“Pleasant and Affordable Christmas Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel

Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
San Francisco
“Pleasant and Affordable Christmas Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

I booked this hotel about a week before I was heading to Disneyland, but still managed to find one of the best deals on the "Disney Strip". I was a little nervous because the deal required me to pay in full for the room.

When we arrived I realized that we were definitely not within walking distance of the theme park, which really ended up being a blessing in disguise. It was much quieter than the area around the park and had a Target right across the street in case we forgot anything. Besides, the $3/day shuttle was more than convenient.

As I was checking in a lady was checking out next to me complaining about a stolen wallet. I definitely lean on the "you probably lost it" side of things, but never a fun thing hear when you just arrive. I also didn't have any issues whatsoever and I found the staff to be very pleasant.

The room itself bordered on luxury. Extremely clean, nice furniture, comfortable beds, great bathroom. We ordered room service for our Christmas breakfast and it was definitely above the standard fare. My daughter and I had a truly great stay.

They also offered shuttle and park ticket convenience services to avoid the lines at the park. There weren't any discounts (which I could have had if I had been prepared to purchase them earlier) but after arriving at Disneyland and seeing those lines, worth the cost.

Now for the mediocre: This is more of a complaint to all hotels these days, but it just kills me; it's the nickel-and-diiming. I had to pay $12 a day for parking in a lot that was at least half empty. I get that hotels need to make up for some of these discounts, but its just starting to feel absurd. I travel a ton and these are sometimes the things that make me decide to stay at another hotel.

As a side note: I read a couple of other reviews that occurred during my own stay there, and I have to say, my sentiments were totally different. Everything seemed so smooth on my end from the check in to the shuttle to the check out. It was just my daughter and myself, which could be why. I do agree that the front desk staff needs a tad more work on their hospitality. They weren't rude, but they were indifferent. Didn't really bother me but I noticed.... but it WAS the busiest weekend for the park for the year.

Room Tip: Fourth floor, non-park side was quiet. Not a great view, but it did have one.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Dear "Pleasant & affordable Christmas Vacation",

Thank you for your comments regarding your Christmas Vacation spent at the Sheraton Garden Grove. I am happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the surroundings & the amenities that we have to offer.

YES.....crazy busy week for us !!! Thank you for your kind words regarding the Hotel & Service you received.

We look forward to having you back soon.

Rick B. Ross

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

I stayed here new years eve, 12/31/11.  The common areas are well kept. However, the room I was assigned has seen better days.

The smell of mold hit me like a wall of bricks when I entered the room. I immediately turned on the A/C to circulate the air in the room. The pungent smell took over every square inch of the room. I eventually flagged down a cleaning lady and she provided me with air-freshner - nothing helped! The cleaning lady admitted she knew of the issue in my room and did not know the cause of the smell. She believed my room should not have been rented out.

I tried resolving the issue with the manager and was only offered breakfast for two, despite have a party of four.  Moving to another room was not an option as the hotel was at capacity.

I understand some issues arise unexpectedly and can't immediately be resolved. However, to not listen to a customer or appreciate the gravity of the problem is insulting.

I will never stay here again. This location is a disgrace to the Sheraton brand.

• Stayed December 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear "Never staying here again!",

I believe the smell that you encountered was the Carpet as we just shampooed that room & several others in anticipation of such high occupancy on NYE. So sorry that we could not move you as you previously stated, the Hotel was sold out.

My apologies for the actions of the Manager on Duty for not recognizing there was 4 people in your party & not 2 as suspected.

We do hope that you give the Sheraton Garden Grove another opportunity to serve you. This is not indicative of the way that we operate our Hotel as you can clearly see by all of the positive comments on Tripadvisor prior to your Review.

St. George, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed here over Christmas break while taking our family to Disneyland. The rooms were nice and comfortable, however the staff was rude and difficult to deal with. In addition parking was extremely difficult as half of the parking lot was blocked off by cones reserving spots for valet parking. If you don't mind paying the extra to valet park this is not a problem but if you want to self park it's frustrating to see so many empty parking spaces and have to circle the hotel several times to find an available spot. There is a shuttle service every half an hour from the hotel to Disneyland. We paid for this shuttle service, NOT a good Idea! There were always many more people attempting to ride the shuttle than there was room for, forcing a shoving match by the guests in line just to get on. Those of us with manners (and/or small children) who would stand back and wait for our turn didn't get on the shuttle. We waited for over an hour at the hotel as two shuttles came and filled without room for those who were unwilling to be rude and push their way onto the shuttle. We attempted to have a conversation with the hotel staff about this problem (suggesting to just creating a line instead of a mob) but they said they had nothing to do with the shuttle service and couldn't help (though they were the ones who collected our money for the service $3 per person, per day). When we spoke with the driver he said talk to the hotel, he is just the driver. Also they advertised this shuttle as a "private shuttle" but it did make stops at other hotels. Had the shuttle only serviced our hotel it would have been just right, but including other hotel stops made it ridiculous. There are PLENTY of nice rooms all over Anaheim and the surrounding area where the staff is nice, the rooms are comfortable, and you don't have to deal with all of the problems this hotel seems to have. unless you have no other options... DON'T STAY HERE.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Matthew B
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Dear "Not worth the frustration",

Please accept my sincere apologies for the experience you incurred with our Shuttle Service. Yes, they are an outside Organization that services several Hotels in the Garden Grove area.....but that doesn't excuse the fact that my Staff nor their their Staff could have been more accomodating with your requests.

Unfortunately the week that you stayed with us is "peak season" as you can imagine & I assume all of the Shuttles incurred similar challenges with other Hotels. Once again, I wish this experience could have been more positive for you & your family. As you can see by the several Reviews prior to yours, many guests rave about our service & the Hotel.

Please give us another opportunity to make a 1st impression the next time you stay in Garden Grove, please stay with the Sheraton. I can assure you the outcome will be much better.

Veneta, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

This was our second trip to the Sheraton Garden Grove, and like the first time, our stay was PERFECT! We arrived later in the evening, and were greeted with a warm welcome and a very quick check-in. The hotel’s lobby is very simple, yet nice and inviting, and best of all CLEAN! We have stayed at many Disneyland area hotels, and for what you get this is our favorite. The room was very warm and inviting. We had two queen beds, which were very comfortable. The linens were also a nice amenity that I truly appreciated. When I crawled into bed for the night, it felt like home. The sheets smelled and felt clean and were very soft. I never felt like it was GROSS and DINGY, like in so many other hotels. The bathroom was stocked with enough towels, which were BIG and soft too! The bathrooms are large and make getting ready in the morning with a teenage daughter easy, as we both could do our hair and makeup at the same time. The free waters for coffee and tea in the morning are also an added bonus. Even though we did not use it on this stay the room has ample storage for clothing, if you are staying for more than a day or two. We used the valet this time, though not a typical valet service, they took care of us in a timely manner. (What I mean by this is there is not a person standing there to greet you, but the front desk is always helpful and gets someone there quickly) All in all, this hotel is great, we will use it for all future trips to the Anaheim area!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Dear "Love this Hotel!",

Thank for your positive feedback regarding your stay at the Sheraton Garden Grove, I will certainly share these with my Team Members !!!!

I am very happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed all of the amenities that the Hotel has to offer as well.

Thanks again & we look forward to seeing you again soon !!!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

When I tried to take a picture of the manager to post on the iTunes to tell our nightmarish story, he threatened to call the police. .we had reserved an accessible room because my
poor niece is disabled. Sheraton promised a king bed and a queen rollaway. We got there and they were out of rollaways and they also were short blankets for us to sleep on the floor with. They were our of towels also when we first got there and in the morning the restaurant was out of milk. If this is the only hotel available, I suggest you go camping instead. Certainly nobody with a disability should go as they clearly don't care about
disabled people. Sleeping on the floor was hard on these two middle aged ladies, especially with the heater in the room being broken.

• Stayed December 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AZChagirl
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Dear "Don't Stay Here",

Unfortunately when you book your Reservation through a Third Party Travel Agency, the room type is not guarenteed. I apologize for not being able to accomodate your request upon check in.....but the Hotel was sold out & the room type you needed was not available.

We certainly do not discriminate against Handicapped people & accomodate EVERY request if possible. This does become difficult though when the Hotel is sold out & our available Inventory is minimized.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies & hopefully you will give the Sheraton Garden Grove another opportunity to make a 1st impression.

Suwanee, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton, with a winning bid on priceline (56/nt), saving me over 99 dollars a night! This was back in April, and I am seriously considering doing priceline again so I can get this hotel. Flawless experience, from start to finish. This is a spotless hotel, and the employees are all so kind, including the gift shop, restaurant, etc etc.
The room was wonderful, and the bathroom door locked (simple feature, but unusual for me). I stayed at the Hyatt Regency (wonderful), Hilton, etc, and the Sheraton is just as great if not better.

There is an Outback restaurant just a few steps away, and a Target across the street. The pool is great too, and was seldom crowded at all, and I visited during my Spring Break.

Thanks, Sheraton! will be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Dear "Wonderful Experience !!!! Will be back !!",

Thank you for your kind words about Team, they will be very excited to hear your Review as they strive for excellence every day & this kind of feedback makes it all worthwhile.

Yes, it is very convenient for our Guests to have a Target right across the street so you can stock up on Disney "goodies" or anything you may have forgotten during your travels. We look forward to having you back once again this Spring....thanks again.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed at Sheraton Garden Grove this past week with my family and cannot say enough about how lovely the overall experience was considering Disney was insanley packed over the weekend due to the holidays. It was wonderful coming back each night to a spotless hotel with extrememly friendly staff. And the food in the restaurant was outstanding. I was fortunate to meet the GM and he treated each guest he greeted like he was welcoming them to his home. If you are taking a trip to Disney or are in town on business, I would not stay anywhere else. I come out every year and this hotel has my loyalty.

Room Tip: Just ask! If occupancy is not crazy and the rooms are available they will probably upgrade you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,123 reviews
Sheraton Park Hotel at the Anaheim Resort
Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim Resort – Convention Center
Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove

Been to Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel? Share your experiences!