“authentic and interesting”

Cuisines: Greek
newport coast, ca
“authentic and interesting”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

After returning from a Mediterranean cruise some time ago, I was thinking of meals we enjoyed in Crete and Greece and happened to see an ad for Kentro. Went for lunch on a Saturday and really enjoyed it. Its small but has pleasing modern/euro, clean decor. We ordered at the counter and then found a table. I love the menu because it has so many choices of appetizers, salads, small plates, soup and regular entrees. We had wonderful tzatziki spread (creamy with yogurt/cucumber) with bread, calamari in fresh tomato sauce, classic greek salad and lamb pitas. The lamb pitas were wonderful (not the ordinary fare where you are trying to id the meat) and came with small, perfectly cooked fries (tasted like olive oil prep). All the food was fresh (like I remembered in the Med.) We had a interesting bottle of white greek wine (1st on menu) that complimented the food. We finished with a dessert of vanilla bean ice cream and delicious hot beignets with honey and cinnamon. We enjoyed a leisurely meal but I assume this place is crowded and busy at night. Nice combination of quality, freshness and yet comfortable informality. The pricing is fair but the problem ( at least for me) is that I was tempted to try every thing on the menu. Nice change of pace.

• Visited July 2012

• Korean first
California
“Wonderful find”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I found this place via a random web search, and driving past I thought I had made a mistake. As soon as I went inside I could feel the buzz and the atmosphere and hear all the conversations going on at once. I had to fight my way past the bar to get to where i could order. The menu is all written up on the chalkboards, and you get given a number to take to your table. The service was brisk, and the pork souvlaki was wonderful. The pork was just right, and the souvlaki was to die for. I am not normally one for rice dishes, however I would come back here just to have this again - my only complaint was that the portion was a bit on the small size.

• Visited May 2012
Laguna Niguel
“Someof the best Greek food in So cal”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This place is outstanding, I eat a lot of Greek food and have traveled throughout Greece. This place has a great feel and some of the most authentic Greek food you can find in SoCal. I highly reccomend it. I drive 30 miles to eat here with my wife regularly/

• Visited May 2012
Orange, California
“What a great new find, LOVE THIS PLACE, a must try!”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

A group of us were looking for something out of the ordinary and we wanted healthy fresh food. We got a tip and this was the perfect match. Our group of 5 ordered a variety of foods from the menu and everyone loved what they ordered. We ended up making a buffet out of it, amazing tastes with just enough spices. If you love beets, the beet salad is one of the best we've tasted. Honestly everything was great. Can't wait to visit Kentro again and again and again. Note : Bigger portions are $$

• Visited March 2012
Northern Virginia, Virginia
“Great food, friendly service”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We had lunch here and enjoyed our lunch for the most part. We had the greek sausage with marinated tomatoes and cheese. It was pretty good, but on the small side. The greek potatoes were lemony, but Ididn't taste any garlic or oregano on it. Our favorite was the Mosaka. It was a large portion for $12 and we wish we could eat this dish every week, but this place is half an hour away with no traffic. Their greek coffee was Ok for $3. Service was very friendly. We will be back soon for that Mosaka.

• Visited February 2012