out our children. However we will be coming back. We WILL be staying at The Sheraton Garden Grove. Good job and kudos to all staff and management.

Room Tip: Join Starwood! Tip your hotel staff!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RHeffelfinger
Chris_Halderson-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

It's nice to be recognized for the hard work we've been doing this year to improve our customer service, now in the top tier of all Sheratons in North America. We certainly appreciate the excellent recommendations and generous review and look forward to being of service again.

We'll be sure to share these comments with our team at our all associate luncheon this week!

The Entire Garden Grove team

Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Garden Grove in May 2013. The location is great for Disneyland, if you dont have small kids with you. It is not walking distance, but there is a shuttle ($3 per day) to the park. Rooms were nice (ask for a fridge), across from Target and in the same parking lot as Joes crab shack, Red Robin, Outback and a pizza place. If you are doing other things besides Disney, the location is great, you dont have to drive through all the disney traffic to get to the freeways. They have a breakfast buffet, but it seemed a little pricey. We bought some fruit from target for some mornings, and also walked across the street to Coco's one morning.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris_Halderson-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

We are fortunate to be the newest hotel in the area and next to so many nationally recognized restaurants and within 10 minutes of the Disney theme parks. Best wishes for a return visit!
The Garden Grove team

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family and I stayed here for one night before moving onto the Disneyland property. It is a nice hotel relatively close to the theme parks. There is a shuttle that runs between the hotel and Disneyland because it is a few blocks away. I wouldn't advise the walk because of the length and the traffic on the major streets in between. The rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable. The beds were very comfortable. There is a restaurant on site that is very affordable and offers good breakfast selections. I can't speak for lunch or dinner but it was great for two small children and didn't set me back as much as I'm used to paying at a hotel. Overall, this was a good experience on par with other Starwood properties I have stayed at.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Many of our guests do confuse us with a Westin property, Starwoods upscale brand, due to the elegant lobby, sweet sleeper white bedding package and more. Appreciate the suggestions, feedback and most importantly the 4 star review!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Garden Grove is a convenient hotel to stay in Anaheim and a good value. It is a place to stay when you will spend most of your time in the Parks. The $12 parking fee is not appropriate, especially with the large parking lot that they have. The rooms are nice and the Club Lounge is of very high quality. The pool is a letdown and you will not want to spend time there. The front desk staff seems bored and really do not care if you are a Platinum member. I was the only person in line to check in and they decided to let me wait 15 minutes while they finished their instruction to a new employee. And that happened in front of the Platinum line. There was no acknowlegement and they seemed very content to me wait. That was a big diappointment and rude. Still it is a good place to stay for the value received.

Room Tip: I stayed here many times and am Platinum and never received a "good room". I dont think...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Well we certainly are sorry to hear about the slow check-in. Typically we receive very high scores for our customer service and will review this with our team post haste. Thank you for the honest feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
#3 of 19 in Garden Grove
Sheraton Park Hotel at the Anaheim Resort
Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove
Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim - South

Been to Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel? Share your experiences!