“Dreadful reception”

Ranked #1 of 1 Garberville B&B and Inns
East Sussex, England
“Dreadful reception”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We recently stayed at this motel. The guy on the desk had to woken up by an assistant. He was disinctly unfriendly. He refused to answer the door to subsequent would be guests & had to be woken up again. Other guests found him also to be unhhelpful.

The rooms were not good value although ours was at least clean. We could not wait to get out of Garberville the next morning as it sruck us as a pretty run down place with drugs a real problem.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kent, Washington
Reviewed June 25, 2010

On a recent driving vacation (June 2010) we stayed in a mixed bag of motels price wise. We ended up in the Humbolt Redwoods Inn and were appalled by the condition of the room. Our first clue all was not well should have been the unfriendliness of the man who booked us in. After entering the room we would have gladly gone back to the office for our money back had we not been so exhausted from driving and decided to tough it out for the one night.
On the Official Website of Humbolt County the Humbolt Redwoods Inn claims the rooms are newly remodeled. This was not true of the room we stayed in nor of the room next door. It was obvious to us that even the basic general maintenance and cleaning one would suppose is a standard requirement of this industry in the off season hadn’t been done in many a year. The bedroom smelled heavily of mildew: the carpets were very dirty/stained. The mattress on the bed was as flat as a pancake showing every hour of use/misuse since it went into service. Our guess was circa 1980. I had to kill termites on the bed stand. I steeled myself against looking for additional bugs elsewhere so wrapped myself in my car blanket before lying down for the night. Unfortunately I'm still scratching the bites I got on my arm and chest despite precautions. The bedroom and bathroom walls were badly scuffed and dirty. The shower showed lots of scum and the grout was moldy, probably because the bathroom fan didn't work. From the quantity of cobwebs and dust hanging from it I'd say it had been broken for a long time. I definitely hadn't been cleaned for several seasons. The walls surrounding the shower stall were crumbling in spots. There was a reddish brown substance spattered on the wall over the toilet and on the shelf above holding the towels - I chose to assume this was only ketchup! This inn claims free wireless internet. We were given the code to connect but couldn’t find any wireless connection in range so I wondered if such a connection even existed given all the other problems with this establishment!
The pool was covered in leaves and trash with a stagnant water look to it. The ice machine standing outside was also very old judging by the internal workings after opening the dirty lid. There was no method to scoop up ice cubes so was glad we didn’t need ice for drinks!
There was coffee available in the room and the fridge did work.
In the morning the parking lot emptied around the crack of dawn! During the stampede to get out of there, the family in the next room asked us if their expectations were too high or was this the worst place to stay? They had a nice van conversion and I elicited a chuckle out of them saying if I’d known their van was free I’d have rented that for the night instead.
I’m flabbergasted there are two ratings on this website listing the Humbolt Redwoods Inn as excellent and good value for the money. One states that she stays there often on business. I find these statements lack credibility. If those two reviews tempt you to give this place the benefit of the doubt I beg you to RESIST IT! We found plenty of other places on our trip with just as competitive rates, pleasant staff and standards of cleanliness in their rooms etc which put this place to shame.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank delayedpioneer

Travelers are raving about these Garberville hotels

san francisco
Reviewed February 26, 2010

As a sales rep I have stayed here many times over several years while out on my service route. I always get a clean, quiet, pleasant room with good wireless at a fair rate. Though I work for a corporation, I like to support small family businesses. This one offers a welcoming small town atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Saratoga, CA
Reviewed October 19, 2009

On a roadrip around northern Calif. at the end of Sept., my mother, sister, and I were pleasantly surprised to find this modest, family-owned motel on the edge of Garberville. Included in the extremely reasonable rate were most of the amenities found at much higher-priced inns including: a/c, cable TV, coffee maker, fridge, phone, and swimming pool. The freshly made beds were comfortable, the bathrooms spotless with clean towels, and although close to the highway, the rooms were relatively quiet. What made our stay especially memorable was the wealth of information about the local area gained from conversations with the personable owner. An added bonus was its proximity to Amillia's, a wonderful take-out cafe about a block away on Melville Rd. and a great crafts shop, Eagle's Perch, on Redwood Drive. We enjoyed ourselves so much we stayed two nights!

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank Descriva20
USA
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Given that this was a small town, we thought the best western was very overpriced and found a nice deal on a room here. The real surprise came when we took the comforter off the bed and noticed what i can only describe as the remainders of large amounts of previous "fluids discharge" on the bedsheets. The place smelled like a skunk and even after we covered the bed in towels (we paid for the room and the staff was nowhere to be found) we barely slept because the bed was extremely uncomfortable.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nationalparkster
Blaine, Washington
Reviewed June 21, 2009

After a long day of traveling on the California Hwy 1 along the coast, we ended up in Garberville for the night. We initally tried to stay at the Best Western, but they were booked and we ended up at the Humboldt Redwoods Inn. The price was ok, but the room was horrible. The floor was stained and we didn't want to take off our shoes. The bed sat on plywood and the bedding was stained and full of holes. The bathroom seemed ok until we took showers and noticed the shower curtin was covered in mold. The air condioner unit was very noisey. Also no internet, breakfast, or alarm clock. Not recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank milkergirl1
Taipei,Taiwan
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Just finished a redwood national park tour with my family.
We stayed in this motel only for one night but I regretted...... we should have stayed there longer!
No fancy there but all decent stuff. The swimming pool is an amazing surprise to us. The boss and his wife are very nice and helpful.
It's a pity they don't have online reservation.
A quiet and spacious three queen beds suites costs $125+tax. No breakfast.
My only complaint is no adsl.
We would love to stay there again.

• Liked — staff and swimming pool
  • Disliked — internet access
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank mickchiu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garberville
Benbow Historic Inn
Benbow Historic Inn
#1 of 5 in Garberville
Best Western Plus Humboldt House Inn
The Shelter Cove Oceanfront Inn
Dean Creek Resort
Dean Creek Resort
#1 of 1 in Redway

Been to Humboldt Redwoods Inn? Share your experiences!