“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Garberville
Campbell, CA
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

My wife and I spent 2 wonderful nights at the Benbow, truly enjoying our stay. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. They upgraded our room to a King Terrace which was spacious and comfortable. It was the perfect much needed getaway. Don't expect a lot of action, just a quiet and restful lovely place to stay. We had a great breakfast there but decided to eat in nearby Redway for an excellent meal. Having the 9 hole golf course in walking distance was an added treat.

• Liked — Old charm and comfort
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DoctorMario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed June 15, 2008

I booked this hotel because I had read some positive comments on this website and the hotel's website was so impressive. The hotel is very close to the Interstate and very noisy. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained and the staff was friendly. While the hotel must have been beautiful years ago, it looks worn now. The faucet did not work properly in our bathroom, the mattress was very old and the bed linens need to be replaced. The service in the restaurant was very good but the amount we paid for the dinner was not in any way commensurate with the quality of the meal. This was the most expensive hotel and dinner of our entire trip and it was all very disappointing.

• Liked — Outside patio
  • Disliked — Most every thing
  • Stayed June 2008
5 Thank Traveler1071
California
Reviewed June 1, 2008

Took advantage of pre Summer mid-week rate of $125.00 night. Received a welcome upgrade to Terrace level with Balcony overlooking lovely gardens. For the rate, the room was acceptable. However, the beds are very old and the pillows so flat (must be 10 year old pillows) that we would never pay Summer prices to stay here. The rooms are dark, but comfortable and clean. One afternoon we returned back to our room to find the door wide open. We called the front desk, they did not seem quite as concerned as we did. The dining was just ok. The lamb at $35.00 tasted more like liver. Very dissapointing. Breakfast in the corner was shared with a dead spider web filled with spiders. The staff, however, was exceptional. I think the hotel needs a bit of a facelift for the next generation of travelers.

Stayed May 2008
3 Thank tripkCalifornia
CindyElliott, Guest Relations Manager at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2008
Dear Valued Guest:

On behalf of the management and staff, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that your stay was not more enjoyable. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed an upgrade to a Terrace King room and were able to view our beautiful back lawn area.

I have spoken with the housekeeping department regarding your dissatisfaction with the bed and pillows. We are always in the process of upgrading our beds and bedding. I believe that we are currently in the process of ordering pillows.

I have spoken with the Food and Beverage Department about your dissatisfaction with your meals. Please know that your comments will help us to improve upon our facilities and services in the future.

Thank you so much for pointing out your appreciation of our exceptional staff.

We wish you well in all your future travels. I hope that you will not let this unfortunate incident keep you from once again being our guest.

If your travels once again bring you to our area, please call me directly and I will personally set up your reservation.

Virginia
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We had the recent pleasure to stay at the Benbow Inn for two nights to celebrate my birthday. Having never been there before we didn't know what to expect. We had rave reviews from many other people but one never knows what to think until you get there yourself. We drove up from San Francisco and the 3-hour drive was spectacular through the wine country and the hills and Redwoods. Once arriving at the inn and approaching it from the highway it was quite beautiful. The grounds were immaculate and the flowers were blooming and lovely. The inn staff were very friendly and quite accommodating. The room we had was huge with a fireplace and a very comfortable king-size bed. We had a large balcony with a view of the grounds and the Eel River and the old bridge. Quite lovely and serene. We ate in the restaurant both nights and had very good meals and the wine list was superb. All in all the inn was perfect and we can't wait to return in the not too distant future.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jodeelover
CindyElliott, Guest Relations Manager at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2008
On behalf of the staff and management, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience. We know your time is valuable, and appreciate your kind words. We love to hear how our hard work and dedication help to make your stay all that it should be. We all look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Redding
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Gorgeous setting (Old England elegance, redwoods,river), great service, met fun prople, reasonable price, excellent food, very classy place.
We'll go there again (hopefully many times).

• Liked — elegance, setting
  • Disliked — isolation from other resources, like shopping, other dining
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank masterdesign
CindyElliott, Guest Relations Manager at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2008
We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. Thank you for choosing to let us help you celebrate your anniversary. We hope to welcome you back soon.

San Francisco
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I never write these kinds of reviews, but we had such an exceptional time I am compelled to thank the Benbow Inn by leaving my comments.

My boyfriend had been to the Benbow years ago just for drinks and thought of it again when my birthday came around this last weekend. I'm so glad he did.

I think we were probably the youngest couple there - at least that we noticed - but that made no difference in the way we were treated or how much we enjoyed it. I'd describe it as romantic for any age. I don't know that this is a great place to bring kids ["don't know" being the operative words there] but as for adults, it's great for all ages. Access to the Redwoods is literally minutes and getting to the Lost Coast is just a beautiful drive away.

We both love architecture and we were impressed with how well-kept and true to the original plans the building remains. This is an Albert Farr building - which people from the Bay Area might be familiar with - that has very little obviously renovation we could see. The cottage and the terrace rooms are obviously added, but so well-incorporated into the original design that if I knew which architect to credit for the upgrade, I would do so. The grounds were gorgeous, too.

Our room - in the "historic" part of the Inn - was darling. We really felt like we had stepped back in time. The modern conveniences were all there, but they were so discretely integrated there was still the feeling of being at the Benbow during its early heydays as a prohibition getaway or as an escape for old Hollywood royalty. I loved the touch of the sherry decanter in the rooms for guests to enjoy. I didn't think we'd touch it, but it actually became a part of the ritual there and added another wonderful memory for us.

The staff was excellent. In particular, one waitress who happened to serve us on the evening of my actual birthday couldn't have been more helpful, more professional or more friendly [this was despite being busy with several other tables, including one large party and one threesome that I noticed was particularly demanding]. The chef has my gratitude for preparing a double order of an appetizer [the Ahi Tartar] as my main course - which was a delicious birthday meal I'll be telling friends about forever. If you visit the Benbow's restaurant and find this special appetizer on the menu, definitely do not pass it up. Later, we had an after dinner drink in the bar and our bartender was able to fluently discuss one of my boyfriend's favorite subjects with him - quality scotches. We rarely stay seated at the bar, but she was so knowledgeable and interesting we never ended up moving to a table. These three people, our waitress, the chef and our bartender, contributed enormously to the reason we will be back to the Benbow Inn again before the year is over.

• Liked — Please see review...
  • Disliked — Nothing not to love.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chispacita
We would like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. We are sincerely happy that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly. Thank you for choosing to spend your birthday with us. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Scotland
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We stumbled across the Benbow whilst touring. The terrace rooms are very dark but comfortable. The staff are most attentive and friendly. The inclusive afternoon tea and hors d'oeuvres are a lovely touch and the grounds are beautiful. Pricey but very nice.

• Liked — The quirky building and lovely gardens
  • Disliked — Terrace room was very dark
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Gingersview
CindyElliott, Guest Relations Manager at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to share your impression of the Benbow Hotel and Resort. Thank you for pointing out the friendly and attentive staff. We are all happy to hear that you enjoyed the tea and scones, hors d'oeuvres, and grounds. Please think of us again, if you are ever in our area.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garberville
Best Western Plus Humboldt House Inn
The Shelter Cove Oceanfront Inn
Dean Creek Resort
Dean Creek Resort
#1 of 1 in Redway
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
#1 of 1 in Garberville

Been to Benbow Historic Inn? Share your experiences!