“Ultra sleek place very pricey!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Slates

Slates
Ranked #373 of 1,120 Restaurants in Fresno
“Ultra sleek place very pricey!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Went for Valentines here this year. Felt very pampered. Limited menu for this special day. My main dish the stuffed pork was delish the salad could have been better wilted and blah. Spent $200 with two cocktails for the 2 of us. yeah pricey!

1 Thank Marstips

North Carolina
“Would return multiple times”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Very good. Had the panko crusted halibut with truffle mashed potatoes. Nice to have someone who knows how to cook fish. Also had the asparagus and prosciutto salad. Nice wine list. Only challenge -- finding the darn place. Signage outside seemed non-existent.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank GoDucks99
Minkler
“Great Food and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

We have been to Slates a few times over the last few months and every meal as been great. It is nice to go to a locally owned restaurant and not a chained owned place like Ruth Chris where you just get a Steak on a plate. The menu was large and diverse and the Kobe Beef Meat loaf was outstanding. The Lobster was very good as well. Give this place a try

• Visited March 2011
Fresno, California
“Probably The WORST Restaurant I've Ever Visited”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

Thinking of having a wonderful meal? Then do NOT consider going to Slates! I just returned from one of, if not THE most disappointing meals, ever (and I have dined in some amazing restaurants across the country, so I know whereof I speak). The fact we were the ONLY diners in the restaurant the entire 1 1/2 hours we were there should have been the first red flag; until we were served then I knew why! Even though we were THE only ones in the entire restaurant we were seated at a table that contained a dirty bread plate (and after pointing it out to our server he could have cared less, although 10 minutes later he DID finally bring a replacement). Prior to ordering we were ensured everything appearing on the menu was available, so as an appetizer we ordered filo wrapped duck confit with poached pear - only to be told 10 minutes later that it was no longer available but the chef would substitute duck ravioli instead. Disappointed, we settled for sharing a $12 iceburg wedge salad which was to be served with crumbled bleu cheese and creamy bleu cheese dressing. There was not one crumble of bleu cheese on either of our plates! (Little did we know the shared salad would be ALL we would be served that was edible - had we, we wouldn't have SPLIT the salad.) Next my guest ordered mushroom chicken soup with peppered dumpling. Try as we might, neither of us could locate a mushroom in the entire serving nor was there any semblence of mushroom FLAVOR to be found. In fact, it was as if they had opened a can of beef gravy and tossed a few chicken cubes on top. The black pepper dumpling was white as the driven snow and heavy as a stone. I ordered seafood chowder only to be served corn and bell pepper soup, which had no hint of seafood whatsoever - in fact it totally lacked even seafood flavor - I don't believe it was even made with fish stock. Honestly! Compounding matters was the fact that BOTH bowls had been sitting under the salamander so long they had developed a thick film on top. Deficiencies were pointed out to our server who could have cared less, in fact ultimately my guest sent hers back as inedible. For entrees it was beef strognoff for me and gateau of crepes for my guest. Once again, BOTH had been plated a GOOD thirty+ minutes before serving and although warm, were obviously dry (the crepes were brittle, that's how long it had sat). The gateau was to have been accompanied by a beurre blanc / tomato sauce, which was nothing more than a tablespoon of Ragu spaghetti sauce rediculouly overseasoned with basil. After one bite she flagged down our server and politely asked the remainder of this $23 entree be packaged 'to go'. The $27 'filet' stroganoff was actually sweet to the taste, and the 'filet' stringy and chewy. Again, one bite for me and it was back to the kitchen it went. The check came to $82 and change. What a terrible waste of money, time and effort. I had high expectations going in but left with a profound sense of disappointment. This was a special occasion we were celebrating and Slate's ruined the day. Dine elsewhere ... you won't be missing a THING!

• Visited February 2011
4 Thank BYinFresno
Carlsbad, California
“Upscale atmosphere, wonderful service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

Upscale atmosphere, wonderful service

1 Thank Kellums

Been to Slates? Share your experiences!