“Great value and good location”

Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Fullerton
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Thought this was the Anaheim Howard Johnson but ended up a good choice as it was close the Fullerton mega centre shops which were really good, as well as plenty of places to choose to eat. Most staff were really efficient and friendly (there was one exception on the front desk - blond). We had a great room that was near the pool and could sit outside on the ground floor. Nothing too flash but good value for money, including the cooked daily breakfast. Sausages, scrambled eggs, mini pancakes and maple syrup - not my usual breakfast but I enjoyed it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that despite the mix-up with locations you were still happy with our hotel. You pointed out some of our greatest strength - Value.

There are some extra savings you had for staying at our hotel rather than one in Anaheim that is further explained on our hotel blog. It's possible you saved almost $60/night.

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

OK , I usually do not base my choice of hotel on other people comments but in this case I should have.
We reserved this hotel because we got a low price, hot breakfast included and free shuttle to Disneyland. You get what you pay for.
We went through the main office to reserve and specifically requested to stay in the tower based on the previous reviews. When we got to the hotel, we were told that the price we paid for was not for the tower and there were no availability in the tower.
As soon as we got to our room, we wanted to leave (rooms 248 and 250).
The carpet was sooooo dirty. I had to wear my flip flops to take a shower because the bottom of the bath was dirty. AC very noisy and didn`t work properly, very humid in the rooms.
We stayed away from the hotel as much as possible to avoid being in the room. We would come back from Disneyland (with ones of the very few shuttles at night) just in time to go to sleep.
Hot breakfast was just OK. Could use a bit of variety.
Because we were not allowed to cancel we stayed for 4 nights, but otherwise we would have gladly paid double the price to stay somewhere else.
NEVER AGAIN WILL WE STAY AT THIS HOTEL...... Or at any HOJO for that matter.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

I apologize for the mix up on the reservation. I'm not exactly sure what may have happened. For tower rooms, there's typically a higher charge and the rooms are reserved specifically for the individuals who pay specifically for the tower rooms.

If you have any issues with your room, PLEASE let the front desk know. We have a full staff on duty pretty much all day and evening that can take care of most issues that come up. In the worse cases, we can usually move you to a different room that will be to your satisfaction.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

If you are looking for a place to just rest up and leave this hotel may be okay. Hotel room was a bit dirty and no connection to the internet. The hot breakfast buffet was okay also.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

I'm sorry your stay wasn't to your satisfaction. If you have issues with your room, please let the front desk move you and we can move you to a different room.

If there are issues with your Internet in the room, the lobby should have strong Internet signal and there are also kiosk computers you're welcome to use.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

We booked a last minute trip to Disneyland for our family of 4 (14 year old, and 9 year old). This was our third trip to Disneyland but our first stay at the Howard Johnson in Fullerton. After we booked the trip, I went on line and read some of the other reviews posted on Trip Advisor and those reviews made me quite nervous but went ahead as planned. The hotel lobby and grounds were nicely decorated. I found the rooms to be clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff weren`t overly helpful as we had a hard time getting a corkscrew and two wine glasses but that was pretty minor. The pool was very clean and heated with lounge chairs and cabanas around the edges. The buffet breakfast was definitely real eggs and really yummy sausages, there was also toast, pancakes, rice, hashbrowns, watermelon, juice, milk and coffee. The buffet breakfast made my picky nine year old happy as well as my hungry 14 year old. The food was always hot and plentiful. The fact that it was free was very appreciated by my husband and myself. I would like to have had some cereals,yogurt and maybe some different fruits just to add to the variety. We loved the heated pool, lounge chairs and cabanas. The hotel was about 15 min drive away from disneyland but the free shuttle ran fairly regularly except for a long break in the afternoons. I would have liked the shuttle to run in the afternoons to make in easier to take a break from disneyland. We did come back to the hotel in the afternoons by city transit - which was very convenient as 1 bus picked you up outside the disneyland gates (outside Captain Kid`s restaurant) and dropped you right outside the hotel. There were lots of places to eat near the hotel, the China Buffet was the best chinese buffet we have ever eaten at and had a lot of western choices to keep the kids happy. there was also a grocery store very close to the hotel. The pool and the buffet breakfast were way better at the HoJo than what we experienced during our two previous trips to disneyland (staying at properties closer to disneyland ) The hotel was full of families who also seemed to be enjoying their stay and we felt safe at all times. We would definitely come back and would recommend it to other families.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

Wow. Thank you so much for your very in-depth and informative review! I will be posting this on our hotel blog. Thank you again.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Horrible service from the moment you check-in to the moment you check-out. Front desk staff is extremely rude and does not know what customer service should be like. The owner and manager themselves are just as rude, wonder where they get it from? Poor management and poor quality rooms. The only elevator to the rooms does not function properly and takes about 5-10 minutes to come down, considering there is only 5 floors. Elevator stopped while my family and kids were inside for a few minutes, not a pleasant experience. Guests of this hotel don't seem very safe either. Drunk old men and women going around with their shirts off in the middle of the night cursing at people.

Rooms were dirty and housekeeping seems to not understand "Do not disturb" means do not knock and say housekeeping! Had to wake up in the morning to point out the sign to the lady who couldn't read or speak English. For the price I paid for, this room was certainly not worth it. At most, maybe a 1-star hotel. The customer service, rooms and breakfast all disgusted me. Will never return.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, this hotel is the worst!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kz378
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

I'm sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. If you'll let me know names of the employees you're referring to, I can research the matter further.

Thank you.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had stayed at this property 5 years ago when it was under another name. It is still one of the best choices for going to Disneyland, Universal Studios and LA tours. Cooked buffet breakfast in the mornings, free shuttes to Disneyland, and other tours available from the hotel as well. It is quiet and in a safe neighborhood, with restaurants within walking distances. The staff is exceptionally nice and helpful. Great value for the money!

Room Tip: Use your AAA Discounts!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank PollyannaDreamgirl
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Thank you very much for your review!

Reviewed May 10, 2011

I work for a resort in Mesa and know what to expect as a guest and whats to be expected from the staff. I feel like I got ripped off as there was nicer hotels in the area that I would have much rather stayed at.
The rooms were very dirty, small and smelled musty. The mirrors in the bathroom had huge black stains from top to bottom that were neglected and seeped into the back of the mirror. Mold and mildew were on the shower and the vanity light above the mirror had a huge amount of rust accumulated. This is where I'm supposed to take a shower!!
The breakfast was the same everyday and was of cheap quality. For $61 a night at my resort you get your room and a full breakfast buffet including a daily changing entree with real eggs, hash browns, bacon and sausage. We also have a variety of fruits and berries, bagels, danishes as well as different kinds of breads. If you eat at the HOJO your gonna get sliced potatoes, powdered eggs, tiny pancakes, cheap sausage, and breakfast rice oh and don't forget the white bread you can toast. And it will be the same every day with absolutely no variations!
I wasn't greeted at all by any of the staff during my entire stay even when I tried to maintain eye contact it was like I was a ghost. One night I went into the gift shop and the guy was sleeping I didn't wanna disturb so I left. The next night I go down again and hes on the phone too busy to help with anything. Very disturbing!
Housekeeping couldn't throw out our box of oatmeal cookies and empty 12 pack box and so it sat on the other side of our hall till we checked out. Its probably still there!
I'd have to say the best part was leaving... I never missed home so much.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank valo2027
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear your stay wasn't satisfactory. Should you ever have issues with the rooms you're in, please let our front desk know as soon as possible. Often times we can move you to a room that is to your satisfaction or take care of any issues you bring up.

The prices we charge for our hotel are very competitive compared to hotels closer to Disneyland, especially when you consider that we do offer a free, hot breakfast and a free shuttle to Disneyland. Parking at Disneyland is $14/day and many hotels next to Disneyland only offer only a more limited, continental breakfast. In addition, in Anaheim, there are often extra hidden fees, including the 17% tax rate, Resort Fees, parking fees, wireless Internet fees, etc.

Pictures of our breakfast can be found on our main website and the eggs we use are freshly cracked every morning.

The gift shop is run by an independent operator and is not managed by the hotel. I apologize on their behalf for their behavior. I'll be sure to forward your concerns to the gift shop manager.

Thank you for your feedback, and I hope next time you visit, you'll see the value that we offer for this area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fullerton
The Hotel Fullerton
Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Holiday Inn Express Fullerton
Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Quality Inn Placentia - Anaheim

Been to Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!