Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Fullerton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My Husband and I went to this hotel for a short stay. Very nice front desk and staff. The rooms are clean and nicely furnished,kind of small. The hotel is in a nice neighborhood and there are some restaurants right across the street. All in all, if I had to be in Fullerton again, I'd stay here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 157Kate

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Check in was nice and fast. Room was clean and had a nice view. The atmosphere of the dining room was very cute. Pool was a disappointment. Was too cold for the kids (which means it really has to be cold) Also there was a whole corner dedicated to a sports teams equipment. The equipment didn't bother us but I could see how easy it would have been for someone to mess with it. I would stay here again but would hope the pool would be a bit warmer. Also very quiet.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tululahh
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We continue to stay here on our visits to the area, and most recently in February 2013. Staff at this property continues to be top-notch! They are always friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Some even recognize me and address me by my name. Check-in went smoothly and when I asked about breakfast coupons for the weekend (I'm Platinum Premier in the Marriott Rewards program), they were promptly filled out and given to me. I was told that my special requests were in my room, my choice of newspaper was confirmed, and I was offered my Platinum arrival gift.

Our room was on the concierge, sixth, floor and yes, the rooms are a bit on the small side, but we don't spend a lot of time in the room. It's the standard Marriott room with a desk, small sofa, and flat screen tv. There is a coffee maker, with coffee and tea bags, as well as a small bottle of water in the room. The bathroom was adequately stocked with amenities and towels. The hotel continues to offer guests a $5 certificate/day not to have their room serviced. The $5 certificates are slipped under your door and can be used in the restaurant. If you don't use the certificates, you can exchange them for 500 points each. The offer isn't applicable to your last night, as would be expected.

We had access to the concierge lounge, so I was able to grab a cold bottle of water, a soft drink, and snack when we arrived. The next morning we had breakfast in the lounge. It was the basic fare of eggs, sausage, fruit, yogurt, cereal, juice, and pastries. There was a bit of a delay in the food being put out as there was no hot water for tea and no cereal out until we left. The attendant has always been polite and the only "noise" in the concierge lounge is from the tv or other guests talking. The lounge is locked promptly at noon on Fridays and reopens on Sunday evening. It would be nice if the lounge remained unlocked so that those who have access to it could use the computer and printer that is in there, if needed. I did notice that the furniture has been rearranged - Makes for a better flow of traffic!

We had breakfast in the restaurant on Saturday and Sunday morning. Javier continues to be the best! He is so warm and friendly! Even though it had been about three months since our last visit, he remembered what we drink with our breakfast (not coffee and oj). If you have the breakfast buffet there is a chef to make waffles and prepare your eggs anyway you like. On the buffet there is fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, cereal, pastries, breakfast potatoes, bacon, and sausage.

With my Marriott Rewards status I am given complimentary WiFi. This is the only thing we really have problems with at this property. Service was hit or miss in our room and at the pool, but worked well in the lobby and in the concierge lounge. I called down shortly after arriving in our room to let the staff know that we could not access WiFi in our room and we were then connected to the provider's technical service. That didn't really help as we knew there were no issues with our devices. The next day I stopped at the front desk and let the staff member know of the problems and she said she would have the sixth floor reset, and she did ask if we wanted to switch rooms. The reset helped, to a point, but WiFi remained sporadic in the room. Fortunately, we could use the landline and connected that way with our laptop.

I did notice that a deep cleaning was needed in our room - When I went to swivel the tv I saw a noticeable layer of dust and there were cookie crumbs under the tv base.

There was a hockey team staying at the property while we were there and they saw fit to leave all of their equipment, uniforms, towels, pads, bags, etc. out on the pool deck to air out after they returned from their games. It was quite smelly and I let the front desk staff know of the situation. The staff member said she was not aware of it and would bring it to the attention of her manager. The equipment was put out a second day, but I said nothing further to the staff.

I was very surprised to receive an e-mail from the hotel manager apologizing for the problems we encountered while on property -- WiFi and the issue at the pool. They are working on both issues and he offered me some additional Marriott Rewards points. I thought this was quite refreshing to see someone take action when there are issues brought to their attention.

The hotel has complimentary parking, which sometimes can be a bit tight if you arrive late, or if there is an event being held at the property. We love relaxing by the pool after spending our mornings at Disneyland. We will definitely be back in a couple of months!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard/pool area are much quieter than those facing the street in front of...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This "old style" hotel reminds me of a New York hotel. The facility has a lot of amenities, and the regular guest rooms are small and cramped. I felt claustraphobic in the room.

With a small room, why does the bed have three giant decorative pillows? Where do you put the pillows when you take them off the bed? Why is the desk taking up space when it could be against the wall? The room had an odd configuration was was not efficient on usage of space.
Almost no surface space to put anything.

You have the choice of a comforter that made you too hot, or just the sheet (that made you too cold).

Though there is free wifi, the office center computer charges 50 cents per minute for internet for those without a wifi device. Local phone calls are $1.00 per minute for those without a phone.
Excessive charges.

The restaurant was overpriced.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly. The parking was free. Unfortunately, that is where the list of positives ends.

The skylights in the lobby are cracked, and have been repaired (badly) with tape. Great first impression.

An advance request for connecting rooms was ignored. Assigned rooms had musty smell with chipped bathroom sink. Old, tired walls, artwork, and drapes make for a depressing appearance.

The concierge lounge is a tiny, poorly maintained space that served a warmed-over continental breakfast with minimal offerings. Lounge attendant was noisy and rude.

Internet connection was slow and inconsistent. Received some Marriott Rewards points as an apology, along with a series of lame excuses for the problem.

Our treatment was so poor that we cancelled our second night at this hotel, checked out, and stayed elsewhere.

In response to written correspondence, I received a phone call offering a complete refund of our charges. I accepted, but asked for additional gift certificates so we could give this hotel another chance to "get it right". This request was turned down. Their attitude seemed to say, "We refunded your room charges. We really don't care if you come back or not. Please just shut up and go away".

Overall, there's nothing wrong with the Fullerton Marriott that a $10 million remodel and proper staff training wouldn't cure. Until both those are completed, this property is far below Marriott standards in most regards. The ownership and management are taking advantage of their prime location and Marriott name to offer a poorly maintained property without regard to Marriott standards for service, product, or staff.

Room Tip: Forget it. Stay elsewhere. This property is a loser.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank CaptainMike63
laxfl, General Manager at Fullerton Marriott at California State University, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. It is feedback like yours that provides us the opportunity to make the appropriate and necessary adjustments to our performance enabling us to provide all of our guests with a restful and relaxing experience.
I appreciate your candor and would ask the Trip Advisor users to look at the pages of positive reviews that have been given to our location. I understand that you didn’t have a particularly enjoyable visit but honestly can't see why this has created such a harsh response. This type of experience and reaction isn’t typical of our property which the countless other reviews attest to. Rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the team and all have taken this guest service failure to heart as we take pride in what we do and go out of our way to take care of our guests.
Thank you again for providing us with your feedback, allowing us the opportunity to learn and grow as hospitality professionals and assure this hotel remains one of the best Marriott Hotels in the country.

Warm regards,

Brian Murphy

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, small reception area, room not vaccumed daily, n sheets not changed when there is food stain, jacuzzi warm n nice in the cold weather, central location, got great deal via priceline, lots of restaurants within driving distance.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Well, there are nice things about this hotel. The service is good and the staff responsive. I'm a Platinum member with 3 years of nights in Marriott hotels so I know the chain very well. This location does not fare well when compared with most other full-service Marriotts. The beds are not the new, more comfortable version but just ok. The air conditioning at night drove me crazy. It was so loud and for some reason when it kicks in it smacks you right in the face while in bed. And on the concierge lounge the wi-fi is really, really slow. Finally I try not to eat at the restaurant in the lobby. Again, not terrible but its one of those "Irish" bars you find in the US. When I pointed out the restaurant to my colleague she asked, "is that the kind of Irish bar where they serve Reubens and hamburgers?" Sadly, yes.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank oskeebob1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fullerton
The Hotel Fullerton
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Fullerton
Days Inn & Suites Fullerton
Best Western Plus Anaheim Orange County Hotel

Been to Fullerton Marriott at California State University? Share your experiences!