“Excellent Restaurant in Downtown Fullerton”
Review of Cafe Hidalgo

Cafe Hidalgo
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Hidalgo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #148 of 377 Restaurants in Fullerton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I had never even heard of Cafe Hidalgo but it was recommended by someone who had been there a few times before so we thought to give it a try. I have to say I came away impressed.

First of all, the atmosphere is nice. It is a small restaurant with a small bar but wasn't one of those places where it's so loud you can't hear yourself think. You could have a nice conversation without shouting. Our server was wonderfully helpful (sorry, can't remember his name), informative, and was able to make some outstanding recomendations. The only complaint here is they were out of Bacardi Light. It's Friday evening, how can you be missing the Bacardi??? Fortunately, I like Myers too.

Each of the four of us had something different and each of us raved about the food. My wife had the Seafood Pasta which she couldn't believe how much seafood was included. I had the Grilled Steak Chimichurri which was just outstanding. Thinly sliced with a pesto on the side, it came with garlic mashed potatos and fresh veggies. The couple with us had the Pecan Salmon and Tequila Shrimp respectively, which they loved. Also I felt the presentation of the food on the plate was very attractive and inviting.

For dessert my wife and I shared the Creme Brulee while the other couple shared the Flan. Both were well prepared and quite tasty.

Without a doubt we will return. I checked out their lunch menu online and was impressed as well. Highly recommended!!!!

1  Thank ArchieMYL
There are newer reviews for Cafe Hidalgo

Reviewed September 2, 2011

It has been a while since we had been to Hidalgo's in the historic Fullerton downtown area. There was live music in the Villa del Sol courtyard that added to the atmosphere. The staff was attentive but somewhat forgetful about our requests.

But the food was the shinning star here. Argentinian cuisine is very different from the usual Spanish fare. It is more of a marriage of Italian, Spanish, and French dishes This give the dining experience an uniqueness all to its own.

The appetizers - Sautéed Calamari and Las Ramblas (,a sample of chicken salbutes, ceviche, mushrooms, chips & herb bread.) are great starters to the main entree.
Add to that a pitcher of sangria, and you are ready for a great main course feast.

I had the Grilled Steak Chimichurri, (a sauce of herbs, garlic and vinegar). Both the portion and flavor was outstanding. All in all, a great dining experience.

Reviewed March 15, 2011

I really wanted to like this place more - the setting is pretty nice and cozy, the wait staff was really helpful and attentive but they pretty much murdered the food.
Went there during a business trip, so there were 8 of us but otherwise the place didn't seem particularly busy.
The ceviche felt a lot like someone added cooked shrimp to some salsa and served it with some chips and the mussels were pretty fishy.
For entrees(all at ~$20+), a few of us had the "jumbo" scallops which were not really jumbo and a few of us had the halibut - both were completely overcooked and clearly been set for too long under a heat lamp before being sent out. The scallops had this weird metallic taste and its sad to see a good piece of halibut totally dried out like that.
We skipped desert and all in all had a pretty bad meal - it felt like no one was in charge of the kitchen on a Saturday night.

Reviewed February 16, 2011

I'm pretty gourmand when it comes to Mexican cuisine. Give me a cheesy burrito and some hot sauce and I'm happy. However, Hidalgo offers a more sophisticated range of tastes from Mexico, South America, and Spain. The menu proved to be pretty tasty (there were four of us and we each ordered different items that we enjoyed), and my pecan salmon was good ... nothing amazing, but good!

However, I WILL say that the cumin salad dressing was awesome. So tangy, and so fresh. I've been trying to find a way to replicate the recipe since I tasted Hidalgo's. The atmosphere, typical of downtown Fullerton, is also really pretty and relaxing.

I'd recommend this place for a romantic date, for sure.

1  Thank McMidgy
Reviewed September 10, 2010

When I lived in Fullerton Cafe Hidalgo was a restaurant my wife and I would regularly visit, not just for the exceptional menu but for the attentive and polite service they provide. Since our first visit we have since held family birthday celebrations and other occasions at the restaurant and have been very pleased with the service.

Sadly we no longer live in the state but are anxious to return, and when we do we will visit Hidalgo's.

2  Thank mr_orbiter