All reviews scones terrace room eel river stone bridge decanter of sherry grounds are beautiful antique furniture golf course no elevator overlooking the river redwood country romantic getaway lawn area step back in time avenue of giants queen room main building
Reviewed September 30, 2015 via mobile

This is likely the best hotel in this area. It's a well known establishment in a rural area. Full restaurant with okay food. Likely little has changed in years. Old fashioned charm with emphasis on old. Our room was not very wheelchair accessible but we managed.

Date of stay: October 2014
Trip type: Traveled with family
BenbowRep, Owner at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2015

Thank you for your review of our Historical Inn. Benbow Historical Inn was opened in July 1926 and has served the traveling public on the Redwood Highway for almost 90 years. Although we have been able to maintain the historical feel of the Inn there have been functional changes over the years and recently we remodeled all 55 guest rooms and hallways. We are in the planning process of adding an elevator, new public restrooms, and 10 new guest rooms all in the concept of making the Inn accessible, so we look forward to your return when this construction is completed. Thank you for your comment on our food. We constantly strive to provide the best food and service in our area. Our restaurant is ranked #1 out of 20 restaurant for our immediate area and #19 out of 376 restaurants for all of Humboldt County.

Reviewed September 28, 2015

We used the Benbow Inn as base camp for going to a family wedding in Fortuna and exploring those magnificent redwood groves just down the road.

We like old hotels, and the Benbow Inn is a good one. Our room (311) was comfortable and spacious and offered great views of the gardens and the surrounding hills/mountains. And, as we often find in some of the old boutique hotels where we stay, we were able to open the windows! That is always a bonus. The freeway noise from 101 wasn't a bother. No elevator, of course, but steps weren't a big problem. We're seniors and navigated the place just fine.

There is an air throughout the place (except in the bar) that hints of privilege. Perhaps left over from a by-gone era. Fun to sit and people-watch in the lobby. The dining dress code rules are interesting.

All in all, a good choice. When we come back to this part of Northern California, we will stay here.

As an aside, for a life style contrast, check out recent reviews of some of the motels in Garberville (about two miles away.) Interesting reading. We chose not to stay in Garberville but went there a couple times and had breakfast there once - Eel River Café, highly recommend.

We are pretty familiar with a multitude of homeless problems facing San Francisco these days with the Super Bowl coming, but they pale in comparison with all the lost souls wandering around Garberville day and night. It didn't look a comfortable place for seniors or, I would think, for families.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2015 via mobile

We have stopped here before, but never stayed until now. Immediately we were greeted with style. Blake at the front desk was our all around go-to resource. I think he was there our entire stay!
We stayed in the "Queen B" 203, with its unique private balcony, but all of the rooms (we have checked most of them out) are classic.
Food and drink were excellent as well. Brandon in the bar was very friendly and accommodating.
We gave it a 4 instead of 5 only because it is more rustic, and less polished. We understand it is about to undergo a substantial addition/renovation project but will remain open throughout the process.
We will be back and bring friends and family.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2015

The hotel and surroundings are absolutely lovely. There are steps up to check-in and to the rooms, but plenty of help available from staff to get your bags up.

Check-in staff were helpful, polite both when checking in and when sorting out a new room for us later in the evening (More on that later).

However, things went very badly wrong after that.

The hotel prides itself on its restaurant, and we were keen to eat there. During our West Coast roadtrip, this was to be our one "night of luxury". I was directed to a guy at a lectern by check-in to make a dinner reservation. I went over and asked if there was a table available for that evening.

I was offered an 8.45pm booking. I politely asked whether there was an earlier table available, even offering to change and be seated immediately if it would help. I explained that I was keen on an earlier booking as we had to be on the road at 6am for a ten hour drive.

His response was a very terse "That is not my problem".

Let me make it absolutely clear that I was being "pushy" nor trying to "bargain" for an earlier table, but simply asking whether anything earlier was available. There is a polite way to say "no, I'm sorry, we are fully booked" and I realise maybe we've booked ahead. This bad review not because we couldn't get a table, but because of the way I was spoken to.

Maybe it was my British Accent. Maybe it was the fact I hadn't yet changed out of scruffy clothes after a day hiking around redwood groves. Or maybe he had just "had a bad day". None of these is an excuse to talking to a customer the way he did.

After eating elsewhere (when I told him that we'd like to cancel the 8.45pm booking he was also rude to me a second time, but I think I've made my point now) we went up to the room.

By now, the restaurant was in full swing, and even with the windows closed (which made the room far too hot, because of the lack of decent air con), the noise from the loud music in the garden was too loud to think about sleeping - hence the move of room as mentioned above.

This was by far our worst stay on the West Coast roadtrip, which is a shame given it was supposed to be our "luxury" night.

The impression we got was very much that all of the emphasis is put on the restaurant and not on the hotel - so if you see positive reviews for this place, do check whether they are for the restaurant or the hotel. I'm sure the restaurant food is great, if you can get past the rude staff.

A place like this is selling itself on the experience, and the unfortunate fact is that despite a nice room, a lovely building, and other members of staff being pleasant, it was all ruined by one very rude member of staff.

If you're in the area, do yourself a favour - stay elsewhere.

Room tip: Ask for one at the front of the hotel to avoid the (very loud!) noise.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank DanMcN
BenbowRep, General Manager at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2015

I apologize for the negative experience you had in our restaurant. You are right - there is no reason for a person to speak to another person that way much less one of our employees to speak to a guest that way. It is unfortunate that this one person ruined your entire experience and I can assure you that I will follow up with this person.

We do have music on our terrace in the evenings during the week with the intent of enhancing our guests experience. However, in following up on your comments, I did find out that the music went past the time it should have. We greatly value our hotel guests and do consider the noise level by enforcing a 10pm quiet time, not serving breakfast on the terrace until after 10 am, and having a standard rule that no "noisy" work can be performed before 10 am.

It is important to us that every guest has a positive experience and again I apologize and assure you that we take this very seriously and will address it with our staff.

Reviewed September 19, 2015

We chose Benbow recently for a memorial gathering for a family member. This will be a relatively short review because everything was perfect! Three of us stayed in Terrace Rooms and two stayed in the KOA "cabins". The accommodations and the food were awesome! Be sure to ask the staff about tours to the "Julia Morgan cottage" a short drive away. For $20 you get an extensive tour of a craftsman cottage designed by the creator of Hearst Castle. Definitely recommended. We love Benbow and we will be back when everwe can.

Room tip: 114 on the Terrace level was a bit noisy from the restaurant but quieted down after 10pm.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family