“Not bad” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cellar

The Cellar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cellar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 370 Restaurants in Fullerton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Wilshire Blvd.
Westminster, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We had a groupon and booked for a Saturday. The reservation is at 7:15 pm. We waited for half an hour before they seated us, and another 15 min before the server came. He didn't even introduce himself as our server nor his name. He simly handed us the menus and asked if we were ready to order. We said we would appreciate some bread and something to drink now that it's 8 pm, and would want to have a couple of minutes before we decided what to order. A woman brought us a piece of bread but no water. The server came back a while later and took our order. During our meal, a second server who is Japanese also helped. He was very pleasant and polite and cooled us down quite a bit.

The food was a lot better than the service. We had a four course meals.

First course: my husband and I both got shrimp. The 2 piece shrimp skewer was above avarage. The charbroiled shrimps tasted good but sweet and sour sauce was nohing special.

Second course: I had pork belly and my husband got scallop. He enjoyed the fresh scallop wih saffron and Indian spice. My pork belly was a bit dry but crispy pieces of bacon did add flavor to it. They both passed as pretty good for the course.

Third course: we boh had lobster bisque and it was excellent though a little salty. Pieces of lobster were very fresh. A treat.

Fourth course: I got the salmon and my husband, truffle macaroni and braised rib. My salmon was very fresh and crispy. My husband absolutely loved the truffle macaroni. The rib was good but not special.

Overall, food was very good. According to our own rating, food is 26, service is 25 on Zagat scale.

As guests slowly left, the original server seemed less rushed and less abrupt. He was more pleasant and started talking to us. Maybe he was just overwhelmed when we cirst came.

We probably will come back, but not sure on a saturday.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We went to The Cellar on Friday 7/20 for dinner. We had a four course meal with wine pairings. Overall, the meal was a disappointment, though the setting is neat (and the location difficult to find). If we hadn't purchased a groupon, we would have been angry at paying full price for the food. The service was good throughout but it seemed like management told the waiters/waitresses to rush everyone through each course. We would barely finish one course and the next would arrive. I had the chili shrimp for course 1; my husband had the baked brie. My shrimp were luke warm and overcooked. Also, they didn't seem jumbo. My husband's brie was nothing to write home about. For course two, I had the pork belly slider. It had a lot of fat and was luke warm. My hsuband's scallop was only warm, as well. The lobster bisque had really good flavor but could have been hot. Last, I had the salmon and potatoes; my husband had the truffled mac and cheese and short ribs. THe salmon was cooked perfectly but the potatoes were the worst I have ever eaten. They seemed fake. My husband's ribs were a bit overdone and the mac and cheese was very runny. We ordered dessert - a chocolate souflet. It was average. The last compaint from us is that the wine pairings were not brought with each course but they were brought all at once. When they brought each course so fast, a person couldn't keep up with the wine pairings. Also, the red wines we had were average and one was not good at all so we left it. We will not go back to The Cellar.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Meghan J
Orange County, CA
“Its The Cellar, not a basement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

this long time Fullerton gem is well known for its cuisine. Our recommendation is to order the escargot no matter what else is on your order.
The bar is well stocked and if you're into Absinthe, the bar keep will turn it out second to none.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Riquez75
Diamond Bar, California
“Cellar restaurant review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

This restaurant is at the basement, althought the dining room is small, but the decoration of the dinning room is elegant and it is quite, no loud noise, Food is really tasting, and the service is great. It is very enjoyable to have dinner at this restaurant.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank chien C
Anaheim, California
“The Cellar has American Gastropub fare with a little bit of pixie dust history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

Buffalo Tartar is mixed with a shallot and caper relish, topped with fried quail egg, and crispy capers. The presentation was nice and different, being square in shape. The minced buffalo was absolutely scrumptious with a rich flavor. The quail egg yolk added an amazing creamy flavor. The brioche crust added structure and matched perfectly with the buffalo. This dish will definitely give you an OMG moment or two. Thumbs up, way up!

Warm Baby Spinach Salad with shaved shallots, tomatoes and bacon vinaigrette topped with a fried quail egg. The warmed spinach was still leafy, just on the verge of wilting while keeping a nice bright green color. The yellow heirloom tomatoes added a fresh balance with the slightly sour vinaigrette. The bacon flavor was infused into the spinach with a smoky flavor and aroma. Thumbs up!

• Visited April 2012