“Good thing this hotel changed owners. It was for the better.”

The Hotel Fullerton
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Fullerton
Los Angeles, California
“Good thing this hotel changed owners. It was for the better.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've stayed here several times. This hotel used to be part of a hotel chain until they sold the property. In any case they made some decent upgrades. The rooms are a tad small but they make it up for certain amenities like a more homey setting and cable tv.

Of all the times I've stayed here, the front desk is always busy even on weekdays. One time a man was handling a line of guests and all the calls that were coming in. He look flustered. They should hire more staff for the front.

They have a store that opens late; I think til 11 pm. You can also come chill at the bar and watch some tv or have a meal at the restaurant next door.

Sometimes you can get a room here through the hoteltonight app. You can score $25 off if you sign up using the code mrhee2.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hello "Good Thing". This is a very nice review. Thank you. This is a very nice compliment. The new management team took the helm on November 1st and have been making improvements ever since. Thank you for noticing. We are completing another refresh now. We will become the Crowne Plaza Fullerton-Anaheim beginning May 1, 2014. There are many upgrades. Thank you for mentioning our Griswold Bar and Grill. It is a fabulous place to relax after a day at work or the amusement parks and indeed it is open until 11 PM with the flexibility to extend to 1:30 AM if demand dictates. We have a lot of fun there. Hotwire can save you some money it’s true but be careful please. The rooms through these channels are often limited and don't reflect the full offering of the hotel. Just do some research first to be sure you are looking at all options. Thanks again "Good Thing" We will keep working hard and we shall see you next time. Tommy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Puget Sound, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

We enjoyed our 3-day stay at this hotel; room was clean and comfortable although we would have appreciated a microwave in addition to the small refrigerator. Lobby and central pool area were very nice, but many rooms are subject to traffic noise from the busy 91 freeway. Rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter, but overlook a run-down industrial area...in fact the entire hotel is in a semi-industrial area and there are really no restaurants within walking distance. Conveniently located for driving to most Orange County attractions, however.

Our room, on the 5th floor, had a connecting door to the next room. This became a minor problem on the second night of our stay, when a couple with an infant moved in...connecting door was not sufficiently insulated to block the baby's loud cries.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank azzure
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
"Very Nice". Thank you. It’s true that the rooms in the tower are more quite although the other windows are tripled pained and have a noise dampening curtain. We don’t get many negative comments about the noise but for very light sleepers it could make a difference. I met with my Chief Engineer today after reading your comment. I believe there is an opportunity to add, repair or replace the existing noise / "weather" striping that is in place now and to adjust the connecting doors to eliminate gaps at the base. We are an all concrete building so making these improvements should correct the connecting door noise issue. Thank you for your help. We are not in walking distance to local restaurants but we do offer a complimentary shuttle to and from anywhere within 7 miles of the hotel including Disney, Knotts and or course Downtown Fullerton and Disney which have endless choices. Nobody walks in LA and no one wants to drive…. Thank you for your review and be sure to look for the Crowe Plaza Fullerton-Anaheim when you return. Tommy
Modesto, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

Great Hotel, would recommend it to anyone. I purchased on Groupon and relied on reviews of others, that I read. I didn't try either of the two restaurants or room service. My only complaint was the lack of security in the hotel. I stayed in the tower so my door was inside the hotel. The back or side entrances of the hotel were never locked, as noted on the door they would be. The reason why this is a big deal to me is because I opted not to use their dry cleaning service, but to use the guest laundry instead. I had to wait over 20 minutes for someone, who left their clothes in the machines while the cycles ended (that is not the fault of the hotel). But, as she came in to check on her laundry, we started talking.... Truth behold, her friend lives at the hotel and she comes over to do her laundry at the hotel. Really, Really.. Three hours later I was in bed, perturbed. I didn't report it. But, you could come and go and they never would know if you really belong there, due to the restaurants, lounge, and open doors.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi Great Hotel. Thank you for the great review and the information. Thank you so much. I have already met with our security department which is on site 24 hours a day regarding timed door locks. They are there to control access and enhance security and must be engaged. The door in question has been added to the nightly rounds and will not be missed again. I am glad that you had a chance to utilize our laundry services. Many travelers actually will do laundry here and travel home with a suitcase full of clean cloths. I think that is pretty cool. I want everyone to know that no one lives at this hotel. I have no guests staying longer than 7 days and enforce check out policies to assure this never happens. Her boyfriend may have been a guest but certainly did not live here and we do check the laundry which is also key controlled. I am very happy to say that we are a very safe hotel and security has never been an issue. Knock on Wood...Thanks Great hotel. I will work to tighten this up so that all feel as safe as they are. Tommy
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

This hotel was a nice place to stay. My boyfriend and I planned a trip to Disneyland and stayed here for 5 nights it was very comfortable and clean. The shuttle to Disneyland was very easy and convenient. The only problem is the plumbing... :-/ Our toilet as well as a few other guests toilets were clogged, but other than that had a wonderful time and will return during our next Cali trip.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you Very Good. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and Thank you for sharing your Very Good experience. Remember to look for the Crowne Plaza Fullerton - Anaheim when you return. We will be converting on May 1st and will have many new surprises. Thank you very much once again. Tommy
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Chose this hotel for the weekend of the NAMM conference at the Anaheim convention center to hang with pals who were visiting and/or performing. Horrified by the rate-jacking in the immediate vicinity of the center (Econolodges and Travelodges going for just under $200 a night? PUHLEEZE!), I was thrilled to find an AAA rate of $118/nt. for this gem just three miles from the heart of the action. (HFCC even offers a free shuttle to both the convention center and Disneyland, although we chose to drive ourselves, so I can't comment on that feature.)

The exterior of the property, with its earth-toned stucco, reminds me of a LaQuinta (far and away my favorite low-cost chain), but the interior was a bit more upscale, more along the lines of a Westin. Indeed, they're converting to a Crowne Plaza on May 1st and this hotel should fit that brand quite well. The lobby and indoor common areas were furnished in lovely dark woods and jewel-toned furniture that looked sophisticated and not as generic as many hotels seem to go for, and everything seemed well-maintained. All weekend, we saw people cleaning everywhere we went and the property definitely shined from such attention to detail.

The pool was clean and huge, not bathwater warm but obviously heated (though in such a big pool, that sometimes doesn't help enough, and that was the case here). Jacuzzi was equally immaculate and wonderfully hot, though jets could've been a little more vigorous. Plenty of towels available and ample poolside furniture provided. The chaise lounges and chairs are metal, not plastic, and ashtrays are provided in the pool area. Pretty little white gazebo on the grounds in front of a patch of green grass made for a nice view from the outside dining area connected to the bar/grill.

I was thrilled that the hotel offered us the option of a smoking room, although our party of two had to share a king bed in order to take advantage of that arrangement. We were on the third floor (nowhere near the elevator), but I guess those are the only rooms designated as "smoking"--sort of a quarantine so as not to disturb nonsmoking guests. Better than not offering a smoking room at all.

Bed was comfy enough and we had a fridge and coffeemaker (but no microwave--those are apparently limited to rooms on the "executive floor"). We had a problem with our heater the first night we stayed, but they not only came and fixed it, the manager dropped by personally and delivered coupons for a free breakfast and two drinks to make up for our trouble. When I booked, I was told there would be a little sofa in the room but it was actually just an upholstered chair with table. We were happy we had a balcony, which even had its own A/C unit, but there was no furniture out there and the chair was too heave to drag, so we didn't spend much time out on the balcony (something we'd typically do given that amenity).

The website boasts that standard rooms include an amenity bag with sleep masks and lavender room spray, which was MIA in our room, though the toiletries in the bathroom were Bath & Body Works brand shampoo, conditioner and lotion (ahhhh!). Bathroom was small but the tub/shower combo was clean with good water pressure/temperature and a curved shower rod. Hairdryer on the wall functioned perfectly and the light-up, swiveling, magnifying mirror was a nice plus. Convenient to have iron and ironing board in the closet; both functioned properly. No luggage racks, but tons of drawer space. WiFi functioned flawlessly and cell service was fine. No issues with the flatscreen TV (although we barely used it).

The in-house Griswold's Bar & Grill has a great happy hour deals from 4-7pm on both drinks and appetizers. Outside happy hour, the menu is a bit on the pricey side and not terribly impressive for the price. The other onsite restaurant, RED, was undergoing renovations during our visit, so I didn't get to try it. I believe they have a complimentary reception on weeknight evenings. Free or not, breakfast was the worst meal here. First a.m., we ordered room service, which was a whopping $40 for eggs, toast, bacon (substituted a mini-danish upon request for the vegetarian), a couple mini-muffins, coffee and juice for two and it was cold when it arrived! Next a.m., we availed ourselves of the buffet, which wasn't much better; food was still cold and the only item they had that would not be included in a LaQuinta or even a DaysInn breakfast was slices of fresh fruit (pineapple, watermelon and cantaloupe).

Hotel Fullerton really won my heart when they didn't bat an eye at my request for a late checkout (1pm vs. 11am standard time, no extra charge), though we had a mix-up with our keys not working on the way back up from the pool and I had to run to the lobby to rectify. I was a little annoyed that they didn't send someone up when I asked a maid to call about the problem.

Overall, a great bargain for our two night stay and I'd definitely come here again if in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank EuterpeThelo
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Good Value. Wow. What a review. Thank you. I will definitely use your comments as positive reinforcement and cause for celebration. I have taken note of your difficulties and will use to assist with further training. We do have improvements to make. Thank you again for your fair and accurate review. it will help a great deal during our journey to the top. We look forward to seeing you again next year for NAMM but would encourage you to book early as I believe the secret is getting out. Thank you so much. Tommy
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel! It was very inexpensive but had a very nice pool, bar, restaurant, jacuzzi, gym, and rooms! They even shuttled us FOR FREE to Disneyland which is about 10-15 minutes away. The staff was very nice and I look forward to staying here another time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christina B
Amazing Value. I could not have said it better. Your hired! Thank you. Reading your review makes me very happy and provides inspiration. I will share with my crew and celebrate together. Thank you very much and we look forward to hosting you on your next visit. Tommy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed here last week and was pleased with the service and amenities this hotel has to offer. Check in was pleasant, the front desk staff was nice and informative. The pool and Hot Tub are well maintained. This hotel is soo close to Disneyland and great eateries. I paid 59 bucks a night thanks to a Groupon, what a steal!! My husband just bought another Groupon offer and we plan to return this Friday.

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you What a Steal. Thank you for your very kind words We are working hard and its glad to hear that some of its working. We will see you Friday and will try to very hard to earn another Excellent Review. Thank you so much. Tommy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fullerton
Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Ayres Hotel Anaheim
#6 of 118 in Anaheim
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,991 reviews
Quality Inn Placentia - Anaheim

Been to The Hotel Fullerton? Share your experiences!