“Old, rundown, dirty!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Garberville
Sherwood Forest Motel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Garberville
“Old, rundown, dirty!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

This place is disgusting. Me and my boyfriend stayed here on our cross country trip. The room probably felt dirtier than it was because of the lack of any updating since the place was built. The bed was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on which they may have found in a dumpster before the place was built. Stay in any of the three other hotels in this town if you can! I will say the people in the office were friendly but it doesn't make up for the dump!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Itsmekt55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Middletown, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

Too old, musty, moldy, and creepy. Ants, noise, spiders, filthy old carpet. Barely friendly staff. Will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandrasparrow

Travelers are raving about these Garberville hotels

Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I've stayed in third world country accommodations which were better than this hotel. I should've known upon check in when the clerk stated "this is so busy, I didn't sign up for this" having to help two more of us after checking the person in front of us. Whoo hoo, that IS overwhelming. When we got to our room, the first thing which didn't work was the bathroom light switch. Which was probably best. The clerk told us to "giggle" the light switch until it came on. When it did, it flickered from off to low. Then the bathroom window didn't open. We asked to switch rooms. The next place was just as shabby: torn/chipped bathroom linoleum, cracked tiles in shower/tub, poor wall spackle repair, very cheap shower head, 1980's cabin style/gold guilded (yep!) decor and the oh-so-wonderful brick beds! Wow! The only good thing the kids liked was the UNheated pool which should've been heated since it was about 90 degrees that day but the hotel has a HUGE tree which shades it. Um, ok. The only good thing I can say is it had cable for the kids (was that a tube TV we had?), towels (at least they were white) and TP. Oh, and we loved the added touch of the flora & fauna of several large spiders crawling around (for the love of Pete! Get an exterminator). Trust me. Pay the money and stay at the Best Western in town. It's worth the extra $50 per night!!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank meirishgal
Concord, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

I have not stayed here yet but I just had the nicest experience booking. At the last minute I decided to go to Garberville for a big event. Most places where either booked or had a 2 night min stay. The person booking bent the rule and gave me a room for one night when I'm sure the room could have been rented for the two night min. I even got an early check in! Looking forward to my stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 5vacations
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

I didn't expect much considering it's quite an old motel and I can usually function well despite the decor or amenities, but let's just say non of us removed our socks or crocs the night we stayed. I thought the rate was so over priced. The bed/not the sheets, but the bed had collapsed below and springs were showing, the carpet was dingy and smelly. We had to go buy a can of fabreeze. When I went to use the shower in the morning the shower head flew off and hit me. I hate to be rude, but it gave me the creeps. We found a Best Western the next town over the next night for the same rate and it was a palace. We should have planned ahead and made a reservation at the Best Western in town, that is my advice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

We spent one night at the Sherwood Forest Motel last month on a trip through California. We stopped in Garberville as it is the largest town just south of Avenue of the Giants, where we planned to visit the next day. The desk clerk was very helpful, and we paid $77 (incl. tax) for a king size room. The room itself was kinda sketchy - it smelled weird when we opened the door, all of the furnishings were very old and worn, the mattress left quite a bit to be desired, but it was clean, had laundry facilities on site, and we were able to walk to all the local restaurants and the grocery store. Our room was down in the lower building, which backs up to some woods, and there was a little waterfall out the back window.

I don't know if I would stay here again because my back was killing me the next day due to the softness of the bed, but it was definitely the most interesting motel we stayed in on our trip!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LizzleC
Arlington, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

The location is nice. It was quiet and serene. The pool and hot tub were unavailable. Not sure why. The pool was full and the water was blue. The staff was friendly and helpful. The town is quaint. The room was clean. The bed and pillows were hard as a rock. I woke up with a back ache. The room included a refrigerator and microwave as well as a coffee pot. One good comment, the coffee packet included liquid creamer instead of the powdered stuff that is usually included. There is no hair dryer. All furniture is dated but servicable. There was water damage on some of the furniture and on the ceiling. The TV channels are limited. They did have wifi. We were there on a Friday and only found one restaurant open at 7:30 at night.

If the bed and pillows would have been better, I would have recommended this motel for cost conscious travelers.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gonzo810
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garberville
Benbow Historic Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
#1 of 1 in Garberville
The Shelter Cove Oceanfront Inn

Been to Sherwood Forest Motel? Share your experiences!