“Wonderful Wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Garberville
San Mateo, California
“Wonderful Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Recently stayed overnight for a wedding. the reception was held on-sire & the entire hotel was booked by the wedding party/guests. Staff were freindly & helpful. Food was excellent. The room was small but well equipped & decorated. Surroundings are beautiful. right on the Eel River & close to the Humboldt Redwoods State Park.
Great place for a wedding or weekend getaway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been going to the Benbow Inn for more than a decade now. It is a magic place, a full service grand old hotel in the middle of nowhere (although the setting in the middle of the redwoods is hardly nowhere). I always stay in the old hotel rooms--cozy and quaint without TVs overlooking the river. The hosts provide a carafe of sherry, a basket of good books and very comfortable chairs for just curling up and reading in. The wifi worked great. I love the dining room, unimaginably beautiful with old wood, old iron chandeliers, and incredible windows overlooking the river through ancient oak trees. The food is excellent. The lobby with its jigsaw puzzles, stuffed bears, fireplace and comfy couches is also special. The bar and front porch are great places for a glass of wine.

One shortcoming this time was the pillows. A room for two with a queen bed should at least include 4 pillows in my opinion--especially at the price I paid ($175/night--considerably pricier than previous years). The pillows were foam and my husband couldn't sleep with them. (Hint to management--put some softer pillows in the closet.) The shower head could be improved. If you are staying for breakfast, don't expect quick service--took them 45 minutes to deliver my bowl of oatmeal. This is okay for a leisurely vacation--but I was on business.

I will continue to come back as long as I have business in Eureka because I love this place.

Room Tip: Overlook the river rather than the driveway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank traveling393
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We enjoyed our 25th wedding anniversary here in Rm 206. The staff provided us with champagne and wonderful service. The Inn's food was spectacular and the room was clean and neat with its vintage appointments. The staff was friendly and treated us professionally.

Room Tip: Try the corner rooms - smaller but better views.
1 Thank Sunnyhillfarm
Santa Rosa, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have camped in this area most of my life & always wanted to stay at the Benbow. I asked when making the reservation for a quiet room away from the highway. The room was pretty with a great bathtub & view of the river BUT it is just above the kitchen. There is a BIG FAN in the kitchen window that runs until late at night & again at 6AM that kept me from sleeping. Tried to mask the noise with the heat fan but even set to cold it roasted me so bad I had to get up & open the window & turn it off. The bed was very hard so I did not get much sleep. The extra touches like the brandy in the room do not make up for the fan noise. (Found out later they have had complaints about this fan before.) Put my head under a pillow & managed to go back to sleep only to be rudely awaken by loud guests in the hallway at 7:30 AM laughing & talking like they were trying to be heard & the far river bank. I did not get a reduced room price after complaining which surprised me.
The dining room food is nice but nothing really special. The prices however make you think it will be exceptional. The wine list was extensive but WOW the prices were high. Staff was okay but I imagine gettng top notch help in Garberville would be tough. I have eaten in SF Bay area restaurants that cost less with better food. For that matter Sonoma County has great dining that rivals SF & the best wines for much less. I realize they have to truck it farther but it is not like there is any nearby competition.
So it was historically a neat building but the overall experience was poor.

Room Tip: I always try & ask the when making the reservation for as much information as I can get them to...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank refereemom
PortNo_California, Owner at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for your reply and we are sorry that your experience was not what you expected. Yes, we have a kitchen and unfortunately when the Inn was built in 1926 some rooms were built over the ktichen. There are many operational problems with a building which is 87 years old. I apologize that you were not offered a refund or discount. Please feel free to contact me at jporter@benbowinn.com and i will see that happens. Our front desk should have advised you of the location of 204 so this could have been avoided. Many of our guests do not mind the location of those rooms as they have views of the Eel River and are away from the Highway 101, but others are disturbed by the kitchen.

Regarding the prices in our restaurant. It is not our goal to try and compete with restaurants in San Francsico or other locations in the state. Our prices for both our food and wine are competitive with other similiar Humboldt County restaurants. The quality of our food is unquestionably the best in Southern Humboldt if not the entire county. Our wine list prices are competitive and we are only one of three restaurants in our county that has a Wine Spectator Award. Thank you again for your stay and I hope you contact me.
Uniontown, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Most rooms don't have tv but the rooms are great and going under renovations with new carpets, drapes, etc which is good since it was in need of an upgrade. There are often packages and promotions that are great if you can take advantage of them. Stay here if you are in the area-they have a restaurant and bar so you don't have to go anywhere!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank cms5683
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Don't expect TV's in your room...that's a good thing
The hotel built in 1926 has a historic flavor, while some rooms have been update (with TV's) many have not, but are still clean and functional though are small.
The restaurant is excellent, a little spendy but well worth it. If you want a hamburger drive into town. We had fun exploring the area and hiking nearby in the redwoods

Eureka, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have passed by or stopped at the Benbow Hotel dozens of times. We have family in Humboldt area. It was a couple of days before Valentines Day but we had no problem getting a room at the last minute (it was mid-week). The staff was very friendly and helped us carry our luggage up lots of stairs! We were given a beautiful corner room on the second floor. It has a gorgeous view of the river on one side and the tree covered hill out the other. It is a historic building but very comfortable. The room was warm and cozy, and the bed, very comfortable. There is a large bathroom with a nice tub for a relaxing bubble bath. We had a glass of wine in the charming pub and then dinner in the dining room. I enjoyed the fare, but my hubby had a hard time finding something "simple". The lobby is a great place to relax by the large fireplace and In the morning there is fresh coffee. It's amazing that even though the hotel is quite isolated, it has all the charm and comfort you could want.

Room Tip: The corner queen in the original building has a beautiful view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank norcalhummingbirds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garberville
BEST WESTERN PLUS Humboldt House Inn
The Shelter Cove Oceanfront Inn
Dean Creek Resort
Dean Creek Resort
#1 of 1 in Redway
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
#1 of 1 in Garberville

Been to Benbow Historic Inn? Share your experiences!