“Take valuables with you, DON'T Leave luggage in room! Watch Out for Thieves!”

Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Fullerton
Discovery Bay, California, United States
“Take valuables with you, DON'T Leave luggage in room! Watch Out for Thieves!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Upon entering the Hotel we thought it looked nice..(different)Not what we saw online or thought we were getting... Looked scary to park out back as was suggested by desk person and was difficult to get to room as we were given no instructions! Old, dirty room, bedding was obviously NOT cleaned between guests and there was limited Hot Water. We arrived Thursday night and brought in ALL of our luggage. We showered and changed, slept in, since we knew we would be staying till Midnight at Disneyland for Halloween Party...Arrived back to Hotel to find some of our luggage had been STOLEN from our room! I went to desk immediately to ask and desk person told me manager Mr. Robert Vasquez would be in at 8:30 am that I could speak with him then that in the time being to call Fullerton P.D. to make a report. I called them, was told an officer would be out shortly, at 3:57 AM officer called from front desk and said I needed to wait till after talking to manager in morning! At 8:30 I went to lobby to find out he was off that day And that a different manager, Sean Silve would be in at noon. I was very upset and in tears since we could not leave the Hotel as my daughter had no clothes left except dirty ones from previous day. I phoned Mr.Vasquez from number on business card and left a message. I then called the police back to file report! Desk clerk got Mr. Vasquez on the phone, as I explained to him what had happened he accused me of lying, said perhaps I had left my luggage at home or took it to my car! When I told him I knew it was in the room when I left and NOT there when I returned he told me "TOO BAD" I then announced to the entire lobby of people waiting to take shuttle to Disneyland what had happened and explained to Mr. Vasquez that I would continue to do so until he tried to help me, his response was :"go ahead, I don't care" and he hung up on me. Definitely not a proper action from a manager...A wonderful police Officer showed up and took a report for me, While she was there another manager, the one coming in at noon, showed up...(9:15) She (the officer) had them run a 'key report' to see who and when my room was entered...It showed housecleaning manager key (LUIS) entered at 2:40, he was questioned and said another person had cleaned our room with his key.. She was questioned, said went in cleaned and left..Another entry was at 5:42pm by someone with a master key!!!!!!!! HMMMMM!!!Right!!! However manager said there was 3 separate keys, he and Mr. Vasquez and that they were together doing something and the 3rd key was at desk and there was 3 people working the desk at time of entry...Inside job for sure!! The manager told officer he would comp our entire 3 night stay, however as soon as officer left he said he would comp only one night! He said he would speak with staff and get back with me, Gee, good thing I am not holding my breath because I still have not heard back from him or anyone else from the Hotel. Since we had nowhere else to go we stayed our last night but took all of our belongings with us during the day so as not to get even more stuff stolen! I would think that a hotel would do MORE to help us! We would just like our clothes and personal belongings back! After getting home I realized several pills from my prescription were missing and my meds were in a similar bag as to the one stolen......Not wondering if first entry took some pills to see what they were and decided to come back for the rest and grabbed wrong bag in haste! At this time I am hoping to hear back from HoJo and Wyndham regarding this matter and for them to do whats right! the clothing value was much more than the little room comp that was given! Guess I'm glad they didn't take COACH purses with checkbooks and personal info that were hidden in the drawer...Very First visit and Very Last and I WILL CONTINUE TO LET THE PUBLIC KNOW OF THIS SITUATION THROUGH USE OF MEDIA AND REVIEW SITES UNTIL THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED SATISFACTORILY!! P.S. When I asked about reviewing security cameras I was told the had none! Does this seem true to you?? If so seems dangerous and unsafe, However I believe they are just covering for an inside job! I see the manager keeps quoting how much you save by staying at this hotel, I guess that's a good thing since you need money to replace your stolen items!

Room Tip: Only stay if you want all your belongings stolen!! Watch out for thieves that work there!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Darla H
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
This issue has been resolved and passed onto the Fullerton Police Department. I can't disclose too much at this point publicly due to the ongoing criminal investigation that I don't want to jeopardize. The guests affected by the thefts have been contacted directly on the results of our internal investigation.

I heard about the issue Monday morning, and within 6 hours of investigation, including reviewing 24 hours of video surveillance, we were able to find the culprit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel location and price was very good. The front desk staff is not the most helpful. I had several issues with my room keys. The staff did not seem to care about guests' complaints. I would not recommend this hotel based on the poor customer service!

• Stayed October 2012
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your review! I have posted a video response on our main website under the "Reviews" section.

Travelers are raving about these Fullerton hotels

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Howard Johnson in Fullerton. I had read lots of reviews abt how great this hotel was, but I was very disappointed and I will never stay here again. Our first room had carpet stains something on the bottom of the curtains not sure if it was throw up or powder. The sheets had come off one side of thetown bed and there was a huge stain, kinda looked like blood. I have 3 little ones and I did not want them staying in these conditions . The next day I asked for a different room, the next one smelled like smoke and it was a non smoking room. He finally went a head and put us in the newer rooms, called the tower (this is the building they show in their pictures to advertise). This room was much better and cleaner and no smells. The next day leaving Disneyland we had waited about 45 min for the shuttle, finally I called to find out the shuttle had been in an accident and they wont be picking anyone up for abt another hour. Having 3 little ones tired, this was not going to work. They have 2 shuttles, they could have sent the other one to stay on schedule. Also they don't have a jacuzzi, and their free breakfast was not good! I was not happy with this hotel at all! I stayed here for the price, but never again will I do that again.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank jgomez0803
Sioux Falls
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Reservation was last minute while driving from San Diego. Price was right. Staff was friendly and prompt. Hotel generally has no bar but a wedding was being held there and bar was opened for it so we were able to enjoy a glass of wine. Hotel needs major facelift. Room was clean. Breakfast was bad. Tasteless.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My family and I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights .

The rooms were OK for the price, I guess but the resturant was really bad. It has no menu, only 4 or 5 choice which were either stirred fried chicken or beef for dinner.
Then all of a sudden, the resturant closed for business on the night our family came back late from Disneyland and we thought we could tolerate a meal at the place. Lucky it was opened up again the next morning for breakfast.

Talking about breakfast, not to mention it only had limited choices but there was no milk for the coffee . They let us use coffee creamer .

However, the staff there were friendly .

BTW, apart from the bad points, there are good points as well . I'd like to mention that staff at receptionist counter were nice and helpful and also the the hotel has 4 washing machines and dryers available which made life a bit easier

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bobo T
CLIO
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We needed a place to stay near our daughter's place for a few days. This was the closest. The room itself needed upgrades: sheer curtain had a huge hole; bathroom faucet leaked, air condition/heat unit noisy; old tv. Housekeeping: needed better vaccuming...ran out of tissues, not enough towels

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Templeton, California
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We arrived with a large group for a trip to Knotts Berry Farm......courteous check in and our rooms were all as we had requested, including 2 handicap rooms.....which was great as 1/2 of the times we request these kinds of rooms, we don't get them....there were no refrigerators in the rooms, you could request one for an additional $10 though....fair enough I guess. No microwave either, but there was one available to use down by the front desk...This hotel was nothing fancy but comfortable and fairly clean...it served its purpose....pool area was awesome, nice cabana's to use for free.....nice gift shop that our group spent much time in:)....there was also a breakfast bar available that was "ok", nothing fancy, but good.....it does cost extra though....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fullerton
The Hotel Fullerton
The Hotel Fullerton
#1 of 11 in Fullerton
Days Inn & Suites Fullerton
Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Lemon Tree Hotel and Suites
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim - Fullerton

Been to Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!