Fullerton Marriott at California State University
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Needs Work”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I was here for some business meetings. The location is handy, right off the freeway and close to the college (Cal State Fullerton) . On entering the lobby I passed a very dated looking "Pub" and felt like I had just wandered into the 80's. My immediate thought was "this place could use an update". My room was on the 4th floor and as I walked the hallway to the room, I noticed multiple patches of wall paper missing all along the hallway, apparently some type of repair work had been done to the wall and the wallpaper had not been replaced.It looked pretty ragged. The room was small and somewhat dated with very sparse look, more like a hospital room or barracks than a hotel. The furnishings were dated and worn. The towels were thin and some had a noticeable gray tint, kind of shabby looking. The carpet had a worn appearance and it looked like it needed a deep cleaning. Overall, there was a lot of residual dirt, not outright filth, but the kind that builds up over years and will not come out with a simple wipe down. You could see this along joints, seams, and areas where two surfaces meet (example there was a brown line of dirt along the top and side of the light switch plates on the walls.) This is a very poor example of a Marriott hotel, probably the worst Marriott I've stayed at in the U.S. There are a lot of nicer hotels a few miles south in Anaheim (including Marriott, Hilton and other name brand chains). Next time I'm in the area I'll skip this place and move a few miles south.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank FargoJim
Jasmin R, Front Office Manager at Fullerton Marriott at California State University, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear FargoJim

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback of your most recent stay. There is no doubt that without the feedback of our guests, we would not be conscious of the areas in which need improvement.

In regards to the need of a renovation, I am happy to say that we will begin the first steps towards that renovation this year! I unfortunately cannot give a set in stone start date, but I do know that we are planning to start with the lobby and integrating Marriott's Great Room concept, which consists of revamping the entire lobby and restaurant area. I have been told that the rooms will be hit after that. With the renovation of the guestrooms, the hallways are in the works to be done. The "patchwork" that you see being done in the hallways on the guest room floors was actually an upgrade to our Internet service. We recently added quite a few more access points in our hotel to allow for faster and more readily accessible Internet access. Naturally, we did not want to leave the holes in the walls until the renovation of the rooms, so that would explain the process that is going on in the hallways of our guest rooms. I do agree with you in that there are areas of the hotel that do require a lot more tender loving care than others, but I am happy to say that we plan on hitting all the areas that are in need of just that. While I know it is a process, I am glad to say that we are heading in the right direction. We do strive to offer nothing less than satisfaction to our guests and I'm sorry that we have fallen short during your stay.

I am sorry that our hotel does not currently meet you expectations but I am very confident in saying that we will soon be there, if not exceed those same expectations! Again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. If there is anything further that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Jasmin Randle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for hospitality for a debate tournament hosted at CSU Fullerton for 3 days. The hotel staff was excellent and the rooms were not bad at all. The snacks at the convenience store were a bit overpriced but thats about it!

1 Thank KevonH
Jasmin R, Front Office Manager at Fullerton Marriott at California State University, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
KevonH,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave the positive feedback about our property! We are happy to be your hosts for the Debate tournament year after year! With that being said, looking forward to seeing you next year also!!

Front Office Manager
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I spent one night here while attending a conference. The room was comfortable and reasonably clean. The mattress was actually better than expected. The facility seems dated and in need of upgrades, but the staff was pleasant and the hotel met my short-terms needs. While the location is good, it is quite close to the 57 FWY. It's a good thing I had earbuds or the traffic noise would have been a problem. I would recommend this hotel for short stays.

2 Thank SkyLordHeuksa
To SkyLordHeuksa

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your most recent visit to our property! Definitely appreciate the feedback as it is the only way for us to continue to improve and address problem areas!

I am very happy to hear the praises in regards to the staff and I will be sure to pass that along to the rest of the management team as I am sure they will be happy to share that with their employees!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the mattress, that is actually a common compliment that we receive! They are quite comfortable!

In regards to the traffic noise, I am sorry to hear that it may have disrupted your night. In the future, if you choose to stay with us again, you are more than welcome to shoot me an email after your reservation has been made and I will do everything in my power to pre-block you in a room that faces the pool area, which tends to be quite a bit more quiet!

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your opinion, it is must appreciated!

Front Office Manager
Fullerton Marriott Hotel
jrandle@marriottfullerton.com
Indiana
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I was attending meetings and playing golf in Orange County a couple of months ago, mainly in Fullerton, and I decided to give this place a try. The location right on the campus of CSUF was very convenient for getting to where I needed to be. I usually like staying in college towns and near university campuses for the usually wide range of restaurants and generally safe surroundings, but seeing as CSUF is more of a commuter school there's not much within walking distance.

As for the hotel itself, everything saying that it is dated is true and it could use a bit of a renovation. The public areas and the room were certainly looking their age in terms of furnishings and decor, but everything was kept to reasonable standards of cleanliness. The bathroom in my room did seem like it had seen a recent refresh though, which was nice. Service at the hotel made up for its age though; every employee I interacted with was professional from check in to check out. My schedule didn't allow for me to eat at the hotel at all.

Seeing as there's no real alternatives in Fullerton and the price is reasonable, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who needs to be in the area. With that being said though, I hope that they renovate in the reasonably near future, because they won't be the only player in town forever.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank PersonalEnsign
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The location is good however the staff was not super friendly or accommodating but that is ok.

The hotel is old and needs to be updated, it simply looks and feels old. The lounge serves food that while ok is neither exciting or great (ok not 100% fair the fresh fruit was very fresh but the rest tasted old (too long on the heat).

But the bed is comfortable and that is for me the main thing I want in a hotel other than reliable and fast internet access as I am here on business and need it for work. Well this hotel gets less than 3Mbps download and a whopping 680Kbps upload! Can I say forget VPN's forget remote access go have coffee as it's barely usable.

I would simply NOT come back until this is fixed and recommend that before you come here you need to decide if you need internet access! Yes I called the front desk, the help desk and even tech support to no avail (got lots of run around answers)

2 Thank Peter_Bomberg
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 12, 2014

At first I was hesitant about staying in Fullerton CA. Not sure where this place was, but wanting to stay at an affordable place, the decision was easy. Boy was I surprised by the EXCELLENT service I received. My stay lasted 10 days. Each day, I was greeted by a friendly staff member. Did I also mention they were helpful as well?! The room I stayed in was large, with two double beds. The hotel had a decent gym which I used 4xs. There was also an outdoor swimming pool, free parking and a good breakfast buffet (located in the bar/restaurant). The rooms did not have a refrigerator, but had a small coffee maker. I would have preferred a small fridge since they provided coffee every morning and evening. This hotel also had an executive lounge which provide non-alcoholic drinks, fruits, cheese and crackers, coffee and tea. Nice touch. This place was a bit old but I overlooked that since there was so much to offer considering the price and location. I was within 20 miles of all the great places I wanted to visit, I was also about 45 mins from LAX. If you do stay here, check out the Fullerton downtown. Lots of cute shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: This hotel had 3 VIP rooms. If you are traveling with children, I would recommend booking one of th...